Night time incontinence and Memantinre

Moyra C

Mar 26, 2023
Hi. Well I have just had a major melt down this morning. I have posted before about my OH continence issues. He does go to the toilet but the still trickles and soaks trousers. Or wets them as he is standing over the toilet etc. not sure what my solutions to this are. Fed up of changing trousers pants pad several times a day
Now to top it last night I had best sleep in ages. Woke up to him having wet bed.

He has pull up on and we have a protector sheet as precaution as I thought this day might come.
He usually tells me he need to go to toilet during the night but not last night. He seemed to sleep really well too.

He has just been prescribed Memantine 2nd day of taking it. Not sure if this as made him more sleepy or whether this is the next step in this horrible journey.

Feel ready to walk out this morning.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi. Well I have just had a major melt down this morning. I have posted before about my OH continence issues. He does go to the toilet but the still trickles and soaks trousers. Or wets them as he is standing over the toilet etc. not sure what my solutions to this are. Fed up of changing trousers pants pad several times a day
Now to top it last night I had best sleep in ages. Woke up to him having wet bed.

He has pull up on and we have a protector sheet as precaution as I thought this day might come.
He usually tells me he need to go to toilet during the night but not last night. He seemed to sleep really well too.

He has just been prescribed Memantine 2nd day of taking it. Not sure if this as made him more sleepy or whether this is the next step in this horrible journey.

@Moyra C , I feel for you.
In the last two weeks my OH and I has slept all night too. I also got the wet bed as a reward!

I had him to the GP yesterday as bowel incontinence started as well. Not just the occasional as was happening but two or three times a day. Making it to the bathroom but not to the loo or not even knowing he was too late! GP checked him over but says it is dementia progression.

I've got an appointment with the incontinence nurse Tuesday to discuss more products.

Tena do a maxi pull up , available on he incontinence care website ,and if the nurse can't provide those I shall get some to try and keep the NHS for daytime. VAT free on site so a bit cheaper than a shop if you can even find them!

In the meantime I've used a Tena super with a Tena Classic plus on top ,yes two together 🤣 and no wet bed!! But going though pullup at a rate of knots. I reuse the top pullup for day if it's dry.

I'll let you know what the nurse says / provides on Tuesday

You are not alone. I'm experiencing exactly the same
Ps. Did you see my post about puppy pad ,quartered between his legs at the loo to catch the dribbles that land in the trousers? It works for me

OH been on memantine for four years so I don't think it's that.

Last edited:

Moyra C

Mar 26, 2023
@Moyra C , I feel for you.
In the last two weeks my OH and I has slept all night too. I also got the wet bed as a reward!

I had him to the GP yesterday as bowel incontinence started as well. Not just the occasional as was happening but two or three times a day. Making it to the bathroom but not to the loo or not even knowing he was too late! GP checked him over but says it is dementia progression.

I've got an appointment with the incontinence nurse Tuesday to discuss more products.

Tena do a maxi pull up , available on he incontinence care website ,and if the nurse can't provide those I shall get some to try and keep the NHS for daytime. VAT free on site so a bit cheaper than a shop if you can even find them!

In the meantime I've used a Tena super with a Tena Classic plus on top ,yes two together 🤣 and no wet bed!! But going though pullup at a rate of knots. I reuse the top pullup for day if it's dry.

I'll let you know what the nurse says / provides on Tuesday

You are not alone. I'm experiencing exactly the same
Ps. Did you see my post about puppy pad ,quartered between his legs at the loo to catch the dribbles that land in the trousers? It works for me

OH been on memantine for four years so I don't think it's that.
Thanks for replying. I will look at the more absorbent. He uses tena men’s plus now. Continence nurse visited a few months ago. But in this area they won’t provide pull ups. Just pads and net pants which are no good.

I kinda have been expecting it. But during the day he knows he need toilet and his. Doesn’t always get it out in time or puts away before he stops. During the night he usually sits up in bed and I get him up as he need help to toilet due to mobility. This can be a couple of times. So last night took me by surprise.
I seen your post about puppy pad. Was not quite clear how this would work.

I sympathise for the bowel incontinence at night.

I’ll see how tonight goes. I’ll be on edge now for every unsettled movement.

