Me,still copingšŸ˜©

sunshine chrissy

Apr 1, 2022
Cheshire
Thanks to all for hoping the assessment went well,it did,James the social worker was here for an hour,he had all the info going back more than a year ago,I was well impressed,he was so helpful.He said he'd arrange another 2 days at the daycare centre and a weeks respite every 5/6 weeks,I was so happy when he'd gone.Then I got a phonecall from him,daycare centre won't take him for more than the one day a week,he won't interact with anyone,won't join in with any activities and wants to go home the whole time he's therešŸ˜©It's an activity focused place so doesn't meet his needs.He couldn't have been more sympathetic so he's now trying to get 2 weeks respite for him so I can have a break and it gives him and the team time to source all the daycare centres that can help!!! I'm thinking now that it's time for residential care? FTD is such a hard condition to cope with and he said that's what he wants to look into regarding care homes/daycare,finding one that can understand his needs.So I was upbeat this morning and now I feel disheartened againšŸ„²

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
at least it is something and its making them look for respite and other things. i dont think they were doing that before. respite would be good.

nita

Dec 30, 2011
Essex
Maybe the 2 week respite will become permanent if the home can take him and the SW can arrange it. Don't despair!

JaxG

May 15, 2021
I do think it sounds like it is time for residential care? What you have both been through has been horrendous. It is stressful and exhausting for you, but it must also be confusing and frightening for your husband and it sounds like it is becoming impossible to keep him safe. It is such a terrible, cruel disease, it has robbed you both of so much, but you also have a right to some quality of life and this all sounds unsustainable.

sunshine chrissy

Apr 1, 2022
Cheshire
Maybe the 2 week respite will become permanent if the home can take him and the SW can arrange it. Don't despair!
I think this may happen,I got a phonecall this morning,they've found him a place in a local care home for 2 weeks starting Monday,they'll see what I have to cope with on a daily basis,it's becoming impossible now.I'm so sad but relieved at the same time,he won't let me out of his sight lately,my son is coming with me when he goes in on Monday,he's my rock right now as are all my family.

sunshine chrissy

Apr 1, 2022
Cheshire
I do think it sounds like it is time for residential care? What you have both been through has been horrendous. It is stressful and exhausting for you, but it must also be confusing and frightening for your husband and it sounds like it is becoming impossible to keep him safe. It is such a terrible, cruel disease, it has robbed you both of so much, but you also have a right to some quality of life and this all sounds unsustainable.
He needs 24/7 supervision now,there's been a few incidents these last few weeks,he's got a place in a local care home for 2 weeks respite starting Monday,I've a feeling he won't come back,mixed emotions but it's got to be.he's declining bit by bit each week,it's been so fast it's hard to take in,this FTD has to be the most evil of all dementiašŸ˜­

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Iā€™m so pleased the social worker has acted quickly for you @sunshine chrissy

Such mixed emotions for you. Iā€™m glad ur son is around to support you.

You will have some sleep and rest. Youā€™re right the care home will see what ur managing and will be able to note this for SS.

I do hope the way ahead is as smooth as it can be,

It is a most dreadful disease.

JaxG

May 15, 2021
I am so sorry @sunshine chrissy , it's so hard to see someone you love reduced and tormented so much by this cruel disease. I am so glad your son is with you, good luck Monday, I am glad you are getting the help you both so desperately need. ā¤ļø ā¤ļø

Trish Corsi

Oct 12, 2023
I'm just starting my journey and it is so encouraging to find an online support group. My daughter and I have kind of figured out he had some type of "incident" in May Mothers Day. I came home from hospital May 1 recovering from surgery of fractured hip so I have not been as there for him until decently. I lucked out having my sister here to help me out but she moved to Hawaii last week. This is hard and I'm wondering if anyone has noticed an ill effects from Donezipal(?)

sunshine chrissy

Apr 1, 2022
Cheshire
I'm just starting my journey and it is so encouraging to find an online support group. My daughter and I have kind of figured out he had some type of "incident" in May Mothers Day. I came home from hospital May 1 recovering from surgery of fractured hip so I have not been as there for him until decently. I lucked out having my sister here to help me out but she moved to Hawaii last week. This is hard and I'm wondering if anyone has noticed an ill effects from Donezipal(?)
My husband has been on this,also sertraline,olanzipane,mirtazapine,zopiclone and now risperidone,nothing has had any effect whatsoever,such is the way with Frontotempural dementiašŸ˜©