Please don't throw me away, breaking my promise

SadieF

Nov 11, 2018
Sadie, thank YOU, it's so good to hear from you. That was so interesting about your dad saying shell shock was a posh way of saying trench foot! Many years ago, when I was at school, I wanted to be a nurse and I did my school holidays as a nurse cadet. I was assigned to a geriatric/psychiatric ward. The folk there, looking back, had dementia but we called it DSS delayed shell shock because this is what it was assumed it was. Oh yes, so understand about losing your mum again ... I am so grateful to you for your encouragement and lovely words. I hope tomorrow when you involve the health care professionals officially goes OK. Thank you so very much for being in touch with me, so appreciated. With love, Geraldine aka Kindred.
Dads in hospital now, undergoing tests, he had a brain scan yesterday, results today. They obviously need to eliminate everything else too, infection etc.
Long day in the waiting room for him and my siblings and I. He thought we were all running away together and was very entertaining for everyone else in the waiting room. It was hard work for my family trying to keep him calm while we waited.
I’ll update when we get the diagnosis.
Much love to you x

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hi @kindred et al
Back from the extremely sunny Middle East. Lovely time with my daughter doing very little, just sun, swim, shop, sleep and repeat! The place has changed in some ways in the last 10 years, but in others it is just the same.
Now taking time off from the post-holiday laundry to catch up on all the goings on here.
What an interesting job @Sad Staffs - I used to write too a long while ago. I wrote training manuals for a large grocery firm - everything from how to stock take, to how to use a till and an idiots guide to wine and spirits!

I tried to relax while I was away, but I do not need to tell you that my mind constantly drifted back to Mum, without visitors for a whole week. Somewhat jet-lagged I raced in at the weekend, wondering how she would be and also if she would remember me. No problem! Apart from saying just once 'please don't ever go away again' - I did not mention my holiday and neither did she. She's been sleeping an awful lot, had a livid arm from flu jab and had obviously had an 'independent' day. She had 'decorated' her room, 'rearranged' all her drawers, wardrobes etc and settled on a stunning footwear ensemble of one sock and odd shoes. It was lovely to see her and know she was OK.

The CH are having a Christmas Fair next week (nothing big, and more for relatives and residents) and I have been asked to have a craft stall. I used to 'do' Craft Fairs and sell some of my bits in local shops, so I am pleased to oblige. However, I haven't had the time or inclination to make and sell since Mum has been poorly, and have donated a large amount of my 'stock' to raffles, auctions, fundraisers etc. Therefore I need to 'remove the proverbial digit' and get sewing. Mum is delighted that she is going to 'help' me on the stall :confused:........ watch this space!

XX

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Hi @kindred et al
Back from the extremely sunny Middle East. Lovely time with my daughter doing very little, just sun, swim, shop, sleep and repeat! The place has changed in some ways in the last 10 years, but in others it is just the same.
Now taking time off from the post-holiday laundry to catch up on all the goings on here.
What an interesting job @Sad Staffs - I used to write too a long while ago. I wrote training manuals for a large grocery firm - everything from how to stock take, to how to use a till and an idiots guide to wine and spirits!

I tried to relax while I was away, but I do not need to tell you that my mind constantly drifted back to Mum, without visitors for a whole week. Somewhat jet-lagged I raced in at the weekend, wondering how she would be and also if she would remember me. No problem! Apart from saying just once 'please don't ever go away again' - I did not mention my holiday and neither did she. She's been sleeping an awful lot, had a livid arm from flu jab and had obviously had an 'independent' day. She had 'decorated' her room, 'rearranged' all her drawers, wardrobes etc and settled on a stunning footwear ensemble of one sock and odd shoes. It was lovely to see her and know she was OK.

The CH are having a Christmas Fair next week (nothing big, and more for relatives and residents) and I have been asked to have a craft stall. I used to 'do' Craft Fairs and sell some of my bits in local shops, so I am pleased to oblige. However, I haven't had the time or inclination to make and sell since Mum has been poorly, and have donated a large amount of my 'stock' to raffles, auctions, fundraisers etc. Therefore I need to 'remove the proverbial digit' and get sewing. Mum is delighted that she is going to 'help' me on the stall :confused:........ watch this space!

XX
Oh what lovely e mail, thank you with all heart, so good to hear, and so well done on having a break like this. Brilliant that you were writer. Love the idea of idiots guide to wine and spirits! Love it too that your mumj was OK! That's so reassuring. so good to hear from you and well well done. With love and best, Geraldine aka kindredxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Dads in hospital now, undergoing tests, he had a brain scan yesterday, results today. They obviously need to eliminate everything else too, infection etc.
Long day in the waiting room for him and my siblings and I. He thought we were all running away together and was very entertaining for everyone else in the waiting room. It was hard work for my family trying to keep him calm while we waited.
I’ll update when we get the diagnosis.
Much love to you x
And to you, Sadie and so good to hear from you, thank you. Oh sweetheart, that he thought you were all running away together!! Well done for this, waiting is a bit of an endurance isn't it. Thank you, I would so appreciate hearing when you get a diagnosis, it's good to be kept in touch and to hear from you. Thank you with all heart. With love, Geraldinexxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Which would you like a small company or medium company or a large one? One selling assets or one buying assets, both are proving tediously complex, the one selling more so - so I suggest I let you have that one.
I'll take that one, then. Can you imagine, when Keith took his Chartered A exams, he had to memorise tax rates and things like that because I spent evening after evening helping him do that, rates for dependent relative, stuff like that ...
So good to hear from you!
Gxxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
What a day!! As I arrive, Keith shouts at me, IT'S THE ONE!! Everyone (who is awake) turns to see his enormous smile for me. Fabulous. The nurses tell me he is so lively and talkative nearly all the time.
Tell the traveller resident we are booked in for the Nile trip for next year and make up a song about it to the tunr of Yellow submarine. Other residents and nurses decide they want to come too so I have promised to make some more bookings.
There's a particularly happy and loving atmosphere there today, really lovely. One of the activity nurses does an activity with peacock feathers and we have a resident talking session on evolution and intelligent design. Then we try to find out what birds will be on the Nile.
I sing Smoke Gets in your Eyes to Keith because we used to dance cheek to cheek to this. One of the nurses tries to see if she could get Keith to stand so we could dance now. He almost makes it but not quite. Never mind.
Then after lunch we play chair skittles, those who are awake. And then we have a birthday party for one of the residents with an amazing still warm from the oven cake!
As I leave Keith calls after me to keep off the grass ...
Thanks guys. Got to do a longer day at work tomorrow so back Thursday and I so love all your messages.
Love and best, Geraldinexxx

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
Hi @kindred et al

XX
So pleased you had a good break, sun, swim, shop and sleep. How lovely, and pleased to hear you are home safe and sound.
Your Mom was obviously very productive in your absence, decorating and rearranging her room.
You mentioning your mom’s footwear reminded me of a young friend I worked with who liked to come to work on the bus in her wellingtons. She always had them on the wrong feet, it looked very odd, but when she took them off it was hard to tell which was left and which right.
I hope the CH Christmas fair goes well. I’m sure your stall will be a huge success as your mom will be helping you.
Take care, love B xx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
OK, today reduced me to tears.
Went in and one of nurses took me aside and told me that Keith stayed in bed all day yesterday and the decision for this was taken because he was so very tired. Am not surprised because he has thrown himself into everything singing and talking for the last two days. So happy enough about that and decide to go upstairs to see him.
As I wait for the lift, the lift doors open and out comes Keith and nurse, Keith in wheelchair. We have a loving reconciliation and Keith is pushed to his usual arm chair.
Then two nurses try to help him into the chair and he stiffens up completely. A third nurse comes and I help but even so, it is impossible and they gently lower him onto the floor. All well and they get a fourth nurse and he is helped into the chair.
But it took me back so completely to when he would fall out of bed three, four times a night and I would have to try to get him back. social services said to either throw a blanket over him and leave him or call 999. I remember hearing that bleak advice- and what else could they say - and dear God, I started to cry. Immediately one of the nurses came and was so kind and I stopped crying quickly, but it was a terrible reminder of the life I used to have to lead.
Anyway, rest of the day lovely and Keith said to me, you are good, you beautiful lady.
And in the afternoon we had a herbal tea party. A posh tea party and loads of herbs to try to recognise. It was great and very engaging. As I left, first of all Keith called out that I had to remember to get dandelion leaves for the rabbit (we once had) and then the nurses called out, we love you ..
and oh boy, I love them ...
Thanks guys, here we are again!
Geraldinexxxx

