Care costs live in carer

annie1962

Feb 11, 2021
Hello everyone
Does anybody know whether the local authority would fund a live in carer for my Mum (who’s savings are below the £23k limit) rather than pay care home costs?
Grateful for any thoughts / advice please?
Many thanks
Annie

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
In short no they won’t, it costs way more than paying for a care home.
In some rare cases an LA will pay for live in care but it really is the exception not the rule.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Yet we all do it if not for free then carers allowance, sums don't add up to me. K
I know. I’ve said before that if every unpaid carer went on strike for me day, the country would come to a standstill. Not one unpaid carer is ever given their dues or any respect.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Hello everyone
Does anybody know whether the local authority would fund a live in carer for my Mum (who’s savings are below the £23k limit) rather than pay care home costs?
Grateful for any thoughts / advice please?
Many thanks
Annie
We're self funding with Mum in residentially for the last 2 year with a lot more to come. Without wishing to sound mean, if people who are self-funding can't afford a live-in, would it be right for someone else to get this type of care funded by the tax payer?
Your Mum will be assessed and get a maximum of 4, 1 hour carer visits a day and if this is insufficient, she may be offered residential.

damplink

Oct 31, 2022
Have just been in this position ... ASC said that they might poss fund a live in carer at a push but not if overnight waking care was needed. SO it is worth a try. In the end a move for my Mum was inevitable as she was going to need more than one carer for transfers in near future.