Heartbreaking to watch mum decline - how long will she live?

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
I do apologise if my comments upset you as that wasn't my intention. It's no excuse but I'd had a bad day where I felt I wasn't bothered if I woke up the next morning. Care homes are a lottery and depend upon the staff employed at the time and I admit, when I was looking for respite, I was looking at aesthetics as well because if the surroundings are nice as well, it helps. If dad has Togo into care again, I hope my approach is more widely based. Once again, I'm sorry 🥰
No problem and I hope that today is a better day.

Flaming June

May 25, 2024
Hello @Flaming June

I am sure there are many carers of people with dementia who feel the same way.

My 91 year old mum has stage 5 dementia and has similar symptoms to those your mum is suffering. She has virtually no short term memory. She is very confused and often frightened. She has wanted to go “home” to her childhood home for at least three years. She also worries almost constantly about finding her mother. During sundowning she becomes extremely anxious and paranoid, driven to try and leave the nursing home where she lives. She believes her mother is in danger, or sick, or that people are planning to hurt her. No distraction or diversion works to relieve these symptoms once they emerge. They occur almost every day.

My mum is suffering terribly. I know that her illness will only get a lot worse as time goes on. I certainly feel it would be better if she passed away in her sleep than continue through a lot more terrible distress.

Yet at the same time I know I will be absolutely devastated when my mum dies. I feel I am likely to be hit by an emotional tsunami. Reading pages on this site I realise that this is also very common. As carers we have to somehow reconcile our desperate wish for a loved one’s suffering to end with our feelings of grief and loss when it does.

Sending thoughts to you and your mum.
Thank you. My mum seems to be a carbon copy of yours with the same symptoms. She's currently trying to get out of the care home to find her parents and catch a train back to the city where she actually is... Hugs to you.

Toopie28

Jun 7, 2022
The care home are proud? Where is the achievement in allowing people to suffer for longer in these hovels they call care homes. There's no dignity and their "pride" is insulting and misplaced. My life is being robbed because of dementia, dad's had his life, in fact he's had 2, but the only one I have is disappearin fast. Dad is in torment every minute of every day and it's devastatingly unrelenting. If my dad continues to survive into his 90s, I fear I won't get to the end of my 50s!!!!!
It's their way of saying they take good care of them.
I don't blame them for that. They are doing their job and they are succeeding.
And really, I suppose that's what you want to hear from carehomes?

I researched for years and never intended on putting her in one - but I had a health issue and had to.
I found this one that is very clean. The staff are, for the most part, friendly. They are ticking the boxes. She's safe.
But... it's hard. It's so, so hard.
And it's no easier with her being in the care-home.

Don't know if you've seen this thread - https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/struggling.148633/ - about trying to not be in 24hr caregiving mode.

I read it a lot. Still to put it in motion yet. Not sure I even know how. Hoping it will help a bit.

TMH

Nov 21, 2022
It's their way of saying they take good care of them.
I don't blame them for that. They are doing their job and they are succeeding.
And really, I suppose that's what you want to hear from carehomes?

I researched for years and never intended on putting her in one - but I had a health issue and had to.
I found this one that is very clean. The staff are, for the most part, friendly. They are ticking the boxes. She's safe.
But... it's hard. It's so, so hard.
And it's no easier with her being in the care-home.

Don't know if you've seen this thread - https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/threads/struggling.148633/ - about trying to not be in 24hr caregiving mode.

I read it a lot. Still to put it in motion yet. Not sure I even know how. Hoping it will help a bit.
Care homes are not the easier option at all, you have other problems and emotions to deal with but at least you know mum's safe in there. I work full time and have carers going in. Always worried to death what I'll find when I get home. Pros and cons to both sides of the same coin x

smithdee

Oct 19, 2023
You are absolutely not alone. I help my mum care for my dad, and I feel like this most days, particularly when he's having a bad day.
I think my dad is stage 6 or 7 now, and the only thing keeping him going is the fact he still opens his mouth to be fed most days.
He has carers twice a day, but he's started to fully resist them despite being on medication to control this, but mum refuses to call the GP to up the meds, so the struggle daily is real. He is restless at night, he constantly coughs and his breathing is very rumbly. His eyes are starting to get red, he swears at us (which is absolutely not like him at all), he constantly fidgets and because he can't talk, he whistles for attention constantly. My mum is exhausted, and he keeps her awake almost all night every night with his antics, which makes her irritable and unable to care for him as best she can/wants to.
Each day I visit I get more and more upset at how this illness can drag on like this. My mum is wasting away her years, and dad would absolutely not want this for her. I go home in the evenings wishing the suffering would end for both of them. Cruel

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
I can't be the only person who wishes their parent would pass away before it gets worse for them - and us.
Every single visit and in between.

