Care home fees

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
It might be called third party because it's out of the LAs usual area
Only way you'll know is if you ask. 🙂 Please tell us when you know as I'm intrigued.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I thought the way it works is that the top up is paid direct to the council and the council then pay the care home? If that's the way it works then technically it's the council paying the top up and they're acting as the middleman between the payee and the care home? If that's right then the correct box has been ticked as the payment is coming from the LA?

What I know about top ups you can write on the back of a matchbox so I'm just guessing.
That was my suggestion
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/care-home-fees.148679/post-2061416 .

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
I thought the way it works is that the top up is paid direct to the council and the council then pay the care home? If that's the way it works then technically it's the council paying the top up and they're acting as the middleman between the payee and the care home? If that's right then the correct box has been ticked as the payment is coming from the LA?

What I know about top ups you can write on the back of a matchbox so I'm just guessing.
Good point. I found this so maybe this situation fits in with this guidence...

1715027334283.png

ElizabethWindsor

May 2, 2024
Has the comment been put in the wrong box on the form. A local council can never be a third party as I understand it.
I know that’s what I thought.. the LA did have to make sure my father received care as he was in a difficult situation. The home are very diligent with their procedures so I doubt it was an error. Like I said we have also not signed anything with the LA or been approached to do so.

ElizabethWindsor

May 2, 2024
Just a thought....if the paying LA is funding at a rate lower than their usual LA rate because the home is in cheaper area ,would it cause computer accounting problems to call it LA funded?

And because the home is accommodating a LA placed client at higher rate than the homes LA it calls it third party funded.
In other words ,is it using the funding phrases to assist the account depts recording systems?
Possibly.. I guess it could well be lower than the originating LAs rate.

ElizabethWindsor

May 2, 2024
It might be called third party because it's out of the LAs usual area
Only way you'll know is if you ask. 🙂 Please tell us when you know as I'm intrigued.
Oh yes.. that’s another good point! The LA involved is not answering my questions head on, I think because of the unusual circumstances of this case and the fact that they had to provide my father with care.