Coming to the end

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Oh and last week I was concerned my dad wouldn't agree to no more hospitals, but the GP asked him when I wasn't there if he'd want mum sent to hospital or keep her at the home and he said, no, keep her at the home,

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Mums took a sudden turn for the worst and is deteriorating very quickly now. They think the end could be today or tomorrow. Not what I was expecting today but I guess this is how it goes sometimes.

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
Will be keeping you in my thoughts at this difficult time. Take care x

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Thinking of you @Missodell18. I knew my mum was at end of life but thought she'd rally a bit. I had a phone call with the doctor about end of life medication and from what she said I thought we had a week or two more. Twenty minutes later the home rang to say mum had passed away.
Hopefully your dad will be able to be there before he goes into hospital for his operation.

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Thinking of you @Missodell18. I knew my mum was at end of life but thought she'd rally a bit. I had a phone call with the doctor about end of life medication and from what she said I thought we had a week or two more. Twenty minutes later the home rang to say mum had passed away.
Hopefully your dad will be able to be there before he goes into hospital for his operation.
Thank you and I’m sorry to hear about your mum. I didn’t know if it’s good or bad when it happens quickly, I suppose it must be good if it means less suffering. It’s just selfish reasons really that you always want a little more time.

We’ve rung and deferred my dads operation. I have to call back in the morning and speak to the consultants secretary. It’s not good to defer it really but they were very sympathetic and understanding.

Christmasqueen

Jan 4, 2024
We're still here, but things still very up and down.

The CHC funding assessment was supposed to be today, however the nurse at the home requested fast track as she believes my mum is now deteriorating quickly. This was done BUT on the wrong form! (You couldn't make it up, could you?!) so we were sat on the meeting (online) waiting to find out if Fast track would be granted or if we'd have to do the assessment. They decided after a while they would cancel the assessment and it's assumed Fast Track will be granted now, until the end of March (at which point we may have to do the assessment if Mum is stable-ish). Doesn't everything to do with this stuff seem so needlessly complicated?

My mum is eating/drinking very little now. My dad has some success, the nursing home staff say she's not swallowing, just holding food in her mouth. Same with medication, although again my dad can get her to take pills okay.

Tomorrow my dad will be going to hospital for a lung operation on Friday. He'll have to be in hospital at least 3 days but could be up to 7 or maybe longer depending on how he recovers. I'm dreading something happening to mum while he's in hospital.
Oh my I’m so sorry to read your update. It seems that this journey is one thing after another for us all.
I hope that your Dad will be ok and that your mum holds on until he is out of hospital. Thinking of you.
My update is also a rollercoaster. Mum had about 5 good days in the Nursing Home and celebrated her bday. She’s eating 3 good meals a day ( puréed) but has an appetite and asks for more.
Then on Friday and Saturday she seemed different and unwell. Diagnosed with neck cellulitis and blue lighted to hospital. Returned after a drip antibiotic to Nursing Home and told it wasn’t as bad as they thought. Next day she was amazing and chatty and happy … following day I went and she was in pain and upset. Turns out catheter had blocked and she had a UTI! Now on super strong antibiotics making her throw up! Oramorph prescribed but not being used as pain under control. No idea how close we are to the end or if this is just another blip in the road. She was given an estimate of max of 3 months a month ago… I’m so drained and confused

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Oh my I’m so sorry to read your update. It seems that this journey is one thing after another for us all.
I hope that your Dad will be ok and that your mum holds on until he is out of hospital. Thinking of you.
My update is also a rollercoaster. Mum had about 5 good days in the Nursing Home and celebrated her bday. She’s eating 3 good meals a day ( puréed) but has an appetite and asks for more.
Then on Friday and Saturday she seemed different and unwell. Diagnosed with neck cellulitis and blue lighted to hospital. Returned after a drip antibiotic to Nursing Home and told it wasn’t as bad as they thought. Next day she was amazing and chatty and happy … following day I went and she was in pain and upset. Turns out catheter had blocked and she had a UTI! Now on super strong antibiotics making her throw up! Oramorph prescribed but not being used as pain under control. No idea how close we are to the end or if this is just another blip in the road. She was given an estimate of max of 3 months a month ago… I’m so drained and confused
I’m so sorry to hear what’s happened. It really is an awful roller coaster. As soon as you think you might be out of the woods with something, another thing happens. I wish your mum a speedy recovery and hope you have some more peaceful and settled time with her.

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
It’s looking like the end of the road is near for us. I’m wondering if I dare go home for a little while and come back early in the morning. I don’t know what to do for the best really. My mum is similar to how she was before but we’ve made the decision not to send to hospital again now. She’s breathing very rapidly - she did this before. I feel quite helpless

ShivyDevon

Oct 11, 2022
It’s looking like the end of the road is near for us. I’m wondering if I dare go home for a little while and come back early in the morning. I don’t know what to do for the best really. My mum is similar to how she was before but we’ve made the decision not to send to hospital again now. She’s breathing very rapidly - she did this before. I feel quite helpless
Oh @Missodell18 I am sorry to read this. I'm afraid I cannot offer any advice. Are you able to stay and shower at the home if you're worried about going home? I hope it's not too distressing for you and your dad. I'm sorry I can't be more help or supportive. Take care - you will make the right decision for you xx

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Thank you everyone for your kind words. I did go home last night. I’m only 5 minutes away from the nursing home so it’s not too bad if I have to rush back. No phone calls from them in the night though thankfully. Didn’t get an awful lot of sleep anyway, kept waking up and couldn’t get back to sleep for ages around 3am. I’m going back shortly. Dad’s operation has been deferred, couldn’t do anything else really but what rotten timing.

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
Day three beginning for us. My mums breathing seems very shallow now, still rapid. The nurse said she was surprised that mum had made it through the day on Wednesday but now here we are on Friday. I’m asking the same question that I’ve seen lots of people asking in this position - how long can this go on for? I know it’s hard to say.

Missodell18

Dec 16, 2022
My mother died this morning just before 2am.

It seems impossible that such a strong amazing and tough woman as she was is gone.

I really don’t know what to do now. I feel lost. I’m worried about my dad and everything feels overwhelming at the moment.

Thank you to everyone here who have offered words of support and advice. You have all been wonderful. It’s been such a long and arduous journey.

My wonderful mum was 75. She loved animals and books and music and films and so much more. Her name was Angela.

I’m heartbroken

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry for your loss @Missodell18. Your love for your mum shines through your posts.

Please keep coming to the forum for support as the days and weeks go on. Wishing you strength.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I am so sorry for your loss, but she is at peace now.
Try and find some some peace for yourself after the turbulence and uncertainty
(((((((((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @Missodell18
Your mum is at peace, and no longer in pain or struggling. Try and fid some peace in your mind too.
The path from loss, and the grief, is rarely straightforward. Take time. Be easy with yourself. You did all that you could.