A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My eye test today revealed Macular Degeneration and I have a scan booked for 17th September to check if it needs treatment or not.

I've been having some visual disturbances and it was the reason my eyes have been slow to adjust from light to dark recently so I knew something was amiss.

Apparently its age related. :rolleyes:

I'm beginning to sound like a creaking gate.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Sorry to hear that Sylvia, I hope you can soon get some treatment

Actually I don’t mind the words age related used in relation to macular degeneration, my brother has macular degeneration which is not age related!

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I’m sorry to hear this Sylvia. More eye problems is not what you need I know.
I’m presuming it is the dry variety. It is something I dread already having glaucoma in one eye.
Yes, age-related health issues are inescapable aren’t they! x

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
I'm sorry you have this to deal with, Sylvia :(
I guess the scan will tell you more. If treatment is possible, does this mean it's the wet type of AMD ?
All the best
Lindy xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I'm sorry you have this to deal with, Sylvia :(
I guess the scan will tell you more. If treatment is possible, does this mean it's the wet type of AMD ?
All the best
Lindy xx

Thanks so much everyone. I'm not panic stricken. I've had eye problems all my life and this is a continuation of the same.

Lindy /@Lindy50 I don't know enough about it. I have dry eyes so this might be the dry form . I haven't long to wait for the scan.

I've been reading up about diagnosis and the black dot and grid test seemed fine. If not, I might have seen wavy lines instead of straight lines.
I've also had a vision field test but have no idea if I saw all the green dots or missed some.

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Thanks so much everyone. I'm not panic stricken. I've had eye problems all my life and this is a continuation of the same.

Lindy /@Lindy50 I don't know enough about it. I have dry eyes so this might be the dry form . I haven't long to wait for the scan.

I've been reading up about diagnosis and the black dot and grid test seemed fine. If not, I might have seen wavy lines instead of straight lines.
I've also had a vision field test but have no idea if I saw all the green dots or missed some.

So another challenge Sylvia, I am sure you will meet it. You have the right attitude and that is the best vehicle we have to navigate this rough journey through life.
With love, ❤️

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton

I hate, absolutely hate, the field test! I had another one in the hospital a fortnight ago. I know that with glaucoma of course I don’t see all the lights - we have lights which vary in size and brightness - but panic dreadfully when there are long gaps between those I see.
I don’t think having dry eyes relates in any way to the type of macular degeneration as they are quite common as we age but the dry version is more prevalent I believe. Good luck, there ‘s always something around the corner to catch us out isn’t there! x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
IMG_0931.jpeg

I took myself in hand today and went for a cliff top walk. I haven’t walked properly since the heatwave caused my feet to swell but had no excuse today. The weather is perfect. The scenes were beautiful.

I did some shopping on the way home so waited for the bus back. Two lovely young girls were at the bus stop. I’d say late teenagers. One said to the other “ I can’t wait for Christmas “

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Well done Sylvia! Not such a nice day here today but I had my hour session of Nordic Walking. It was good fun. The success of the training sessions of course will be in whether I buy my own poles and keep going after the 4 weeks of training are over.:rolleyes:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Nordic walking looks vigorous @Izzy and it takes me all my time to stroll.
It looks as if it requires excellent coordination too.
I expect it`s fun though .
Would you only do it with a group or would you have the confidence to walk alone? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.