Rosebush

Apr 2, 2018
Went in and one of nurses took me aside and told me that Keith stayed in bed all day yesterday and the decision for this was taken because he was so very tired. Am not surprised because he has thrown himself into everything singing and talking for the last two days. So happy enough about that and decide to go upstairs to see him.
As I wait for the lift, the lift doors open and out comes Keith and nurse, Keith in wheelchair. We have a loving reconciliation and Keith is pushed to his usual arm chair.
Then two nurses try to help him into the chair and he stiffens up completely. A third nurse comes and I help but even so, it is impossible and they gently lower him onto the floor. All well and they get a fourth nurse and he is helped into the chair.
But it took me back so completely to when he would fall out of bed three, four times a night and I would have to try to get him back. social services said to either throw a blanket over him and leave him or call 999. I remember hearing that bleak advice- and what else could they say - and dear God, I started to cry. Immediately one of the nurses came and was so kind and I stopped crying quickly, but it was a terrible reminder of the life I used to have to lead.
Anyway, rest of the day lovely and Keith said to me, you are good, you beautiful lady.
And in the afternoon we had a herbal tea party. A posh tea party and loads of herbs to try to recognise. It was great and very engaging. As I left, first of all Keith called out that I had to remember to get dandelion leaves for the rabbit (we once had) and then the nurses called out, we love you ..
Geraldinexxxx
Hope Keith is better tomorrow, take care and we all love you too:p. Lxx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Keith probably just burnt out so needed to recoup. I trust is all is well tomorrow. Catch a virtual hug from me. X

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
Geraldinexxxx
Dear dear Geraldine
Keith said today something so many of us think.... you are good, you are a beautiful lady ..... Keith, the residents and to so many of us here.
I’m so sorry you had such a fright and a distressing time today. Your posts are so uplifting, and you are so supportive to so many of us, that we care how you are.
I hope tomorrow’s visit will be less traumatic and upsetting.
The nurses know your value, no wonder they love you.
With much love, Barbara xx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Dear dear Geraldine
Keith said today something so many of us think.... you are good, you are a beautiful lady ..... Keith, the residents and to so many of us here.
I’m so sorry you had such a fright and a distressing time today. Your posts are so uplifting, and you are so supportive to so many of us, that we care how you are.
I hope tomorrow’s visit will be less traumatic and upsetting.
The nurses know your value, no wonder they love you.
With much love, Barbara xx
Oh Barbara thank you, what a beautiful post, and a huge encouragement ... thank you, I am longing to be with him again but have to wait a few hours first!! with love and thanks, Geraldinexxx

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
Good gracious. I am utterly flattened.
Arrived to find staff had created a kind of Keith and Geraldine corner with photos and sayings above where Keith and I sit! That was lovely.
Keith came down and told me I had to up my game, well, fair enough, always time to get a grip guys. The atmosphere was sleepy everywhere and bit low which often means something amazing will happen to perk it up ...
Talked to individuals until lunch AND THEN after lunch we had music. I don't normally stay on a Friday as I have church group but we have a break this week so I stayed. It was this husband and wife team who sing country and western and I had been told they were good but they were MAGNIFICENT. So many residents dancing with the nurses, so much hand jiving. I kept moving between this concert and Keith who sits aside on times like these as does not like it too loud, but he was foot tapping and humming along ... Everyone was included in some way and the Elvis songs were so appreciated. They let me have the mic to sing Delilah which as you know is my party piece ...
Oh stunning, magical. What an afternoon!
Am completely knackered, must start acting my age or something!
Thanks folks, that was some adventure. With love and best, Geraldinexxxxx

Sad Staffs

Jun 26, 2018
Good gracious. I am utterly flattened.
Arrived to find staff had created a kind of Keith and Geraldine corner with photos and sayings above where Keith and I sit! That was lovely.
Keith came down and told me I had to up my game, well, fair enough, always time to get a grip guys. The atmosphere was sleepy everywhere and bit low which often means something amazing will happen to perk it up ...
Talked to individuals until lunch AND THEN after lunch we had music. I don't normally stay on a Friday as I have church group but we have a break this week so I stayed. It was this husband and wife team who sing country and western and I had been told they were good but they were MAGNIFICENT. So many residents dancing with the nurses, so much hand jiving. I kept moving between this concert and Keith who sits aside on times like these as does not like it too loud, but he was foot tapping and humming along ... Everyone was included in some way and the Elvis songs were so appreciated. They let me have the mic to sing Delilah which as you know is my party piece ...
Oh stunning, magical. What an afternoon!
Am completely knackered, must start acting my age or something!
Thanks folks, that was some adventure. With love and best, Geraldinexxxxx
Never, never, never... I don’t know what age you are, but.... we all love you just the way you are. I think that’s a song? One for your repertoire perhaps?
What a fab visit. How lovely that they created a G and K special corner. I hope you took pictures for your memory album.
I want to hear you singing Delilah. It’s in my mind, I’m singing along, just can’t visualise you, but it will come, one day.
I’ve had a bad day, following my high from yesterday. Too much to think about, everything ends up in a fight, verbally thank goodness.
Your post lifts my spirit.
So special Geraldine....
Much love to my friend, Barbara xx