Dementia’s journey

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
Hi @Dutchman

I apologise if my thoughts upset you.

You said "How it could have been different"
I'm sorry but in my humble view it could not have been different. It was as it was. It was either her genes for dementia or lifestyle, or your genes for your cancer or lifestyle.
What has happened has happened. It's over and done with.
At what or with whom are you angry? Does being angry change anything? Does it help you?
Yes, it could now be different, that is, your view of things could be different, but you are who you are, and so you have reacted as you have reacted.
You had a great relationship with your wife, and thankfully many happy years and memories together. Let those thoughts take centre stage.

I don't know, but I expect your late wife would want you to continue to live your life to the full going forward. That doesn't mean you forget any of the past, but the horrible years is a small percentage of the whole, and that perspective lessens its importance compared with the good years.

My wife had cancer (now in remission), and then dementia and still has dementia and will have until it eventually kills her. I can't find it in me to be angry at her. I'm not angry with an illness. I can't go back and change anything in the past. I've been full time caring for my OH for 7 years now, and for all I know it may be another 7 years or more to go.
All I feel I can do is to deal with what's in front of me and try and make the best of it. I can't change it,
I also had a great relationship with my wife, and thankfully 50 happy years and memories together, that I can recall for which I am truly grateful.

CAL Y

Jul 17, 2021
Hello @Chizz . Thank you for such an insightful post. I do agree with you.
I have never understood the “stages of grief”
I am twice widowed now, the first time was at the relatively young age of 39.
One thing that I never felt was anger because I was secure in the knowledge that neither one of my husbands would have ”left” if they had been given a say in the matter.

I realise that we all have different personalities and I feel sad for @Dutchman
I believe that if I choose to grieve for the rest of my final years, I would be throwing aside most of my adult life .

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hello @Chizz . Thank you for such an insightful post. I do agree with you.
I have never understood the “stages of grief”
I am twice widowed now, the first time was at the relatively young age of 39.
One thing that I never felt was anger because I was secure in the knowledge that neither one of my husbands would have ”left” if they had been given a say in the matter.

I realise that we all have different personalities and I feel sad for @Dutchman
I believe that if I choose to grieve for the rest of my final years, I would be throwing aside most of my adult life .
Yes @CAL Y you are you, and you also have a new life t live in the new chapter. Your choice after many years of no choice. Best wishes in finding yourself again.

Dutchman

May 26, 2017
Devon, Totnes
Hello everyone.

Just come across a card Bridget wrote back in 2010 when life was full of promise, where she thanks me for loving her and says she looks forward to many more years of being together in our lovely home and lovely Devon.

Life’s full of reminders of what was before the dreadful scourge of dementia. How we thought life would carry on wonderfully regardless.

I’m relatively okay these days. I went to visit her grave recently and didn’t choke with tears. But in many ways I miss missing her with those strong and overwhelming emotions. It’s like she’s drifting away and I can’t pull her back. I guess that happens otherwise we’d be nervous wrecks unable to operate. I just wish though sometimes I could, for a moment, experience being really with her again. I long for her and that’s the rub.

I’m in the middle of redecorating and that distracts me for a while.

I hope that it’s not too bad for my friends out there today. I’ve re applied to be a companion caller after a break of several months. Mustn’t let my experiences go to waste.

Peterx

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazlin