Grandparents

syc443

Apr 29, 2014
Nottingham
Hi,

My Mum has Alzheimer's and is now being cared for in a residential unit close to our home. My daughter is now 9 and up until she was 6 Mum lived with us. She has recently said that she would like to talk to other children who are in a similar situation and would understand (from a childs' point of view) what she is experiencing and how she is feeling.

Does anybody know of any forums where children may be involved in this capacity?

Thanks

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi syc443 :)

Not sure where you live, but in lots of areas there are young Carers support services via Spurgeons. They even do after school clubs and outings, if that was appropriate :

http://www.spurgeons.org/young-carers/

Or, your local Carers organisation may have ideas / forum / services. Google carers and your location.....

Good luck :) It sounds like you have a very loving daughter :)

Lindy xx

Last edited:

syc443

Apr 29, 2014
Nottingham
Thanks for that, I've contacted 'young carers.net' and will try Spurgeons too. All she wants to do is speak to other children in her position - you wouldn't believe how difficult it has been trying to find somewhere - it seems that the idea hasn't been put out there, although I guess there aren't so many children who live with grandparents who go into this awful decline and it is different when you witness it first hand rather than visiting (however regularly) and then going back to your own life. I guess we don't always think of the effect on the children involved.

One society said what a fantastic idea it was but then they couldn't help us because we live in the county and not the city! I live in hope.

Also plan to set her up on the Alzheimer's childrens talking point - maybe she'll make a contact there that will help.

Last edited:

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I would talk to the heads of local schools, including your child's own. There are bound to be lots of children in similar situations, perhaps the schools could unite to facilitate young people meeting each other with a teacher overseeing.

How fabulous would it be for you daughter's idea to start a group that could help her and other children maybe for the long term future. You never know.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I would talk to the heads of local schools, including your child's own. There are bound to be lots of children in similar situations, perhaps the schools could unite to facilitate young people meeting each other with a teacher overseeing.

How fabulous would it be for you daughter's idea to start a group that could help her and other children maybe for the long term future. You never know.

Great idea :) Quite a few of the schools around here have 'young Carers link workers' although they're not all very active!

By the way, I read somewhere (Carers UK website, I think) that there are at least 180,000 young Carers (ie Carers under the age of 18) at any one time :eek: It's difficult to get accurate numbers though as they are often 'under the radar' and not recorded on census questions as adults are

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
star2024