Care home fees query for partner remaining in property. Plesse help

Rben06

Jun 6, 2024
Hey!
My uncle has dementia, diagnosed in his 50s hes now 63 and receiving nursing dementia care as his care became too much for my auntie who is disabled herself.
She also struggles with her mental health. The local authority havent been the best supporting her and shes been told lots of conflicting info. I’m doing my best to help but I’m not an expert.

My uncle receives £1050 per month towards his care from the LA. He then pays so much from his pension towards it and my auntie then pays the additional top up.

someone from the LA recently mentioned a charging order on her home !!? But the property is jointly owned and she still lives there so I was under the impression is was disregarded? Why would they mention a charging order?

She is also worried about what will happen if she passes away before my uncle. Would this then mean the home would no longer be disregarded and would be taken to pay for his care? She has two sons and wanted to leave the home to them.

Thanks for any help

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
should be disregarded while she still lives there, after that, once its his sole asset, then yes, it would need to be sold to pay for his care

Rben06

Jun 6, 2024
thanks for the reply. I thought so too, I need to query why they’ve mentioned a charging order to her.
Aw ok I did think that, but then read something about only 50% would go towards his care and the rest of whom ever she left it too

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
Social Services do get things wrong, so I think it's simply a case of them giving her the wrong information. What you said in your opening post is correct, she owns and lives in the house so it will be disregarded.

Rben06

Jun 6, 2024
Social Services do get things wrong, so I think it's simply a case of them giving her the wrong information. What you said in your opening post is correct, she owns and lives in the house so it will be disregarded.
Thank you for the reply. I think that it must be that too.

Rben06

Jun 6, 2024
I'm wondering if your Aunt is borrowing from the LA to cover the top up fees.
Hey thanks for the reply. No she’s paying the top up fee with a direct debit it’s only small. The majority of the fees is taken from my uncles private pension.

maisiecat

Oct 12, 2023
I wonder if your Aunt talked to them about money running out and that's why charging fee was mentioned.
My husband is in a Nursing home. I have taken some actions to protect some inheritance for our children if I die before my husband.
You will need it done via a solicitor who deals with these issues. Our house ownership has been changed to tenants in common. This allows me to leave my share of the property elsewhere. However you have to make provision for your husband/wife so my husband has a lifetime interest.
Thats just a brief precis, it is a bit time consuming and costly but I couldn't stand our children getting nothing. We had only had ordinary lives and ordinary jobs and I feel we are more than doing our bit in payment. My husband's share will protect his future for several years.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenanddad