Another stroke ...

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Oh dear, sorry to hear you're unwell. I find that Day Nurse is quite good for a quick recovery.

It's no good if carers turn up ill but they usually don't get paid if they don't work so the system is really against them. But you need to protect your family against illness so send her away if she turns up ill again.

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
Martin has just said that some staff at the day centre had colds...and I said exactly the same to him, that they don’t get paid if they don’t turn up...and I doubt the centre have enough bank staff to run, if the staff are ill. We will just have to take our chances, but he is not bed bound. I would feel very differently if he were frail and bed bound.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I think actually mum has it too, as she's now breathing raspily and can't hold herself up straight. Think I may have to put her straight to bed. Damn that blasted carer.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
In all honesty, Marnie, the virus could have been carried in on someone's hands, or something. You could have picked it up anyway.
Apart from the problem of not being paid, some employers won't take just the employee's word that they are ill, particularly with something like a cold, and you have to provide a doctor's certificate. Then, you can't get an appointment for a few days - by which time you're better, so the doctor will give you a fishy look if you ask for a certificate for three days previously, because you had a cold.

As a precaution, could you get some face masks, and anyone else who shows up with even a sniffle could be passed a mask?

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I know you're right LadyA - maybe I'm just looking for someone to be angry at - which isn't really fair, I know. Of course I don't know it was the carer who passed the germs to us, it could have been the postman at the door, a neighbour who popped in, friends who came at the weekend, etc. I'm just tired and exhausted!!

Any idea where I get the masks from? I guess you can order them on ebay or somewhere? Good idea.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
I'm sure you can buy masks and gloves on Amazon; that's where I buy gloves as the price is better than any of my local stores, bar the big warehouse places (and even then you have to know your price comparison).

A local chemist or even a large supermarket might have some smaller packs of masks if you want some straight away.

I don't know if your carers provide their own supplies, like gloves? If so I would think you could tell the agency you want all the carers to be masked and gloved in your house?

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I caught my first full blown cold in years, just before Christmas too. Not too badly, thankfully, although I felt miserable for a few days.
Marnie, try and build your immune system. I take Sambucol - black elderberry extract - in the Autumn and Winter, although I had forgotten to get it this year! I got some today!

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I caught my first full blown cold in years, just before Christmas too. Not too badly, thankfully, although I felt miserable for a few days.
Marnie, try and build your immune system. I take Sambucol - black elderberry extract - in the Autumn and Winter, although I had forgotten to get it this year! I got some today!

I thought sambucol was alcoholic... and you don’t drink @LadyA

Oops

No no my mistake,

:rolleyes: Alcohol always on my mind.

That’s samba isnt it :D

Look after yourself @Marnie63. Nice hot lemon and honey

With perhaps a splash of....

xxxxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I thought sambucol was alcoholic... and you don’t drink @LadyA

Oops

No no my mistake,

:rolleyes: Alcohol always on my mind.

That’s samba isnt it :D

Look after yourself @Marnie63. Nice hot lemon and honey

With perhaps a splash of....

xxxxx
Samba is the dance you are sure you can do when you have had too much Sambuca, maybe? :D:D

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
I feel seriously grotty. Not sure if mum has it or not. We'll see tomorrow. I think I've pushed her too much the past couple of days as she was very weak this evening as the carer (cold now gone!) and I were putting her to bed. I think tomorrow I will leave her to rest in bed, and give myself a break too, especially if I'm feeling grotty with this cold. Maybe if we 'quarantine' her in her bedroom, the chance of her getting it will reduce? Hang on, it's me that needs to be quarantined, isn't it?! :( Actually, that sounds quite good, oh, except I can't leave mum, can I?!

What a lousy end to 2017 and start to 2018. Please Life, God, whoever, give mum a break and release her from this disease now .... please?

I will keep posting here - it gives me a release from the horror. I've pulled some books off the shelf - maybe I can disappear into those.

Thanks guys for your support.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
I feel seriously grotty. Not sure if mum has it or not. We'll see tomorrow. I think I've pushed her too much the past couple of days as she was very weak this evening as the carer (cold now gone!) and I were putting her to bed. I think tomorrow I will leave her to rest in bed, and give myself a break too, especially if I'm feeling grotty with this cold. Maybe if we 'quarantine' her in her bedroom, the chance of her getting it will reduce? Hang on, it's me that needs to be quarantined, isn't it?! :( Actually, that sounds quite good, oh, except I can't leave mum, can I?!

What a lousy end to 2017 and start to 2018. Please Life, God, whoever, give mum a break and release her from this disease now .... please?

I will keep posting her - it gives me a release from the horror.

Holding your hand tight. Life ain’t easy is it xxxxx

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London

I will keep posting here - it gives me a release from the horror. I've pulled some books off the shelf - maybe I can disappear into those.

Aw no!
One thing after another.
Good idea keeping Mum in bed, much as you can let the carers take the load tomorrow.
Take care. Sleep well. X

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Staffs