But oh those lonely nights .........

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Could I suggest a cat or dog Scarlett? You could talk to it, cuddle it, have it on your bed, have a reason to get up and face the day and love it. A dog may be best as it would need walking and in doing that you would be out of the house and meeting people. My husband of over 50 happy years is in a CH but I found it a relief when I was alone as the lack of sleep had taken its toll. Kind thoughts to you whatever you decide. Pucksome

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point
Scarlett has a dog, Puck. I don't think Billy (the dog) would be able to repair the boiler valve either! [emoji6]

Scarlett, is there anything like a Care & Repair scheme run in your area, by one of the"elderly" groups- Age Action, Care of the Aged, Alone, or one of those? Age Action here run this scheme where volunteer tradesmen and handymen do small jobs for the elderly, who only pay for the materials used. The volunteers are all vetted and police checked, and do everything from changing batteries in smoke alarms to minor bits of painting and decorating.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Talking Point mobile app

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I do know how to bleed radiators, which I did when I discovered my towel rail was only half hot. I also knew how to increase the pressure on the boiler in my previous house so when I then discovered no hot water I thought I could sort it but was faced with an entirely different layout and had to call on my SIL. Annoyingly he fixed the problem on the boiler but still hasn't told me how to do it, the towel rail is half cold again and I daren't touch it for fear of losing the hot water. Note to self: remember to make him show me what to do!

Sorry you've had such a trying time Scarlett. In some ways it was fortunate that Bernard wasn't the most practical of people and my father had brought me up to be practical in all sorts of ways from looking after things that need doing on the car to changing plugs and fuses and how to use things like an electric drill, so I am fairly self-reliant at the moment.

Hope you get the problem sorted soon. xxxx

Puck

Jun 10, 2015
Norfolk
I think there is a lesson to be learnt here for everyone of whatever age, circumstance or sex, learn from your partner while you can, and very importantly, don't loose your driving skills! Easy to be said in hind site, but during the 9 years I cared for my husband before he went into a CH, I made myself learn all I could if not from him, then asking others. You can then pass the skill onto someone else.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Hi Scarlett. Sorry to hear of your problems my lovely. Another way to go forward is to go on line and search for a tutorial. There are masses out there with good quality videos talking you clearly through what to do. Have used several myself, particularly with a stuck radiator valve that my plumber said would need to be replaced at a cost. Just typed in my question and up came these videos showing me what to do. In this case, easy, peasy, and I had immense pleasure in ringing the man and telling him that I (!!!) had fixed the problem. May help you too Jinx.
I was lucky too tho - was usually the extra hand on one of Fred's DIY projects so had some basic knowledge of simple things. Now, would someone like to come and change a tyre for me!
Just one other thing, Scarlett. I have a maintenance contract with the boiler manufacturer rather than insurance company. It costs a lot less than yours and consists an annual service, parts and labour on 2 call outs a year if needed. Have had excellent service and most parts of my boiler have been replaced over the years.
Hope Gloria's is as OK as can be. xxx

Sent from my SM-T813 using Talking Point mobile app

Last edited:

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
When the heating people phoned last Thursday and said they had a cancellation, I could have cried with joy. The engineer replaced a whole section of something, that housed the valve, as he couldn't remove the stuff my neighbour had put on, and I now have fully functioning radiators. :D

Having spoken of my plight to various people, I've decided that just before this contract expires, I will take one out with a local heating company, that many other people use, as obviously they have a far smaller area to cover.

Also, all the ladies I told, who have husbands, have now had tutorials in radiator bleeding, and pressure checking! The widows commiserated, and said that they too have experienced something going wrong, and those of us who had expert DIY-ers for spouses, made me feel a lot less stupid than I was.

Yes, hindsight is a wonderful thing, but during the decades before AD, if John said "I'm going to bleed the radiators", my reply was usually "OK, I'll put the kettle on and make a drink". I never lived on my own, and my parents didn't have the luxury of central heating, but when I got married, I knew how to lay a fire!

I was poised to leave for the hospital this morning, when I had a call that my appointment was cancelled, due to the doctor being away, and they would reschedule "in due course". Goodness knows when that will be.

I seem to have developed a lump at each end of the scar, which is now tightening. It's not painful, just uncomfortable, so I'm continuing to rub petroleum jelly on it, in a attempt to keep the skin supple.

Gloria is still in hospital, continues to lose weight, and they still don't know what is wrong, other than to say that the "mass" is bigger than before, and a cause for (even more) concern.

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Agree with Jinx, Scarlett. Used Bio Oil on my hip wound twice a day for 6 months and it is hardly noticeable now. The scar is very soft and just like my normal skin. Poor Gloria. Am so sorry to read that. Glad your heating problems are cured.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Talking Point mobile app

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thank you for your kind comments, as always. Was with Gloria today when they confirmed that as well as the TB type illness, she has Non Hodgkins Lymphoma. Chemo is to begin next week.

My poor darling friend. xxx

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Thank you, as always, for your kind messages. A PET scan is scheduled for tomorrow, and a bone marrow biopsy for later in the week. I have a show on Friday, so I gave Gloria a preview of my solo songs, which made her smile.

Every time I see her, she seems more frail, and I just pray that she pulls through. Love to you all xxx

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
Hope the show went well, lovely that you were able to give Gloria a preview. xx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Well here we are, and it's March. Gloria is very weak. Each time I see her, she seems to be even more frail, and now bears no resemblance to the lovely vibrant person she was. The chemo proved very hard, and there are other complications.

At my long-awaited check-up on Monday, I was told that things hadn't gone so well for me either. I'm left with the option of another operation, chemotherapy, or leave it for 6 months and have a biopsy and see how things are. I have another appointment in a few weeks, but shall be going for the "wait and see" option.

I've had an operation every year for the past 5 years, for one thing or another, and I've used up this years quota. My Breast Cancer op was 10 years ago, and the treatment for that was draining, and I was caring for John too, and quite honestly, I can't face anything more, at the moment.

And, most importantly, I need to be a supporter for Gloria, and not a patient myself. I have the option of 5 operations, and I'm not having any of them. There's the lip one, the eye, the torn rotator cuff, and arthritic toes on both feet, which I had ops for, each foot separately, where the toes are broken, and reset, but they have bent over again.

Once the warmer weather is here, I can wear sandals, but at the moment, the only way I can stop my toes bleeding, when wearing shoes, is to apply padded cushioned plasters, one on top of the other - and not to walk very far. All my shoes are the Comfyfit variety anyway, which I have been wearing for the past 5 years or so. What a poor old crock!

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
Hello Scarlett. I don't suppose you remember me. but I always remember your comments and help when I posted. I don 't think I have ever got to grips with this website. People just seem to disappear. I hope that your health improves and all goes well. I can only imagine what your life is like now. So I wish you well.x casbowxxxx

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Dear Scarlett,

I've not been on TP for a while and have been catching up with various people.

I see that life has not been easy for you or Gloria. I'm very sorry and hope that the health problem improve for both of you soon.

Love, as always

Lyn T XX