Another stroke ...

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Thank you @Amy in the US. The week turned out to be OK, and this one has started fairly well too. Pre stroke, for many, many months, mum would be very anxious if I left her with our regular carer for a few hours. Would never eat or drink anything she gave her and would not be taken to the toilet by her. Well now it has turned around. Mum not only eats the sandwich the carer makes, but tells her how good it is! It's a shame it takes a progression of the dementia for this 'improvement'.

Mum's appetite has suddenly picked up. She is eating really well and as a result the digestive issues have settled down and normalised. That in itself makes things so much easier for me to cope with. Today the physios were here again and mum was practising getting in and out of bed. She did surprisingly well and I may keep up this practise. They say it's good exercise to build up to getting in and out of the car. I had a call today advising that a handling belt would be delivered tomorrow. I forgot to mention this to the physios, but it must have been them who ordered it. Today mum walked from the lounge, through the hallway, and into her bedroom. With a frame, and the support of two physios, but she walked. I am now getting her to walk a few steps with the frame when she transfers by moving the wheelchair a little further from the destination chair. We were also practising today a step direct from chair to chair, without the frame.

I feel so much more relaxed now that the carer I didn't really like isn't coming to us any more. We've had more of another carer I like this week, and it's been great, she knows the routine, knows where everything is, and makes mum laugh. It's priceless these days seeing mum smile as she doesn't do it so often. Sad.

I had a wonderful reflexology session last Friday and plan to have more. It really is very calming and relaxing. Time for some Marnie time, methinks.

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
I'm really glad things are more settled for you Marnie. Long may that continue.

It's wonderful that your mum has made progress with walking, she is clearly a strong and determined lady. X

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
That sounds great, your mum is really improving, keep her away from dining chairs though! Finally went into the dining room to find all mine lined up at the window. I think it is time to remove a few more out of that room and maybe get a small circular table.

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
That sounds great, your mum is really improving, keep her away from dining chairs though! Finally went into the dining room to find all mine lined up at the window. I think it is time to remove a few more out of that room and maybe get a small circular table.

Tin I can imagine you eventually living in a house full of empty rooms apart from one room crammed with furniture. The door to this room has a sturdy lock in my imagination. :rolleyes: x

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire

It's amazing how much energy these elderly folk have. My mum is too frail to be moving any furniture but I remember when this all kicked off in 2015 and she didn't sleep properly for months. I remember wondering at the time how the body managed to keep going.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Not too bad thanks Marnie. Mum is being her usual cantankerous self. Only my mother could break a toilet by grabbing it with a vice like grip whilst being helped to her feet with a standing aid resulting in pulling it free of the floor. :D x

Oh dear Lavender, that sounds serious. Your mum is either exceptionally strong or the toilet wasn't attached well! I take it you have decided not to move her from the current home? I hope some of the issues you had there have been resolved.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
It's amazing how much energy these elderly folk have. My mum is too frail to be moving any furniture but I remember when this all kicked off in 2015 and she didn't sleep properly for months. I remember wondering at the time how the body managed to keep going.

Me too, where does all this strength come from!! I know she was never frightened of hard work. Although she is calmer, she is still wandering around the house only briefly stopped to sit on edge of sofa and try to stroke dog, not successful, the dog immediately came over to me.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Tin I can imagine you eventually living in a house full of empty rooms apart from one room crammed with furniture. The door to this room has a sturdy lock in my imagination. :rolleyes: x

Slowly getting there Lavender, certainly the dining room has far less in it than when mum first moved in. Snap with the loose toilet bowl - mum did it!

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Oh dear Lavender, that sounds serious. Your mum is either exceptionally strong or the toilet wasn't attached well! I take it you have decided not to move her from the current home? I hope some of the issues you had there have been resolved.

I have to be realistic Marnie. I still have issues with the home, but no one else will have her. We are in a catch 22 situation. X

Last edited:

Lavender45

Jun 7, 2015
Liverpool
Slowly getting there Lavender, certainly the dining room has far less in it than when mum first moved in. Snap with the loose toilet bowl - mum did it!
I've no idea where they find the strength. Its not like these things are screwed down with half inch screws is it! X

Georgina63

Aug 11, 2014
Thank you @Amy in the US. The week turned out to be OK, and this one has started fairly well too. Pre stroke, for many, many months, mum would be very anxious if I left her with our regular carer for a few hours. Would never eat or drink anything she gave her and would not be taken to the toilet by her. Well now it has turned around. Mum not only eats the sandwich the carer makes, but tells her how good it is! It's a shame it takes a progression of the dementia for this 'improvement'.

Mum's appetite has suddenly picked up. She is eating really well and as a result the digestive issues have settled down and normalised. That in itself makes things so much easier for me to cope with. Today the physios were here again and mum was practising getting in and out of bed. She did surprisingly well and I may keep up this practise. They say it's good exercise to build up to getting in and out of the car. I had a call today advising that a handling belt would be delivered tomorrow. I forgot to mention this to the physios, but it must have been them who ordered it. Today mum walked from the lounge, through the hallway, and into her bedroom. With a frame, and the support of two physios, but she walked. I am now getting her to walk a few steps with the frame when she transfers by moving the wheelchair a little further from the destination chair. We were also practising today a step direct from chair to chair, without the frame.

I feel so much more relaxed now that the carer I didn't really like isn't coming to us any more. We've had more of another carer I like this week, and it's been great, she knows the routine, knows where everything is, and makes mum laugh. It's priceless these days seeing mum smile as she doesn't do it so often. Sad.

I had a wonderful reflexology session last Friday and plan to have more. It really is very calming and relaxing. Time for some Marnie time, methinks.

Hi @Marnie63, lovely to hear your update. And Marnie time sounds great! Long may it continue. Gx