advice please

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
still not feeling very well. my daughter met my husband for a coffee yesterday and he had his covid booster.
my son told me to rest as much as i can although hasnt offered any help. text me tonight, 2 days later asking how i felt. i did a one word reply, rough. i got have put ribbons and lace on it but not got the patience. husband is managing well washing etc changing. as long as the washing clothes keeps up and washing up done, i dont care about anything else.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My biggest dread was what would happen to my husband if I became too ill.

Our son would have been unable to care for him 24/7. He and his wife were working full time in demanding jobs.

We had no local family.

I arranged respite in a local care home and my husband`s CPN was willing to be the coordinator.

Starting on a journey

Jul 9, 2019
Sorry to read that you are proper poorly. I don’t know what to suggest other than a direct approach to your family such as “please help me”….. a three word text might just bring them running!

I hope you have woken feeling better this morning

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Good morning @jennifer1967,

I hope you're feeling better today.

MaNaAk

PS: I remember when mum had Pneumonia at a time when she was caring for nana and dad had to persuade the elder of my two brothers to visit her! Both mum and dad were upset with him....

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
no response to my blunt message. still feel rough but determined to keep going. looking at what scotland is going through, we are warm, its dry and sunny so really havent got too much to worry about.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
I'm so sorry to hear you've been unwell this past week @jennifer1967 with all the distractions that follow :( I hate being ill but fortunate that it has been a rare occurrence this past decade, usually a bit of a domino effect with myself when one thing goes everything else follows. Hope things improve and the pressure eases on you both ❤

Scarlet Lady

Apr 6, 2021
I agree, @jennifer1967 . I’m here in windswept and very wet Whitley Bay on the north-east coast, but are not experiencing what parts of Scotland are going through. Be grateful for small mercies, indeed.
As far as sons are concerned, empathy is a quality in short supply in the male of the species, I find. (I am generalising here, so please don’t all hit me at once, gents!) My son didn't really ‘get’ issues his parents were going through till he was nearing 40. That seems to be when adulthood eventually kicks in!
Hope you feel better soon.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I agree, @jennifer1967 . I’m here in windswept and very wet Whitley Bay on the north-east coast, but are not experiencing what parts of Scotland are going through. Be grateful for small mercies, indeed.
As far as sons are concerned, empathy is a quality in short supply in the male of the species, I find. (I am generalising here, so please don’t all hit me at once, gents!) My son didn't really ‘get’ issues his parents were going through till he was nearing 40. That seems to be when adulthood eventually kicks in!
Hope you feel better soon.
mine is 37 so a few years yet.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
I was sitting on a bench in the park, waiting for my friends for tennis, when two teenage girls in school uniform came along the path. I don't know what they were talking about, as all I heard was one say to the other "I can't wait to be grown up and have no worries!"

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I was sitting on a bench in the park, waiting for my friends for tennis, when two teenage girls in school uniform came along the path. I don't know what they were talking about, as all I heard was one say to the other "I can't wait to be grown up and have no worries!"
ive heard that quite a bit. lets not burst their bubble just yet.

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
@jennifer1967 Hope you are feeling a lot better today. It's not easy being a carer is it? Especially when you don't feel well yourself.
I don't think even family understand how hard it is.
Hope your son realised and has been in touch.

@Chizz As far as youngster thinking things are better when they grow up. Think they in for a nasty shock.