Newbie needs advice please re test scorings

Pickalily

Apr 21, 2014
Hi, my nearly 81yr old husband had a memory test (MMSE) at our local surgery which he failed quite badly and was referred to the memory clinic. He was also told not to drive until further tests. Since then he has been unbearable to live with and ranting about it (not being able to drive) to anyone who will listen. He hardly went anywhere anyway!! At the memory clinic he presented quite well on some things, less on others, and has been booked for a CT scan before a follow up visit. Still told not to drive.
The letter to our GP has given him a score of 84% on the Addenbrookes Cognitive test and 12 on the Frontal lobe test. Does anyone know if these scores point to a diagnosis of dementia. I will be upset if these are 'normal' scores, as I KNOW there is something wrong - so do our friends and it would mean it would be back to square one. He cannot accept that he cant drive and has bought a kids electric scooter to visit his friend 1 1/2 miles away, one third of the journey is on a main road without pavements!! Buses go that way and I am willing to drive him there and back. I am pulling my hair out to know what to do. It will be another 5 weeks or so before our next appointment for a decision, but I need to know now for my own sanity!!

PeggySmith

Apr 16, 2012
BANES
Hi Pickalily and welcome to Talking Point. I am no expert but wanted to give you a welcome. I've looked up the tests and found this for the Addenbrookes one:
Scores in the mid 80’s suggest serious cognitive impairment or dementia. Most healthy elderly individuals will score in the 90’s.
http://www.drphilipmorris.com/assessing-memory-loss/

As far as the frontal lobe test is concerned, I've never heard of it but one article I found suggested it might be the MMSE test. If that's right, a score of 12 is quite low.

PLEASE remember that I'm not a medical or care professional and I might be entirely wrong about this. I'm sure someone who does know will be along in a minute:)

Sringtime

Jan 9, 2014
Cheshire
Hi, my nearly 81yr old husband had a memory test (MMSE) at our local surgery which he failed quite badly and was referred to the memory clinic. He was also told not to drive until further tests. Since then he has been unbearable to live with and ranting about it (not being able to drive) to anyone who will listen. He hardly went anywhere anyway!! At the memory clinic he presented quite well on some things, less on others, and has been booked for a CT scan before a follow up visit. Still told not to drive.
The letter to our GP has given him a score of 84% on the Addenbrookes Cognitive test and 12 on the Frontal lobe test. Does anyone know if these scores point to a diagnosis of dementia. I will be upset if these are 'normal' scores, as I KNOW there is something wrong - so do our friends and it would mean it would be back to square one. He cannot accept that he cant drive and has bought a kids electric scooter to visit his friend 1 1/2 miles away, one third of the journey is on a main road without pavements!! Buses go that way and I am willing to drive him there and back. I am pulling my hair out to know what to do. It will be another 5 weeks or so before our next appointment for a decision, but I need to know now for my own sanity!!

Hello, I am sorry to read how frustrated you are feeling. I understand, that feeling of knowing there is "something wrong" as I felt very similar whilst we were waiting for my OH appointment at the Memory Clinic. I don't know anything about scores so I cannot help you sorry. But, could you make an an appointment with your husbands GP to discuss how you are feeling, and ask what the Docs feelings are on the scores. Also how about ringing the Memory Clinic up and having a chat with how you are feeling and how it is affecting you, they may be able to give you some more information to help you. All the best. x

Pickalily

Apr 21, 2014
Thank you PeggySmith and Springtime for taking the time to reply. The link to drphilip morris was a big help and makes sense, but I think the frontal lobe score is something else altogether. Maybe I will go to the surgery and chat with our Doctor soon. Thank you

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
star2024