Another stroke ...

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
It's me with the diarrhoea Amy!! But, I think mum may have it too, which is more evidence that she may have the same bug as me now as it has been a theme throughout my 4 days with this illness. Actually, I'm very pleased that mum has had a couple of bowel movements today as I do not want a repeat of that constipation/impactation we had a while back with her. Better out than in.

The agency is giving me extra calls as I need them. They really are terrific in their support. I may have to cave and request extra calls this coming week, at least until I am fully fit and able to do more for mum myself. But, for now mum stays in bed. I'm leaving her in a semi sitting position in bed to help her chest. It doesn't seem to be affecting her ability to sleep.

Thanks @Lavender45 - hope all reasonably OK with you?

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
Yes, I could arrange for medication delivery and food delivery, but it takes extra effort to organise, and I'm not sure I have any extra capacity! It was actually nice to get out of the house for a few hours and I enjoy wandering around the supermarket.

Mum is now tucked up in bed after an early evening call by the carer, so I'm going to try to relax on the sofa for a few hours. Hopefully I will feel a bit better tomorrow.

I hope your bugs are leaving your home @Amy in the US.

@Georgina63 - Happy New Year. How are things with you and your folks? I hope Christmas was bearable?
Hi @Marnie63, Happy New Year to you too. All good here. A few trials and tribulations along the way but Christmas was spent away for the first time in years, and very enjoyable....a great escape if only for a while. Life (with dementia) rumbles on! Take care. Love Gx

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Day 6 - and I think we must have this 'Australian Flu' that I heard about on the news this morning. Just checked a list of symptoms on line and I've had most of them. I feel truly dreadful still! No energy, listless, dizzy, continuing diarrhoea, still aches and pains all over, though not as bad as at the start. Mum is coughing away, but does not have a temperature nor does she seem chesty, yet. I just don't know what to do, I guess there is nothing, other than continue to sit it out and hope I feel better soon!

I hope none of you get this!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I still think I'd be able to pick up a £50 note though!
Not if I get it first! Cash is running out of my house at an alarming rate - its all the extra continence products, the ones we get on prescription are just not good enough especially the day time ones. Why can't someone design a pad or pants where the absorbency material comes down the legs a little!

Hope you get well soon. I have not heard of this Australian flu and so far mum and I are ok, but then we have not really been out much and I have stopped visitors that are coughing or sneezing and of course I have not visited Earls Court lately!!!!!

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Marnie I'm sorry to hear you are still so poorly, not to mention, miserable.

I'm relieved that so far your mum has nothing worse than a cough and that her lungs seem clear. I don't know that there is much you can do at this point? And all the advice I can offer, you already know.

So we will just keep sending healthy thoughts your way.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Not if I get it first! Cash is running out of my house at an alarming rate - its all the extra continence products, the ones we get on prescription are just not good enough especially the day time ones. Why can't someone design a pad or pants where the absorbency material comes down the legs a little!

Hope you get well soon. I have not heard of this Australian flu and so far mum and I are ok, but then we have not really been out much and I have stopped visitors that are coughing or sneezing and of course I have not visited Earls Court lately!!!!!

I know Tin, it's exasperating. Surely it can't be that difficult to design something that stops leakages. Just reading this forum would surely test some good designers. Or maybe it's just not 'exciting' enough for people to bother with? I also wish someone would introduce softer materials. The nappy pads, which unfortunately I'm back to using again with mum now, just seem to cut into her thighs from all angles. Why can't they at least use a softer material around the leg area? Cost, I suppose.

I've spend over £600 on incontinence stuff since mum had her stroke in August. The stuff the NHS provide is not industrial enough for current needs here either, and they just don't provide the variety of things you need. They don't provide wipes, cleansers, nappy bags, etc. Why the hell do I have to pay hundreds of pounds for all these things when they are required because of an illness? It's not fair.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
But, more importantly, there should be a much better bed system in place by now for people who have to spend a lot of time in bed. How 'medieval' to have to keep rolling poorly people around like we do and pulling them up the bed. Why no high tech bed yet that can reposition people without others having to break their backs? At least something that can pull people up, or stop them slipping down in the first place. It's so difficult to deal with!

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
Oh Marnie I so agree with you on all you've said about incontinence products - the fabric, the cut of the pads and "nappies" the cost of everything - Mum spends about £300 every six weeks on extra tenas, wipes, cleanser, barrier creams, bed pads - thank goodness for the higher rate AA!
Her prescription covers very little of what she needs and I have a feeling now that the GP is trying to cut it down surreptitiously as items are being reduced without telling me (going to have this out with them tomorrow grrr)

And yes - the beds!!! I have seen online a permanent slide sheet but just looking at it makes me think £2-300....!

