Dementia’s journey

Dutchman

May 26, 2017
Devon, Totnes
Hello everyone. I’m not sure who’s going to pick this up. Just seems I’m leaning on you guys way too much so please forgive a needy person.

I do feel much better generally and I feel issues around my grief and longing are gradually getting better, but there is one thing that stands out still to be resolved, if it ever can be. And I feel it never can be now that Bridget has died. Even back in 2017 onwards she didn’t have the capacity to understand or discuss any issues I had. Conversation in 2019 had gone by that point.

I feel strongly that I’ve been self centred most of my life and this feeling is holding me back from feeling better about the handling the grief . She used to say “You only think of yourself” and “were you like this with your first wife” ( probably). I did a number of things on my own when it would have been more considerate if we’d done things together. I did concentrate on what I liked and, for instance, when I went for a long walk she’d say, “ you know I can’t do that”( she had weak ankles) but I always felt it was my right to do what I wanted. I could’ve considered her more, been understanding and considerate. But I wasn’t.

I know many relationships would have been worse than ours, more selfish perhaps and less loving. But i dwell on this a lot knowing it was upsetting for her and even perhaps a contributing factor to her becoming closer to dementia. I’m told that no one can cause another’s dementia, but surely upsets in a relationship don’t help.

I’ve gone on a bit here. But outside of my counsellor who else could have opinions apart from my friends here.

Sending love to all . Peter

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Hello everyone. I’m not sure who’s going to pick this up. Just seems I’m leaning on you guys way too much so please forgive a needy person.

I do feel much better generally and I feel issues around my grief and longing are gradually getting better, but there is one thing that stands out still to be resolved, if it ever can be. And I feel it never can be now that Bridget has died. Even back in 2017 onwards she didn’t have the capacity to understand or discuss any issues I had. Conversation in 2019 had gone by that point.

I feel strongly that I’ve been self centred most of my life and this feeling is holding me back from feeling better about the handling the grief . She used to say “You only think of yourself” and “were you like this with your first wife” ( probably). I did a number of things on my own when it would have been more considerate if we’d done things together. I did concentrate on what I liked and, for instance, when I went for a long walk she’d say, “ you know I can’t do that”( she had weak ankles) but I always felt it was my right to do what I wanted. I could’ve considered her more, been understanding and considerate. But I wasn’t.

I know many relationships would have been worse than ours, more selfish perhaps and less loving. But i dwell on this a lot knowing it was upsetting for her and even perhaps a contributing factor to her becoming closer to dementia. I’m told that no one can cause another’s dementia, but surely upsets in a relationship don’t help.

I’ve gone on a bit here. But outside of my counsellor who else could have opinions apart from my friends here.

Sending love to all . Peter
dementia is not caused by issues you may/may not think far enough. she had a choice to marry and stay with you knowing you and your history. if that was the case, then nobody would stand a chance. life is an adventure with all the twists and turns, sometimes we get it right and sometimes get it wrong. if we didnt get some things wrong, how would we know what we got right.

Cerisy

Jun 9, 2021
It’s a difficult one Peter. I’ve been dwelling on our relationship prior to the start of Jo’s dementia, wondering what sort of husband I’ve been - especially as I’m now a gentle control freak as I slowly take over all the things Jo used to do and try to help her cope with her changes. Of course, occasionally, I lose it and immediately regret my response, but can’t remember being like that during our 51 years together. I’ve asked Jo and she was complimentary but how much does she remember? So many factors influence who gets dementia and in Jo’s case it was almost certainly in her genes on the female side.

To be fair what ever happened in the years gone by it’s how we look after our loved one now they really need our help and you did pretty well. Let that be your abiding memory Peter.

Regards, Jonathan

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Dutchman

I doubt any of us will have lost a spouse without regrets about what we might have done better.

It`s better to realise we were not perfect than not to reflect at all.

What’s done is done.

I think we are allowed to try to forgive ourselves. At least we are aware we were remiss and our failings are on our conscience.

Forgiving ourselves helps us understand we have something to forgive ourselves about.

I’m sure you’re not alone in having regrets.

SherwoodSue

Jun 18, 2022
You have lost your partner and you are grieving. You are casting around for something to attach these strong feelings to.?

You are re running scripts from the past illustrating where you weren’t the perfect husband. Then you imply the feelings you have aren’t justified

You could equally re run scripts from the past where you behaved well ?

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I’m thinking of you and Bridget Peter. We are currently in the waiting land after a stroke and before death. So comforting for me to know others have gone ahead of us. Thank you for recording it as it has helped me.

I wonder about forgiveness. Is this a concept you have thought about or could discuss with your counsellor. Have you asked Bridget for forgiveness for those times you don’t feel you were the best spouse. Could you write a letter, read it to her and then bury it in the ground near her?

This may help you then forgive yourself and be able to free yourself a little. We can’t change the past, we need to accept it and use any thing learned to bring into the future,

Andy54

Sep 24, 2020
@Dutchman,. hello Peter, I don't think that spending time pursuing your own interests is necessarily selfish, as long as you also make time to do things together. In a relationship you are still two individuals each with their own interests and giving each other space to to do that is also important. Yes there may be the odd time when there is perhaps a conflict of interest which leads to an occasional harsh word but I think that is probably typical of most relationships, and as long as it's not causing a major problem all of the time then that would seem to be typical of most relationships. Deb and I always had a very strong and loving relationship but we both frequently spent time focused on our own interests and if there was ever criticism one way or the other it made no difference to our relationship overall. From your many posts on here I don't think that you have any need to reproach yourself in any way.
Best wishes, Andy.

Melles Belles

Jul 4, 2017
South east
@Dutchman in a successful and happy relationship couples do some things together and some activities with friends or on their own. I don’t think it’s healthy to do everything just the two of you. It could get very suffocating . Everyone needs to build their own support network and not just rely on each other. You weren’t wrong to go for long walks. You are still grieving and feeling guilty which is all part of the process. I don’t think you were selfish and you were a very caring husband.

Dutchman

May 26, 2017
Devon, Totnes
@Dutchman,. hello Peter, I don't think that spending time pursuing your own interests is necessarily selfish, as long as you also make time to do things together. In a relationship you are still two individuals each with their own interests and giving each other space to to do that is also important. Yes there may be the odd time when there is perhaps a conflict of interest which leads to an occasional harsh word but I think that is probably typical of most relationships, and as long as it's not causing a major problem all of the time then that would seem to be typical of most relationships. Deb and I always had a very strong and loving relationship but we both frequently spent time focused on our own interests and if there was ever criticism one way or the other it made no difference to our relationship overall. From your many posts on here I don't think that you have any need to reproach yourself in any way.
Best wishes, Andy.
Thanks everyone for your supportive replies. I guess when it comes down to it I’m showing the typical results and responses to grieving.

Some days I think I can do this, I can be strong and tough it out. Then I see her picture, remember her as she was prior to the dementia and long to hold her in my arms again and protect her.

But we here know that the grief is so very hard to bear sometimes. It wasn’t so bad when she was in the home as I could visit this person who didn’t know me as her husband but we got along okay. Now she’s gone. And all I want is unreachable.

I don’t have to explain anything to you all because it’s more or less the same for each of us. To know that you understand means a lot. Peter