But oh those lonely nights .........

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
What an absolute star your granddaughter is! Glad you had a good day.
Enjoy your evening - I took mum to the cinema when The Lady in the Van was on. Wonderful - Maggie Smith just seems to be enjoying herself so very much, playing the part!

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
So glad you've had a good day, Scarlett. You must be so proud of your granddaughter. What a lovely girl. Love Il Divo. Sorry about tooth! Just had to have a canine(?) removed as it had cracked and supported a bridge so now have nasty gap which is neatly filled by 2 teeth on a titanium band. Very expensive but neater than a plate. Just got to get used to it now, especially eating. Good job that as I probably won't be able to afford food for a while

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Gosh your granddaughter is a sensitive and caring young lady. She so obviously loves you dearly too. I'm so glad you have her.
I'm glad too that you've had a nice birthday. They can be a bit hit and miss when you get older!
I love Il Divo too and am not surprised you were moved to tears. It's easily done with music and they do sing beautifully. x

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
So glad you've had a good day, Scarlett. You must be so proud of your granddaughter. What a lovely girl. Love Il Divo. Sorry about tooth! Just had to have a canine(?) removed as it had cracked and supported a bridge so now have nasty gap which is neatly filled by 2 teeth on a titanium band. Very expensive but neater than a plate. Just got to get used to it now, especially eating. Good job that as I probably won't be able to afford food for a while

The majority of my friends are about my age, and we've all got teeth problems! My best friend has had to have a chrome band fitted, but apparently that has to be removed daily. Does your titanium band stay in place, or is it a (horrible word!) denture?

About 5 years ago, John had several bottom teeth removed, but there was still a "good" one, either side at the back, so he had a block of teeth fitted, and attached to the remaining ones - and they just stayed put. And that cost nearly £3,000!!!!

As you say, at those prices, eating is out of the question!

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
They call it a denture, Scarlett but it's not like the NHS ones. It is literally a band which fits behind the teeth just showing the 2 false ones. It clips to a tooth on either side and has a supporting band going across the roof of the mouth, so no plastic plate or anything. They recommend taking it out at night to prevent gum disease, so that alone would discourage me from ever having an affaire. Who would want to wake up next to woman with a gaping hole in her teeth! Perhaps it's just as well Fred will, hopefully (unless it falls out during a visit!) never see it. At least I can find some humour in it. Just hope it doesn't set off alarms at airports - will have to blame hip joint as I'm certainly not taking it out to show them

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
They call it a denture, Scarlett but it's not like the NHS ones. It is literally a band which fits behind the teeth just showing the 2 false ones. It clips to a tooth on either side and has a supporting band going across the roof of the mouth, so no plastic plate or anything. They recommend taking it out at night to prevent gum disease, so that alone would discourage me from ever having an affaire. Who would want to wake up next to woman with a gaping hole in her teeth! Perhaps it's just as well Fred will, hopefully (unless it falls out during a visit!) never see it. At least I can find some humour in it. Just hope it doesn't set off alarms at airports - will have to blame hip joint as I'm certainly not taking it out to show them

As you say, affairs would be out of the question! In my youth, I had an hourglass figure, and it was considered that if you put a pencil under your bosom, and it fell down, then you were in good shape. Nowadays I could fit a whole branch of Ryman's under, and it would stay put. ;)

My thighs need a damn good iron, and I favour a slash neck top, rather than anything even remotely plunging. :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Following years of gum tenderness, flinching every time I ate something cold and suffering infections and abscesses I took the plunge and had all my teeth out and now wear full dentures.

Apart from looking like a witch without them, I`m delighted. No more visits to the dentist, no pain, no eating problems. Teeth and dentists are a nightmare I no longer have.

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
I love Scarlett's expression, "my thighs need a dam good iron". I know the feeling, I need a suction pump above the waist:eek: Trouble is since Robert went into the CH I have been comfort eating in the evenings. Now of course I wish I hadn't and I can't seem to get rid of it. Years ago I tried to put on weight and couldn't, does have some drawbacks getting older. Talking of dentists, I went last week just had an inspection and it costs over 90 pounds next week I have to have 2 small fillings, goodness knows what they will cost.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Following years of gum tenderness, flinching every time I ate something cold and suffering infections and abscesses I took the plunge and had all my teeth out and now wear full dentures.

Apart from looking like a witch without them, I`m delighted. No more visits to the dentist, no pain, no eating problems. Teeth and dentists are a nightmare I no longer have.

You are a very brave lady! And your post was number 59,000! :D

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I love Scarlett's expression, "my thighs need a dam good iron". I know the feeling, I need a suction pump above the waist:eek: Trouble is since Robert went into the CH I have been comfort eating in the evenings. Now of course I wish I hadn't and I can't seem to get rid of it. Years ago I tried to put on weight and couldn't, does have some drawbacks getting older. Talking of dentists, I went last week just had an inspection and it costs over 90 pounds next week I have to have 2 small fillings, goodness knows what they will cost.

After I had breast cancer, I had to give up the gym, and this coincided with John's worsening condition, and in 5 years I gained over 4 stones. :eek: I tended to both comfort eat, and eat-on-the-hoof, stuffing anything convenient into my mouth.

Over the next few years, I managed to lose a stone, but I've now lost 3 stones since last September, so I'm only a few pounds above my "toned" weight of 10 years ago. But oh! What a difference in my body! Things sag just about everywhere, and as I've lost the weight, I've lost the supporting fat.

