mom's early stage dementia

verybluedaughte

May 26, 2014
My mom has just been diagnosed with early-moderate dementia. She is 73 and my dad is 81. Both are in good health. They live an hour and a half from my family. I would like to have them sell their home and move into an apartment closer to me. Will this be a wise move as they want to stay in their home for now. They both want to stay where they are familiar with their surroundings and friends. What should I do?

legolover

Jul 25, 2011
West Midlands
I understand you feel so concerned for your mum and dad, and it isn't easy when they are a distance away and you can't just pop round. But on balance i would say if they want to stay where they feel at home its best to support this rather than all the disruption of a move. Try to find out what services are available locally to them, such as day centres, think about how they manage day to day activities such as shopping, laundry, cleaning and do they need help with any of these. Also encourage them to visit their GP with you accompanying them,so you can be introduced to the GP. Also get Power of attorney if you haven't already done so. As they are both fit, at this stage you are planning ahead so you can support them in the future

bubby

May 26, 2014
father in law referral to memory clinic

hi there

I have just been to the doctors with my father in law for the 2nd time for the 2nd memory test. each visit dad failed the memory test and the doctor has now referred dad to a memory clinic, can anyone tell me whats involved in the next stage? he lives in Buckinghamshire. he is 83 and very angry at the moment his score at the doctor was 1 point! she has also notified DVLA that he shouldn't be driving due to poor diabetes control also.

legolover

Jul 25, 2011
West Midlands
Hi bubby you should make your own thread as you have posted at the end of a different topic. But a quick answer is that the doc at the memory clinic will want to talk to them in detail about how they are coping and ask questions to test memory similar to what the GP did. It helps if you can go along and provide your own views and diary of any incidents or concerns

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloJb