Mum diagnosed with early stage Alzheimer's

sooetie

Jul 31, 2011
Essex
Hi.

I originally joined the forum in 2011 as my mum had memory problems. I got her to the memory clinic in 2013 and they said it was age related but as it seems to have got worse I finally got her to go back in Sep 2016. She was given an MRI scan 3 weeks later and on Monday we saw the consultant who says she has early stage Alzheimer's. She is 79 now.

I was expecting it so practically I was prepared. We did both LPoA in 2014 on the advice of Mum's friends and who originally advised I get her to the memory clinic. They are great as they are not only supportive to mum but me also. In December I moved into a flat about 200 yards from mum as she wouldn't consider moving in with me and my sons ( until I had sold the house then brought it up as an option). Mum is very independant /stubborn so as she is in a warden assisted flat it seems the best option.

So my main query is about the meds and what they do. The consultant said we had got the diagnosis very early. However reading the literature given, the meds mum was prescribed was Memantine which is supposedly for moderate to severe cases. Is this often prescribed in early cases? Apart from high blood pressure mum is fit and well and active.

I have been following the forums over the last 5 years and picked up a lot of tips which have been great but I think you may be seeing me around a lot more now.

Thanks
Sue

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
It's usually either Donepezil or Memantine, depending on someone's other medical problems. She will start with a lower dose, increased after four weeks or so, to give doctor a chance to look for side effects. None of them are miracle drugs, they can halt or slow down progression for a while but not forever. Usually you stay on them for life though, side effects permitting.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire
My husband was prescribed donepezil which seemed to hold things completely for the first 6 months. From then there was fairly gradual deterioration for probably over a year then deterioration became quicker. He is still on the donepezil and I have asked if it is still doing anything. The answer was probably not but some people have experienced more rapid deterioration if taken off the medication and that can't be reversed. So he is still on it and is expected to be indefinitely.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Has your mum got a heart problem?
Mum couldnt be prescribed doepezil at first because it slows the heart rate down. Later her heart medication was reviewed and they thought she would be OK on donepezil.