How to deal with rapid decline?

Angel03

Mar 26, 2024
I've been caring for my grandmother since 2013 due to mobility issues. I suspected late last year that she may have dementia due to he having trouble retaining certain things but I was hoping it was more general forgetfulness that comes with old age (she's 95), Around Christmas she had to be hospitalised due to infection and when she came out she had even more trouble walking and I was advised that she remain bed bound and a dementia test was arranged; it wasn't surprising when I was informed she had vascular dementia.

To be honest the past few months has not been so bad, She was happy enough to stay in bed and she still recognised people and even retained new information she felt was important. I felt we'd probably have years before we'd have to deal with more serious symptoms but yesterday she seemed to have trouble breathing so she was taken to hospital were she was diagnosed with Aspiration Pneumonia. I was in A&E with her until the early hours of the morning were she was experiencing delirium and thought I was someone else but had to go home to get a few hours sleep as I felt dead on my feet. Part of me suspected when I went that this may have exasperated her dementia and worried that when I went back in the morning she may not recognise me.

Turns out I was correct. When I got there she was sleeping but could only give one word answers an, She perked up a bit when nurses came to change her pad and adminster antibiotics etc. They told me she'd been agitated when they tried to change her pad in the night but was friendly now. She didn't recognise me but talked to me as if she was happy with the company. She did take my hand and put it to her cheek like she would do whenever she was ill so maybe there is part of her that recognises me but otherwise it feels in the space of a few hours someone flipped a switch and made her someone different.

I spoke to various medical staff that were in and out of her room who explained to me all about Aspiration Pneumonia, the potential causes and how they were treating it but none of them would say whether her cognitive decline is permenant or whether it can to some degree go back to how it was before. I've tried googling this but get contradictory information. I know people here will likely have dealt with this and information will be appreciated.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im so sorry to hear about your mum @Angel103

Infections do horrible things to people with dementia and it sounds like your mum has delirium. Delirium can resolve, but no one knows how much it will - your mum might go back to almost the level that she was previously, but equally there may be very little improvement. There is just no knowing, which is why you are getting conflicting advice. Delirium can also take time to resolve - up to six months.

Im afraid that it is a wait and see scenario and I do hope your mum improves soon
xxx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Angel03

Aspiration pneumonia was one of my dreads and when my husband got it I was frightened it was the beginning of the end and it was.

It could be completely different for your grandmother because we never fail to say that everyone is different and I hope it is.

It will be a wait and see time and I hope your grandmother is pain free and remains comforted by your presence.

Angel03

Mar 26, 2024
I'd like to thank everyone for their kind words and information. Some good news; when I went to see my grandmother today she knew who I was and was speaking to me like she normally does. She was quite weak and drifted in and out of sleep and when she was awake she vomiting but she understood where she was and what was going on around her.

I was told that doctors believe she could have some internal bleeding but can't say for sure. I couldn't speak to a doctor to ask whether this was related in some way to the pneumonia or what caused it. Obviously that's a worry but I'm glad that when she hopefully recovers from this it looks like she'll be herself. I know that with this awful condition that likely won't last forever but the longer she can stay like this the better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jean16