Pills

Dalek

Apr 4, 2024
Hi to everyone on here my name is Roger and I'm caring for my wife Barbara who has Altzheimers,recently she was prescribed 2 tablets to help with her mood,1 in the morning and 1 at bedtime,I've discovered that the morning tablet 20mg she has hidden down the side of the seat cushion 3 of them even though she assured me that she'd swollen them,this is particularly hurtful as yesterday i had to deal with her being very anxious and distressed when that is what these tablets are supposed to help with,has anyone else come across this.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hello @Dalek I would think this is all too familiar for many carers. When we moved my mum into a care home, we found all manner of things tucked away including meds for infections and the like. This is why you need to find a way to ensure the tablet has a gone down. From your wife’s point of view she won’t know/ remember what the meds are for and so spit them out incase they are bad for her thus thwarting any attempt to help her feel better.

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
My mother's carer's were trained to hand her the tablets and a glass of water and then stand and watch until she had had a drink and, hopefully, swallowed them.
They seem to use the same procedure in her care home, but I did once see one PWD who still held the tablets in her mouth after the carer had walked away.
It is difficult.