It’s so true what someone else said. You get a new behaviour. Get upset about it then it becomes the norm and you accept it. Then along comes the next one. X

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I've cut a puppy pad in to 4 quarters. Once his trousers and pull up is round the ankles I slide the quarter pad between his legs and rest it on the trousers. It catches drips and dribbles that miss the toilet. I too was having to change trousers because of drips and dribbles, not because of pull up leak . Sorry folks if too much detail !

CarrieKay

Apr 22, 2024

This may not help at all, but I put a puppy training pad on mum bed over the sheet. At least it keeps the bed dry because it absorbs the wet rather than letting it spread. You can get really big ones from Amazon 60 cm by 90 cm. I also put them on her chair, discreetly under a towel. Easy to chuck away when wet, but really does save sheets, chairs getting wet which may help you. Good luck.

NaughtyNana

Jul 2, 2021
Amersham Bucks
Hello everyone, my husband also has become incontinent with his urine needs, not every night, but several times weekly, sometimes more.
We have pull-ups provided by NHS and I put one of the smaller ones inside which helps.
I use Kylie pads over the bottom sheet and between that and the sheet I put two puppy pads.
The Kylie pads are a godsend but they do emit heat which is uncomfortable at this time of year. I also have mattress protectors on the bed, two to be exact and they are never wet (yet!).
Bless him he's very embarrassed by his incontinence and cries, apologising, saying it's disgusting. I also bought from Amazon a pack of grey mats to put on the bathroom floor just in case of drips etc. but at the moment he doesn't do that. As his bathroom is white and grey they don't look too much out of place.
Like everyone who's shared after 7yrs of dementia, depression that is worse to deal with than the dementia, three heart attacks and heart surgery at 83 yrs old I am tired becoming affected mentally by my life constantly on hold. Friends no longer come or particularly contact but although family are not close our children are in contact and our son 200 miles away comes the first weekend in the month to see us and help out with DIY projects. Other two children are very supportive even if they can't call in except our daughter 45 min away does visit and does what she can. I don't want to be a burden on anyone, and I am still very active and young at heart.
Cup usually half full and hopefully still have a sense of humour. At least our grandchildren think I'm hilarious!!
Can someone tell me what Memantinre is?

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi @NaughtyNana Memantine is a drug given to dementia patients in the early stage to help slow the progression . My OH has been on it since diagnosis of in 2021. It was drug of choice by his consultant as he has a history of heart disease and was the best to give given the heart issues.

I don't really know if it has worked at slowing progression. He is now late mid/ early late stage and his decline has been quick. But... He is placid and I've read that some gave been given the drug for aggression agitation so may be it does do something 🙂

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
@NaughtyNana . My bed protection sounds like yours 🤣 definitely don't want a wet mattress. I put half an old single sheet on top of the Kylie like a draw sheet. I means the Kylie is more comfy to lay on and it's not too big to wash along with the Kylie if it gets wet.

NaughtyNana

Jul 2, 2021
Amersham Bucks
Hi @NaughtyNana Memantine is a drug given to dementia patients in the early stage to help slow the progression . My OH has been on it since diagnosis of in 2021. It was drug of choice by his consultant as he has a history of heart disease and was the best to give given the heart issues.

I don't really know if it has worked at slowing progression. He is now late mid/ early late stage and his decline has been quick. But... He is placid and I've read that some gave been given the drug for aggression agitation so may be it does do something 🙂
Hi Maggie, my husband was diagnosed with Mild Cognitive Disorder in 2015 and was told it would become dementia in three years and this is exactly what happened. He was put on Donepezil to slow the Dementia, but having had three heart attacks and heart surgery I wonder why he wasn't prescribed Memantine. Considering how long he has had this evil condition I would hazard a guess that it has slowed it down. He is 88yrs old now and his days are so very different, a dreadful day today but the three previous days he was bright as a button, even picking me up on things I am or am not doing. He also is placid.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi @NaughtyNana my OH has had five heart attacks ,triple by pass ,seven stents and now has heart failure. He's 78. I think his heart condition has contributed to his decline. He has bradycardia so blood flow isn't good.

It seems as if the Donepezil has been effective for your husband🙂

special 1

Oct 16, 2023
Hi there. Have you tried using a urinal jug for him at night so you don't have to keep getting him out of the bed. My Husband will take his pants off at night, or pull his parts out to pee on the duvet, it is just a vicious circle .