Care home fees

Lotts

May 9, 2024
Good evening everyone can you help please would be most appreciated. My dad has gone into a care home with mixed dementia mum handled all the finances. No power of attorney no wills nothing just joint bank accounts. My mum has passed away quickly and unexpectedly. I have just started the process of guardianship and appointee for dwp pension. The problem I have is LA were funding part of dad's care home fees but now mam's savings have automatically passed to dad he will be over the threshold and becomes a self funder again that in itself isn't a problem but the bank won't release any money won't pay care home bills or allow me access to pay them. I don't know what will happen now as even if I get appointee ship from dwp it's nowhere near enough to pay the fee. They do have property but that has passed to dad with me and my brother co,-owners how can the bills be paid for the care home it is stresing me out and no time to think about mam. Many thanks

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
Good evening everyone can you help please would be most appreciated. My dad has gone into a care home with mixed dementia mum handled all the finances. No power of attorney no wills nothing just joint bank accounts. My mum has passed away quickly and unexpectedly. I have just started the process of guardianship and appointee for dwp pension. The problem I have is LA were funding part of dad's care home fees but now mam's savings have automatically passed to dad he will be over the threshold and becomes a self funder again that in itself isn't a problem but the bank won't release any money won't pay care home bills or allow me access to pay them. I don't know what will happen now as even if I get appointee ship from dwp it's nowhere near enough to pay the fee. They do have property but that has passed to dad with me and my brother co,-owners how can the bills be paid for the care home it is stresing me out and no time to think about mam. Many thanks
So sorry to hear about the loss of you Mum but please don't stress out with these fees. You need to contact your LA and complete a financial assessment where you'll have the opportunity to explain that funds have been frozen so you have no access to the money. They should cover the fees but it's likely that they will put a charge on the property so that they are reimbursed when the property is sold or the bank accounts are released.
This may take some time so please let the care home manager fully informed.

Lotts

May 9, 2024
Thank you everyone for taking the time to advise me it's a sad situation but I know dad is happy in the home and very well cared for it's all you can ask many thanks it really does help using this forum and all your kind words

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
potholepicker