Mum has advanced Parkinson's, Parkinson's related dementia, deteriorating mental health, chronic pain and is deaf. She wakes in the morning in pain and exists until bedtime and even then the misery doesn't stop for her. She is well cared for but has zero quality of life and I honestly believe that if she had capacity she would not want medication which only helps to prolong the misery. Slipping away peacefully and with dignity would be a blessing.

mparfait

May 18, 2024
It's a terrible thing to feel it would be kinder for my 97-year old mum to pass away in her sleep before her dementia gets worse, but I can't help wishing this would happen. I think she's at Stage 5 of Alzheimer's though we still don't have an official diagnosis. She has zero short-term memory, spends her days asking care home staff to phone her parents so they can come and get her, and thinks she's back in the seaside town where she grew up. Yet she's continent, can communicate and still recognises her family members as well as walking unaided. How long will she live, I wonder? I can't be the only person who wishes their parent would pass away before it gets worse for them - and us.
Me too… 😕

luggy

Jan 25, 2023
Our family has experienced mum's dementia for almost 20 years. Up until about 5 years ago, mum was mobile, content and well cared for by my dad at home, with a little help from me. She had a decent quality of life. And then the aggression, sundowning, wandering and incontinence started, along with a plethora of all sorts of strange incidents. 3 years ago, with dad's health failing too, mum was placed in a residential care home. I breathed a huge sigh of relief, thinking that she would be cared for and safe. On the first day of being there, she fell over and broke her hip, ended up in hospital for 5 weeks where she screamed the place down day and night before being discharged to a nursing home. She hasn't left her bed since and has continued to scream day and night, fighting off anyone who goes near her.

Mum's in the very late stages now, but continues to breathe, sleep, wake up, drink her supplements (she doesn't eat). The screaming and fighting has dwindled during the last few months. I wish she would slip away and join dad who passed away 2 years ago. I keep telling her that he's waiting. I can't help but wonder if she had been going through this 30 years ago, her suffering (and mine) would have ended long before now.

Flaming June

May 25, 2024
Our family has experienced mum's dementia for almost 20 years. Up until about 5 years ago, mum was mobile, content and well cared for by my dad at home, with a little help from me. She had a decent quality of life. And then the aggression, sundowning, wandering and incontinence started, along with a plethora of all sorts of strange incidents. 3 years ago, with dad's health failing too, mum was placed in a residential care home. I breathed a huge sigh of relief, thinking that she would be cared for and safe. On the first day of being there, she fell over and broke her hip, ended up in hospital for 5 weeks where she screamed the place down day and night before being discharged to a nursing home. She hasn't left her bed since and has continued to scream day and night, fighting off anyone who goes near her.

Mum's in the very late stages now, but continues to breathe, sleep, wake up, drink her supplements (she doesn't eat). The screaming and fighting has dwindled during the last few months. I wish she would slip away and join dad who passed away 2 years ago. I keep telling her that he's waiting. I can't help but wonder if she had been going through this 30 years ago, her suffering (and mine) would have ended long before now.
That must be so very distressing for you. Hugs. Xx

Loujess

Dec 18, 2021
I feel just the same but it’s my husband. I’d say he’s stage 6 now with vascular dementia but the sun downing is getting me down. His eating isn’t so good now and he’s very frail although he still wants a little walk at sundown time. i just wish it was over.

CarolandVic

May 1, 2020
It's a terrible thing to feel it would be kinder for my 97-year old mum to pass away in her sleep before her dementia gets worse, but I can't help wishing this would happen. I think she's at Stage 5 of Alzheimer's though we still don't have an official diagnosis. She has zero short-term memory, spends her days asking care home staff to phone her parents so they can come and get her, and thinks she's back in the seaside town where she grew up. Yet she's continent, can communicate and still recognises her family members as well as walking unaided. How long will she live, I wonder? I can't be the only person who wishes their parent would pass away before it gets worse for them - and us.
June, my 96 year old mother is exactly the same except that in the last few months she has stopped recognising family, including me. It was heartbreaking last week when she looked at me and said 'do I know you from somewhere? She seems to have no memory past the age of 21. She tells carers that she had a son and daughter but they were taken from her as babies. Is that the only way she can make sense of where she is now? She has forgotten my father and stepfather and even her younger brother. She just asks to go home to her parents and sister. Physically she is as fit as a 60 year old and continent. At her dols hearing last week the doctor rang me and it transpires that she was never diagnosed with dementia when she was forced into a home by a social worker (in 2020 during covid) but he believes that it is mixed. Vascular dementia caused by sepsis in 2019 and Alzheimers. Neither he nor her new social worker have ever seen this before so it is surprising to see that your mum is in the same position. I too would like to know how long this can last but no one can give me an answer.