But as nobody is ever likely to see me in an undressed state again, unless it's for medical reasons, ;) I'm not too worried. And regarding the cost of the dentist, it's frightening. I thought Dame Helen Mirren looked lovely yesterday, at the Queen's 90th Birthday horsey event, and much admired her dress, which fitted to her wrists, and neck, only exposing her hands and head.

That's the answer - cover every possible inch!

disi

Aug 4, 2014
Ex pat living in Sweden
After I had breast cancer, I had to give up the gym, and this coincided with John's worsening condition, and in 5 years I gained over 4 stones. :eek: I tended to both comfort eat, and eat-on-the-hoof, stuffing anything convenient into my mouth.

Over the next few years, I managed to lose a stone, but I've now lost 3 stones since last September, so I'm only a few pounds above my "toned" weight of 10 years ago. But oh! What a difference in my body! Things sag just about everywhere, and as I've lost the weight, I've lost the supporting fat.

But as nobody is ever likely to see me in an undressed state again, unless it's for medical reasons, ;) I'm not too worried. And regarding the cost of the dentist, it's frightening. I thought Dame Helen Mirren looked lovely yesterday, at the Queen's 90th Birthday horsey event, and much admired her dress, which fitted to her wrists, and neck, only exposing her hands and head.

That's the answer - cover every possible inch!

Goodness Scarlett how did you manage to lose 3 stones since last September, you must have extremely strong will power. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the Queen's 90th Birthday horsey event but love Helen Mirren she is so elegant. So we will all cover up everything.

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Goodness Scarlett how did you manage to lose 3 stones since last September, you must have extremely strong will power. Unfortunately I wasn't able to see the Queen's 90th Birthday horsey event but love Helen Mirren she is so elegant. So we will all cover up everything.

Last September my GP sent me for a blood test, as I hadn't had one for a while, and when the results came back, she phoned me at home, to say that my Glucose levels were worryingly high, and I was pre-diabetic.

Although I don't take sugar, or (I thought) eat much in the way of fattening foods, my eating habits had become very lazy, and I also would sit with a punnet of black grapes in the evening, mindlessly putting one after the other into my mouth.

And because I have bad arthritis and can't cut things easily, I bought bags of grated cheese, and every time I opened the fridge, I'd have a handful of cheese - well, it's just like air isn't it. ;) So I joined We*ght W*tchers, and weighed in at 13-6 on 25th September.

And on the 2nd January, I was 11-6. :D:D:D So I lost 28 pounds in 14 weeks, which was considered a good steady weight loss. Since then, I've continued to lose, a pound one week, half a pound the next, and now weigh 10-6. :D

A punnet of grapes is now divided into 4 or 5 portions, and the cheese is kept in the freezer! If I fancy a cheese wrap, then I just defrost The Bare Minimum. In my youth, and when I was regularly at the gym, I used to be just over 10 stones, and I'm 5'8", but it's strange the way I've lost the inches, and from where.

I used to be size 18, in both tops and trousers. I'm now size 12 in trousers, and they're loose, but size 16 in tops. I wear an industrial strength bra ;) I eat much better now, and cook a side of salmon, and a chicken, and then divide them into portions in bags, and freeze them, so that all I have to do at night is take something out and defrost it for the next day.

I use portion bags of frozen vegetables, which I can microwave, and this saves me trying to peel and cut things, but means I still have a much better diet. Whether I stick to it, is another thing, but I hope I can, because my knees don't ache so much. Well, they've got a lot less of me to support now. ;)

And I go to the slimming club at least every other week, as I don't have to pay now, and it keeps me on the straight and narrow - very narrow!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well done you!
I don't know what it is about bust sizes these days! I met the lady who used to run the wonderful Lingerie shop I used to go to recently. And she was admiring my reduced assets! I told her I had been supposed to come out a C after surgery - but somehow, when everything had settled down, ended up an E, much to the surgeon's mortified surprise! (Think the miscalculation was down to the fact that I was wearing a G before surgery - but was in fact a H or HH!) - Anyway, the lady, who was a professional bra fitter, said that here and in the UK, generally it tends to be only young women, who are not "fully developed", who would be a C - mature women, in her experience tend to be bigger these days. And you would notice that in shops too - when I was young, you just wouldn't get bras over a D cup in high street shops. Now, a lot of places don't carry anything smaller than a D!

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Well, LadyA. You have really made me realise that I have never grown up, having been a B cup since I graduated from an A in my late twenties! And there I was just thinking I feel younger inside than I appear!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well, LadyA. You have really made me realise that I have never grown up, having been a B cup since I graduated from an A in my late twenties! And there I was just thinking I feel younger inside than I appear!
Well, now you know why!

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Wow well done Scarlett!

Reading about bras reminded me that years ago when wonder bras first came onto the market one of my work colleagues was debating buying one to accentuate her assets. One of my other colleagues who was better endowed shall we say just looked at her and said I don't need a wonder bra, I need a surgical truss to just to hold it all up. We all howled with laughter then and the memory still gives me the giggles today!

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
I always wear a bra that's especially for post-surgery use. After I had my surgery, which meant I lost about a quarter of one side, I bought these, and stuffed the pocket with a couple of shoulder pads to take up the slack. ;)

Over the years, things have settled down, and I don't use the pads, but I love these bras because the insides are completely seam free, so nothing itches, or irritates my scars. The lining is a soft material, and they have a good supportive band underneath, wide straps, and 3 hooks at the back - and no bones.

When undressed, I look lop sided, but once I'm clothed, I haven't noticed anyone peering at my upper regions, and assessing the difference. ;). And I have no plans to be a pole dancer. :) Off to see Jersey Boys now. :D