Odd later stage dementia habits

MrsLev16

Jun 30, 2024
Hi, this is my first time posting and I find all of the threads on here very helpful.
My 93 year old grandfather is in the last stages of dementia, he is refusing to eat and drink and take any medication. We have been told that they are putting him on end of life care. On a visit today he kept holding a napkin to his mouth for a majority of our time there and I wasn't sure why. I was wondering if anyone else's loved ones do/did this xxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @MrsLev16.

I’m sorry to hear about your grandfather. Much of what you mention is similar to how my husband was when he was on end of life care. I don’t recognise the thing with the napkin but others may.

I’m glad you’ve found this forum and hope you find being here a support and a comfort.

Collywobbles

Feb 27, 2018
Refusing food and drink is characteristic of end stage dementia, although some do rally and begin again. It’s very unpredictable. Maybe holding the napkin to his mouth is an emphasis that he doesn’t want to eat or drink now.

Pollywobble

Nov 13, 2023
I'm sorry to hear your grandfather has reached this stage. I don't know if it is the same as your grandfather, but my man likes to put something like his sheet against his mouth. He says he just likes something there. It's like a comfort thing for him. Maybe the napkins are for comfort. My man has started keeping handkerchiefs handy, mainly to wipe his mouth.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksacytotec