A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m helping out at my friend`s Church`s Christmas Fair today.

I baked for the cake stall yesterday and am so out of practice. I have also lost confidence in an activity I used to be able to do almost automatically.

So many utensils which weren`t suitable for the dishwasher, so much standing. I was shattered last night.

Anyway it should be fun and raise some much needed cash.

stanleypj

Dec 8, 2011
North West
I can empathise as regards the loss of confidence Sylvia. I guess some of it may be down to ageing but I'm sure all the trials and tribulations of caring for a loved one with dementia play a part.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Never had a dish washer so that’s not a problem I have but yes, the confidence thing is a definite factor in going out and joining in things on one’s own after being one of a couple for so long. For me it seems not be related to having to do things on one’s own as I’ve always been happy to do that and whilst Dave had dementia I coped with everything without feeling this way. It’s only after the final loss came that this has happened. Yes, probably related to getting older but also to the fact that we are now different people - one of one - not one of two.
I do hope the fair goes well Sylvia. You are very brave to make a cake! xxx

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I think it's also that our lives have changed so much, that the skills we used to have, during the most instense of our caring years, were largely put to one side as we became maybe a bit more isolated? And then, as Saffie says, we became one of just one, so the skills weren't really needed much anymore.
There was a time when having large crowds over for dinner was second nature to me. I think the most we ever had to a meal here was 26. That time, people just had to take their plates and find a perch wherever they could! For everyone to sit around tables, I think the most we could host was 16. In those years, I never had a problem churning out full meals for those numbers. Now? If someone were to call unexpectedly, they wouldn't even get a biscuit with their tea!

AliceA

May 27, 2016
I am the same, I used to throw parties for 60, single handed without turning a hair.
Now, finding the biscuits is enough most days.
Meals are simple.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My cakes sold and looked and smelled OK . The trouble with large cakes is they can`t be tasted to check they are good. Some of the cakes looked truly professional but were home made. Mine looked home made.

I was helping my friend on the bric a brac stall. She had many, many bags of goods to carry in and mobility issues. It was absolutely pouring with rain and parking was extremely limited near this village church, even with a blue badge, so it was fun and games.

It seemed every church in Thanet had a Christmas Fair on Saturday, December 1st., including our town, even so, we raised over £3,000 towards refurbishment for the church hall.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Well done, the homemade look is getting fashionable these day! It is the taste that counts!

I think most churches and organisations chose that day.
You did well, x

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Well done, Sylvia! Nothing wrong with a cake that looks home made. Personally, I'm not a fan of cakes that look so professional, they look like it would be a shame to eat them!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Such is the skill of the church ladies, the professional looking home made cakes were delicious but thanks for your support re my offerings.

I`ll be away for a couple of days from tomorrow. I`ll be staying with Jan/BeckyJan in Derbyshire. Some of you will remember her as a carer for her husband and a Moderator.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Such is the skill of the church ladies, the professional looking home made cakes were delicious but thanks for your support re my offerings.

I`ll be away for a couple of days from tomorrow. I`ll be staying with Jan/BeckyJan in Derbyshire. Some of you will remember her as a carer for her husband and a Moderator.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I had a lovely couple of days with Jan in her new home.

On Wednesday we braved the torrential rain for a day in Manchester. Manchester is where I came from originally so it was a nostalgic trip and even though so much has changed, I still knew where I was.

From the train, we travelled on the free runaround city bus. Because the rain was so heavy, the bus was packed and when someone offered me a seat I accepted gratefully. I then realised no one offered Jan their seat and she is two years older than I am. I must have looked older and more needy. :eek:

We both saw the funny side but Jan was the one who was pleased. I`ll have to be satisfied with being young at heart. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch