A new stage in my life...................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
What will you read aloud Sylvia? There's a book in Rob's room that I sometimes read to him..it's The Nation's favourite poems.. We enjoy limericks, and he seems able to enjoy them, maybe it's the familiar rhythm...
Someone with a new hearing aid told me she was amazed at the toilet flushing, and other associated noises!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Someone with a new hearing aid told me she was amazed at the toilet flushing, and other associated noises!

It`s like Niagara Falls Anne. :) Also putting cutlery away sounds like someone being shackled in a cellar.

I will tolerate this if speech becomes clearer. Theres no point having all this amplification and still missing important words.

I started to read aloud last night. Just the book I`m reading. I felt rather silly but read half a paragraph. The man who does the garden is coming in a while so a chat with him over a cup of tea will suffice for today.

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
It`s like Niagara Falls Anne. :) Also putting cutlery away sounds like someone being shackled in a cellar.

I will tolerate this if speech becomes clearer. Theres no point having all this amplification and still missing important words.

I started to read aloud last night. Just the book I`m reading. I felt rather silly but read half a paragraph. The man who does the garden is coming in a while so a chat with him over a cup of tea will suffice for today.

Dad only wore his hearing aids around people as he couldn't stand the noise of the hoover, loo flushing etc.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland

I had a great aunt years ago, who was extremely deaf. Without her hearing aids, she could hear nothing at all, but was an expert lip reader. She got hearing aids as a young adult, and my mum said that Lily couldn't believe how noisy everyday life was - things like setting the table for tea, teaspoons going on saucers, doors closing, footsteps going across a floor. All things she could never remember hearing before. Mind you, when us children would get noisy, she'd pull the old fashoined hearing aid "box" out of the special pocket that was sewn into all her clothes, and gleefully tell people "Well for me - I can switch them off!" :D

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`ve been told the only way I may benefit is to wear the aid all the time in case other brain cells will compensate. I have seen this happen with young children but the fear is I`m too long in the tooth for it to happen with me.

Unfortunately when I was young little was known about high frequency loss and so there was nothing to help it.

Thanks again for so much support. :)

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Well a positive reaction so far, I hope at the very least the fact you are already hearing talking going on around you will enable to interact more. xx

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
Good news Sylvia. Is it the case that with time you/your ears/brain will learn to filter out background noise?

My mum complained she could hear the dog breathing!

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Good news Sylvia. Is it the case that with time you/your ears/brain will learn to filter out background noise?

My mum complained she could hear the dog breathing!

I can hear myself breathing Sue so I know how your mum felt. When I'm eating it sounds as if I'm chomping at the trough.

Was you mum older when she got a hearing aid Sue and did it help her?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I can hear myself breathing Sue so I know how your mum felt. When I'm eating it sounds as if I'm chomping at the trough.

That seems really positive Sylvia. I'm sure you will gradually get used to these sensations and that your general hearing will improve - fingers crossed!

Jinx

Mar 13, 2014
Pontypool
I do hope you find group conversation easier. I must admit I struggle a bit to hear when there's a lot of background noise. My younger daughter speaks very quietly and I can't always hear her. In the car it's especially difficult beacuse I can't see her face full on, so I suppose sub-consciously I probably lip read a bit, probably we all do to some extent. xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Thanks Jinx.

It will take a while for me to experience any improvement and I will try to be patient. I`m useless in a car.

I think my first proper test will be on 25th June when I`ll be seeing a play which my grandson is co-directing.

Then it will be July when I`ll be going to a charity lunch. You can see I`m thinking well ahead. :)

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs

It did help when she bothered to put them in! She would only put them in however if she was in company and so she never really retrained her brain/ears to cut out background noise.

We had numerous battles with her and the audiologist told she should wear them from getting up to going to bed, before admitting she couldn't get her own mother to wear hers :rolleyes:.

A friend of mine who is in her late 60's has been referred for tests for having a cochlear implant.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think hearing aids are really the most difficult aids to get used to, especially when you are older, find noise intrusive and have to be satisfied with imperfection throughout all the inconvenience.

My biggest challenge is to stay positive even though there doesn`t seem to be any improvement. This is because I`ve been told a] it might not work and b] if it does work the benefit will be minimal and c] if it does work it will take a long time before I will be able to appreciate it has. :D

Sorry. I bet you’re all sick and tired of hearing about it. I`ll shut up now but I do appreciate the interest that`s been shown and the support I`ve received. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Max69