I am an out-of-practice designer/pattern-cutter, and I can see where the nappies and pads have been cut badly purely for the sake of ease of cutting (cost AND fabric) and it makes my blood boil.
I would love to do something about it but.....time...we just don't have it!

I still think I'd be able to pick up a £50 note though!

Oh that made me laugh, it's good to see your sense of humour still going strong despite what you're going through xx

I so hope you feel better soon and your Mum is ok. What a time you're having.
Best wishes xxx

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
But, more importantly, there should be a much better bed system in place by now for people who have to spend a lot of time in bed. How 'medieval' to have to keep rolling poorly people around like we do and pulling them up the bed. Why no high tech bed yet that can reposition people without others having to break their backs? At least something that can pull people up, or stop them slipping down in the first place. It's so difficult to deal with!

Hi
How are you and Mum today?
No worries about reply if you are resting, just checking in. X

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Thanks for asking DB. I can feel the illness is starting to lift, but I think all the symptoms have washed me out so much that it's going to take some time to get fully back to normal. As least I can eat now. My sense of smell and taste have not returned yet, but the nausea has at last gone, and the diarrhoea has also finally stopped. I just feel quite dizzy a lot of the time and when I start doing something even slightly strenuous, I feel really bad again.

How is your mum doing DB - is she still in hospital?

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Thanks for asking DB. I can feel the illness is starting to lift, but I think all the symptoms have washed me out so much that it's going to take some time to get fully back to normal. As least I can eat now. My sense of smell and taste have not returned yet, but the nausea has at last gone, and the diarrhoea has also finally stopped. I just feel quite dizzy a lot of the time and when I start doing something even slightly strenuous, I feel really bad again.

How is your mum doing DB - is she still in hospital?

Oh blimey poor you, it really has gripped you.
I so dislike that feeling of no energy, all you do is think of things you could be doing. I will say dementia has taught me some things really are not important.
Stop and rest, you might tidy up or do jobs, thing is you’ll be doing the same job again next week, so I say leave it and only do what must be done, that’s sorting your Mum and YOU. Your job is rest. Yes I am told I’m bossy !
Mum still in, they still don’t know what they were treating uti or chest infection, but are happy the antibiotics have worked. Tomorrow is OT visit to the house, then expect Mum out on Thursday, subject to her hydration, minx is not drinking enough.
Eating hit and miss. She is frightened they will tell her off - never been naughty type, so I never got it from her, bless she even drank a glass of water in front of Doc, but not for us.
So not sure how going Home will go, but cross that bridge when we get there. She thinks she is at home and Dad has moved furniture around. Heyho another challenge.

How is your Mum doing? have the carers stepped up to help you out?
Kisses and hugs for you and for your Mum.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Hi Amy. I'm still not well, still have that dizzy feeling and generally not well, but it is lifting and I do have a bit more energy, which is good. Mum is still coughing, but not as bad as before. I think it's too early to assess what her new 'baseline' might be, we really both need to shift this cold/flu first. I have been hoisting her out of bed with the carers for a few hours the past few days and she seems more alert. At least she can clear her chest a bit better when sitting, and can eat properly. I'm back to being very restricted in what I can do as her 'mobility' is now only via the hoist. I've cancelled the physio twice now as there was no point in her coming, but may reinstate for next Thursday so that she can give her view and hopefully we will both be feeling even better by then with these colds.

Today I need to go out and buy food so am waiting for the carer to arrive so that we can sort mum, and I can get myself showered and dressed.

I hope you are getting better also?

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Marnie, sorry about the typo in your name above.

Maybe we have the same germs? I am not feeling better at all, I'm sorry to say, but I'm even more sorry that you aren't, either. I don't see how I could possibly look after anyone at the moment, so am impressed that you are managing, although of course needs must and I do understand that.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I hope the carer arrived in good time yesterday for you to get your errands accomplished and that you're not feeling worse for having to go out.

Hope you are both doing okay today, or as well as possible.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I think at this stage it would not be an over exaggeration to say that I have never felt so sorry for myself in my life! This illness has really dragged me down. It has completely taken all my energy away. I do feel a tiny bit better with it all, but I think it's going to be a long time before I'm back to normal. Doing everything I have to do for mum, in between the carer calls, is horrendously difficult when I feel like this. I could up the carer calls, but I just can't stand any more of them trooping into the house, they drive me mad as it is.

What to do? Mum is very poorly now as the cough she has has weakened her a lot, so I've left her in bed now. Tomorrow I will call the surgery and ask someone to come out and just check her over. I don't think there's any chest infection as her breathing is fine, but the continuing cough worries me, and she is so chesty with it. Maybe they can prescribe something to break down all the stuff she keeps trying to cough up? I really don't know now whether it's the December stroke that has led to such a decline, or the virus we both seem to have had. Probably a combination. It's hard seeing her so weak and tired looking. Utter horror to have to go through this with her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare