it's the beginning of the end.....worried!

illmyselfandoverwhelmed

Jan 9, 2022
RIP Nan
Nan passed this morning peacefully
We thought Nan would have a few weeks left at least, as Nan still had an appetite.
But yesterday after Lunch she slept, couldn't really be woken, had no tea or drink, and her breathing was 45 breaths per minute and shallow. Nan also had dihorreah. D
Nan had some more in the night and then her vitals dropped.
Nan passed a few hours after.

Thank you for everything Nan, and I am relieved that your journey that you hated as much as we did has now been and passed peacefully.

Thank you also to everyone on here for your messages and support since August of last year.
@tomp9 . So sorry to hear of your loss. I hope it is of some comfort to you that she passed peacefully x

Sonya1

Nov 26, 2022
RIP Nan
Nan passed this morning peacefully
We thought Nan would have a few weeks left at least, as Nan still had an appetite.
But yesterday after Lunch she slept, couldn't really be woken, had no tea or drink, and her breathing was 45 breaths per minute and shallow. Nan also had dihorreah. D
Nan had some more in the night and then her vitals dropped.
Nan passed a few hours after.

Thank you for everything Nan, and I am relieved that your journey that you hated as much as we did has now been and passed peacefully.

Thank you also to everyone on here for your messages and support since August of last year.
I am both sorry because you have lost your dear Nan, and thankful for her that she left this horrible disease behind peacefully. I posted my earlier reply to your last post before I saw this one for some reason, so please don't think I intended to be insensitive in any way. I'm sure she would love how much you cared for her x

tomp9

Aug 27, 2022
Thank you everyone for your kind messages.

It seems out of all of us, I am the one who has taken Nans passing the least worst so far as I'm wondering if this is normal?

So I was upset for an hour or two after I learned of Nans passing, but since then, bar the odd teary moment over the last few days, I feel OK. I have not lost my appetite (which I thought I would, as going through other types of grief in my life, the appetite is the first to go)
I feel relived and calm, but fairly tired. I'm a little concerned that I am not showing much emotion.
I don't feel like I am in shock.

Is this normal?

This is the first time I have lost someone close to me so I have nothing to compare it against.
During relationship breakups I find a loss of appetite and lots of tears, but no so with Nans passing.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
@tomp9 , I think grief affects us in all sorts of ways. So try to accept how you are feeling. It can hit you when you least accept it.

Sonya1

Nov 26, 2022
Thank you everyone for your kind messages.

It seems out of all of us, I am the one who has taken Nans passing the least worst so far as I'm wondering if this is normal?

So I was upset for an hour or two after I learned of Nans passing, but since then, bar the odd teary moment over the last few days, I feel OK. I have not lost my appetite (which I thought I would, as going through other types of grief in my life, the appetite is the first to go)
I feel relived and calm, but fairly tired. I'm a little concerned that I am not showing much emotion.
I don't feel like I am in shock.

Is this normal?

This is the first time I have lost someone close to me so I have nothing to compare it against.
During relationship breakups I find a loss of appetite and lots of tears, but no so with Nans passing.
I'm not sure that there is any 'normal' with grief to be honest.... also with a progressive condition like a dementia, we as families have much time where we actively grieve for the person we are losing bit by bit whilst they are still here. I think maybe we also grieve for the indignities they have to suffer, for how much they would hate their situation and, the worst for me (and my Dad is still with us - in body at least), we grieve for them in fear that they may be feeling distress and fear.
So we do a lot of our grieving whilst our loved one is still here.
At the moment, and recently, you have been bravely able to share your Nan's experience on here and perhaps this has helped you to process some of your feelings too.
Please be kind to yourself and dont worry about what's normal.....whichever way you process your loss and move forward to adjust to life without your Nan who you plainly love so much; will be right for *you*. It may ebb and flow gently, it may come like a storm and leave you battered, it may sneak up on you in memories, or a scent, or a feeling, it may leave you alone for a while and come when you are ready..... none of us can really know for sure.