A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
I think that even attempting such a change is a very courageous thing to do, especially as you have no guarantee of improvement but if you don't try you will never know!
Keep us all posted xx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
As you know I only have need for one hearing aid. I got it last year at the age of 65. I took quite a long time to get used to it - even putting it in properly. I found it very strange to even feel that I has something in my ear all the time. Now I put it in as soon as I've showered in the morning and don't take it out again until I go to bed. I hardly notice it. I've even started having a shower when I suddenly remembered I had the hearing aid in.

I gradually got used to it and now when I go out with friends they no longer ask which is my good ear before they decide who will sit where!

I know it's different for me as I have only minimal hearing loss in my other ear. it must be much harder for you.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
Not at all sick and tired of hearing about it Sylvia. I have several friends who have had to have hearing aids, some only the one and others two. I have heard of their difficulties. The secret seems to be patience and perseverance. Two went from NHS to going private.

As Nelbelles said if you don’t try you will never know, and would always wonder.

Perhaps 'prepare for the worst and hope for the best' approach?

Even if any benefit is minimal it would be worth it. But sounds like it could be a long wait before you know.... Good luck Sylvia, here's hoping, and keep us posted.

Loo xx

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
I have only just picked up on this thread and the recent comments about hard of hearing and deafness are particularly relevant to me
I wear aids in both ears and have had eight sets of hearing aids in the past ten years
I had four pairs from the adult hearing centre until they told me that they couldn't
help me any more because the ones I had were the best and there was a three year warranty remaining
I tried ****ts . paid a fortune for aids and got my money back because they were useless
Went to S*******S ,they are better but I still cannot hear voices or listen to music
I am told repeatedly by the audiologists that I will hear a pin drop /a tap dripping ,paper rustling , And I can , but I want to hear voices , take part in a conversation , listen to the music I loved , but now cannot bear the shrieking cacophony of orchestras and choirs that I used to love
I once got reference from the Adult H C to the hospital (ENT)but the doctor without seeing me said he did not think it necessary I appealed to my own doctor , but never got any response
I am back and forward regularly to the audiologists to have my aids tuned , but it never seems to work
To make matters worse the doctor I have been seeing recently was going to refer me to the hospital ENT , but she has now left so I have to start all over again
I know I must sound a miserable old 'B' but I have just returned from the funeral of a very loved friend and for thirty minutes I had to put up with voices I could not hear or music that I loved in the past but now only a screeching noise
So I do understand the frustration of those of you with hearing loss
jimbo

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I am told repeatedly by the audiologists that I will hear a pin drop /a tap dripping ,paper rustling , And I can , but I want to hear voices , take part in a conversation , listen to the music I loved , but now cannot bear the shrieking cacophony of orchestras and choirs that I used to love

jimbo

I think you understand more than most jimbo.

Like you I don`t particularly want to hear a pin drop but I`m still able to carry on a one to one conversation and even conversation is a small group. I can still enjoy music except for the flute, and the violin and piano cut off when they reach a certain pitch.

Classic FM`s number one in the Hall of Fame for 2017 is The Lark Ascending by Vaughan Williams. I can`t hear a note.

You certainly are not a miserable old anything Jimbo. It`s very frustrating to be isolated in a crowd and I really wish you could be helped. Music and conversation are two aspects of humanity which help unite us.

It`s what I have always appreciated about TP. It`s the one place we can make connections without missing anything.

Thank you Loo for your encouragement.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
When my mum first got hearing aids, she was told to slowly increase the time she wore them over a fortnight.

She did this, but then only wore them when she went out. When she stayed here, and wore them all day every day, after a week we could notice a significant difference in her hearing. I never could get her to understand she needed to wear them more at home as it took a while for her ears to retune (maybe her stubbornness but more likely the start of AD)

I've also heard that the loud noises (such as toilets flushing and cutlery banging) get tuned out by your brain after time but this takes a minimum of 2 to 4 weeks of regular wear.

I hope they bring you some improvement for you.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks JM.

I will wear mine all the time at home and out. I`ll only take it out if I find I can`t manage.

I`m struggling with the phone. I know the phone has to be held by the mike but it`s uncomfortable.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My sister takes her's out for the phone.

I think I'll be doing that too Saffie.

Worse than the hearing aid, worse than falling, the ants are back . I've got powder all over the kitchen and I'm having problems squirting it from the container. I've no strength or grip in my hands because of the arthritis.

Im supposed to be baking a cake for my meditation group tomorrow. How can I in an infested kitchen ? :eek:

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
What I found worked quite well and was non-toxic to pets and people were little bowls of sugar water strategically placed on the floor. The ants are attracted, crawl in and drown.

I'm sure you can bake a cake in your kitchen. I know how house-proud you are. :)

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
I've posted this before and I will post it again: what you really need to do is get the ants to take poison bait back to their nests, because killing them in situ doesn't kill all the ones you can't see. I make up a solution of either sugar water or tuna fish plus boric acid or borax. I make a fairly shallow flat dish of foil and put it where I've seen the ants. They flock to it, eat it and take it back to the nest. In my experience it takes no more than a couple of days. But you shouldn't kill them when you see them when doing this, and I know this can be tough for some people.

This is toxic to pets (and people if they drink it :eek:) but you don't have pets Sylvia.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I had a lovely day in London today, to see Les Miserables for the third time.

Each time I`ve seen it, it has had a different cast and small differences in the production, but the quality of the music and the singing has been as spell binding as ever. I enjoy this show so much I could have sat through the full production again, immediately afterwards, even though I was an emotional wreck.

Posted by an ardent fan. :)

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I've never had an ant problem, but dau did last year. They struggled with them until they went on holiday, when I went and put bait stations down in their kitchen. Little plastic thing, I got them in the supermarket hardware section. Worked very well. Not an ant to be seen within a couple of days.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Lady A. It`s what I`ve done and so far so good. :) I`m still entering the kitchen with trepidation but it`s still ant free.

mulhuis

Mar 27, 2009
Kent
Les Mis-what can I say! Saw Carousel last month. A very long day particularly taking Gayna on the train in a wheelchair but well worth it. Rip it up next in October at the Winter Gardens. Louis Smith, Jay McGuinnes and Natalie Lowe from Strictly and then Queen at the O2 in December thanks to Brian May but that's a whole other story. Hope things continue in the right direction with the hearing aid. I appreciate what it's like getting used to something new. If you need a hand with the ants or anything just let me know. The bus from opposite me goes right past your road and I have a disabled persons pass so not a problem and always enjoy a natter with you.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
It's so good to see you going to see the ballet and shows etc. Sylvia. I hope the hearing aid works out so that you can gain even more enjoyment from your outings.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm afraid to admit it here - I've never seen Les Mis and I have no desire too!

...... dives behind sofa wearing tin hat!:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Micmomgram 5