Difference between care and nursing home?

Marmalademudpie

Dec 14, 2023
Hi
I’m wondering if anyone can advise please. My mum has recently been in hospital as her knees flared up with what we thought was arthritis. But the hospital said it was gout? Unknown to us that it was gout. She needed assistance to mobilise once the pain was under control. She’s now 9 days later walking with a frame and assistance 1 person for safety.
She has dementia also, she can hold a conversation but gets very anxious about living alone with care. Sometimes think’s people are in the room that are not.
She with guidance use the toilet but needs some assistance as she gets confused and also is unsure what to do with the loo roll after use! She gets words mixed up. She had 2 falls within the last year. I’ve just given a few examples of where she is at with dementia/Alzheimer’s.
The hospital is sending her with the family in agreement to a residential care home, I chose it out of a bad list of others and it seems very nice with good reports and reviews. I did view also.
The only thing I have just noticed is it doesn’t offer nursing care but it does offer dementia care.

I really don’t want her to be passed pillar to post as she is 92, the least disruptive moving intended. Am I doing the right thing if the residential care home is not nursing also? I’m not sure when the person is to need nursing care with this condition? She sometimes in the hospital talks out loud about other people for example ‘look at that man’s big tummy’ when it’s a lady. I am just concerned would the home management see this as upsetting the other residents? As it’s stated can be asked to leave if upsetting the other residents.
Otherwise she’s very friendly.

X

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @Marmalademudpie and I am sorry to read about your Mum.

If you have found a residential care home that you feel would suit her needs adequately, and they are happy to take her, then that sounds sensible. She will be cared for 24/7, with personal care if needed and eating/drinking etc too if she needs it... a whole host of caring... and also providing activities for those who are able and want to join in. And if it offers dementia care, then it sounds a good solution. My own Mum went into a residential care home for a number of years that provided dementia care and it worked out very well.

The only difference with a nursing home is that essentially, a nursing home will also have a registered nurse on site 24 hours a day, for example.

My own Mum would say ' what does she thinks she looks like'' to a resident's relative as they came into visit, quite loudly too!!. I was mortified at first, but it was all accepted that it was part of the dementia.

I hope this may help reassure you in some way.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Marmalademudpie

My husband was in a residential care home. Before he was admitted I asked if he would be moved if he needed more care and was promised he would stay there until the end of life.

I took them at face value and they kept their word.

Towards the end of life, he had aspiration pneumonia and was hospitalised. The care home accepted him back.

Marmalademudpie

Dec 14, 2023
Hello @Marmalademudpie and I am sorry to read about your Mum.

If you have found a residential care home that you feel would suit her needs adequately, and they are happy to take her, then that sounds sensible. She will be cared for 24/7, with personal care if needed and eating/drinking etc too if she needs it... a whole host of caring... and also providing activities for those who are able and want to join in. And if it offers dementia care, then it sounds a good solution. My own Mum went into a residential care home for a number of years that provided dementia care and it worked out very well.

The only difference with a nursing home is that essentially, a nursing home will also have a registered nurse on site 24 hours a day, for example.

My own Mum would say ' what does she thinks she looks like'' to a resident's relative as they came into visit, quite loudly too!!. I was mortified at first, but it was all accepted that it was part of the dementia.

I hope this may help reassure you in some way.
Thankyou for your message. That does reassure me a lot. Sounds as if it’s not just my mum that comes out with loud statements lol. If I say shhhh she says loudly They can’t hear me 😩😝😂 it’s a relief that it’s perhaps something that the care home should expect then.
I know the care home has their own registered Dr whom visits the home twice a week.

Marmalademudpie

Dec 14, 2023
Hello @Marmalademudpie

My husband was in a residential care home. Before he was admitted I asked if he would be moved if he needed more care and was promised he would stay there until the end of life.

I took them at face value and they kept their word.

Towards the end of life, he had aspiration pneumonia and was hospitalised. The care home accepted him back.
Hi 👋

Thank you for your reply

That’s very sad to hear of your loss. The home sounds wonderful and I’m perhaps worrying that any complications they will ask her to leave. I never thought to ask that question and I shall today. I do hope they have that empathetic approach to the residents as you and your care home had for your dad. ❤️

X

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mackanu2