What is taken towards Care Home Fees..

Enbarrot

Nov 27, 2022
Good afternoon,
I'm after a bit of advice re what is taken from personal finances towards care home fees.
I understand all of state pension and half of private pension.
How does this work when I'll still be living in the house same mortgage to pay and bills etc. If I were to downsize could they take half towards care home fees ?

sheepfield

Feb 4, 2024
Hello!
I'm new here too. My mother in law has sold her home already to live in sheltered accommodation so I have no similar personal experience.
It might help others if you can say whether you also own the house as a joint tenant or tenant in common with the person with dementia and whether the mortgage is in both your names. It might make a difference to any answers to your question.

Enbarrot

Nov 27, 2022
Thank you, my half of the house is tenants in common for our daughters should anything happen to me other than that no we jointly own it mortgage is in both names ..

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im assuming that you are the spouse/civil partner of the person who is moving into a care home.

You can indeed downsize, but the new house has to be owned in the same way that your present house is - ie it has to be jointly owned (although you could sever the ownership and become tenants in common). Any money left over from the sale has to be divided equally between you and him. This will probably make him self-funded for at least a while until he gets back down to the £23,500 threshold.

If you decide to stay where you are, I think he would be able to pay half the mortgage and half of any repairs needed to the house, but not the household bills. Could you return to work in order to pay your half of the mortgage (I dont know if you are still of working age)?

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
If @Enbarrot your ow n the house jointly, and you live in it, then usually the house value is disregarded in working out whether your OH PWD has assets of £23,250 or more. If more, he's self funding, if less than LA pays some and he pays some, and if his assets are less than £14,000 then LA pays care but takes state pension and attendance allowance and half private pension.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Just to confirm @Enbarrot My wife's assets are below £23,250 but above £14,250. Her weekly contribution is the whole of her state pension plus half of her occupational pension (the other half has been deemed to be gifted to me) plus a tariff based on the amount of her assets above the £14,250 threshold. Our house is disregarded as I still live in it. A statutory amount for personal expenses is also deducted from the amount she contributes.