New here, looking for advice I guess?

wallflower92

Nov 26, 2023
Hi all! Hope everyone is well. Firstly, it is lovely to find this forum, we as a family have been struggling with the support side for so long, and although it's awful everyone is navigating this heartbreaking disease, it is somewhat comforting that others feel similar!

My Nan was diagnosed with Alzheimers a little over a year ago. She has absolutely no insight into it at all and just refers to it as her "short term memory". Due to other complex physical health needs, she has an almost round-the-clock care package in her own home, staffed by family members and close family friends, which we are SO grateful for!

Recently she has had to start wearing incontinence pads - we aren't sure if this is due to loss of bladder control, waiting too long to go to the toilet, or just (excuse my insensitivity) laziness. She is also refusing to shower most of the time, and when she does shower, she will only do this when certain carers are with her. She also refuses to leave the house most of the time, and will just sit in front of the TV and won't do any form of cognitive activities, despite us trying to explain the benefits of this to her. I really want to get her to some social groups as think it would really help, but she flat out refuses. It really does feel like she has given up.

Some of the family are questioning whether it is still best for her to live in her own home. Due to the emotional side of caring for family, some carers feel as though they won't be able to provide the enhanced personal care my Nan requires. She has been adamant she doesn't want to leave her home, and we don't want her to either, but I'm questioning if she would have a better quality of life elsewhere, albeit it won't be the almost round-the-clock care she currently gets.

It's so difficult even thinking about this as I'm riddled with guilt at even the thought. Whoever else has been in this position before will understand I'm sure. If you have, how do you know it is time to start thinking about alternative housing? Or how did you navigate the resisting personal care or social activities etc?

Any advice would help! Thanks in advance x

Sue741215

Oct 18, 2019
First let me say you should dispense with the guilt. If you take the decision that your nan needs to be in residential care then you are doing the best for her. There is no easy answer about when it is time for a care home. in practical terms if someone is not self funding it seems to be when the person needs more than 4 care visits a day and/or if she is wandering or otherwise putting herself in harms way. It sounds as though the family is going it alone but it may be useful to get a care assessment and get some paid carers funded by your nan if she can afford it or if not she should get support from the local authority. I assume she is claiming attendance allowance - not that that amount goes far for paid care.. It will be useful to have an assessment especially as there seems to be some disagreement in the family as to the best way forward. This will help you to determine what her needs are, then look at what you can provide between you and if the decision is residential care you will feel better doing it on the advice of a professional.

The personal care and activities is a tricky one - I read recently about a carer who almost forced a person with dementia to go to and take part in activities and eventually they got used to it and took part willingly. They tend to be creatures of habit so I can see this might work but I haven't had much success with my husband. My husband too is reluctant to wash or shower but at the moment usually succumbs to pressure to do it. i think external carers are sometimes more successful than family carers. Perhaps this is because it is a set routine when a carer comes and they expect it.

I would just say do the best you can but don't worry about what you can't achieve. We all tend to muddle through finding what works for us though it is good to hear other's techniques and hopefully you will get more replies with ideas.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @wallflower92 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to hear about your Nan. Many people here have faced similar situations and taken the option of care provided by a team of people that a move into residential care offers. It isn't necessarily right in every case but, in my experience, can make for a better quality of life and less stress for the person, their carers and family. This guide is worth reading:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazlin