A lifelong friend and me

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by Palerider, May 19, 2019.

1. Palerider

Palerider Registered User

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    North West
    Today is mum's birthday and we have been out to Chatsworth had tea and now are at home after a not too bad a day. Mum is again more agitated/hyper/restless I am wondering if she has yet another UTI, although her leg is looking very red, but doesn't feel hot ??? Anyway she has despite this been quite happy and content. The finale of the day is a chinese meal, which mum is looking forward to (and so am I, I'm bloody starving).

I start with the laundry service this week, which hopefully allows me to focus on other things and not feel deflated when I have to start ironing shirts and trousers for work. I am also looking at tumble dryers as mums accidents are becoming more frequent as we approach winter and there is no way on this earth I will get everything dry if I depended only on the weather. Any tips on good tumble dryers would be welcome fellow TP members.......

2. secrets

secrets Registered User

May 27, 2017
    Gosh ,you really have gone through a lot and even jeopardized your own future to a point,but you still battle on ,and I salute you.
    I agree that SS is sadly lacking when we are desperate for help,in fact I would go as far as to say,we are very much alone and are left to our own devices to cope as best we can.
    Friends seem to fall by the wayside and we become rather isolated.
    I do wish you well,and that you can continue the sterling work you are doing.

3. Bikerbeth

Bikerbeth Registered User

Feb 11, 2019
    Bedford
    Hope the Chinese meal went well and the birthday ended on a good note.
    Sorry no advise on tumble driers - never had the space to own one

4. Woohoo

Woohoo Registered User

Apr 30, 2019
    Female
    South East
    Happy Belated Birthday to Mum, sounds like she had a good day :). I have a trip to Chatsworth on my list. I know they have been in the news but I have a Whirlpool tumble drier, it is 21 years old and still going strong .Have family in USA who use tumble driers daily so asked them for recommendations .

5. Jaded'n'faded

Jaded'n'faded Registered User

Jan 23, 2019
    Female
    High Peak
    Tumble driers? Pah! I've had a Sheila Maid for years and love it... Slightly slower, perhaps, but very cheap (free!) to run!

Bet your mum would love one... ;)

6. Duggies-girl

Duggies-girl Registered User

Sep 6, 2017
    What's a Sheila Maid @Jaded'n'faded

I used to have a Flately many years ago, it was good because it warmed the bedroom as well.

7. Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
    Female
    High Peak
    It's like a rack thing made up of 4 long wooden pieces with metal brackets at each end. It is attached to the ceiling with ropes/pulleys so you hang your wet washing on it then hoist it up out of the way.

[​IMG]

8. Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
    Ah yes @Jaded'n'faded a friend of mine has one of those hanging over the bath. I didn't know what it was called and I bet she doesn't either.

9. Woohoo

Woohoo Registered User

Apr 30, 2019
    Female
    South East
    Have bought one of these to put up as friend had one and it was brilliant , dries really quickly , under garments have to go in tumble drier as one child changes 5 times a day so have 10 pairs a day and would drive me mad hanging all those up ! :(

10. Lynmax

Lynmax Registered User

Nov 1, 2016
    I could not live without my tumble dryer! Even though I live alone, I am a great believer in using technology to make my life easier. So I wash my clothes when I need to, usually when I am running out of clean knickers! Sorry if that's too much information! It doesn't matter what the weather is like, I use the outside washing lines if appropriate or pop the dryer on.

If I was washing bedding on a daily basis then I would definitely have a dryer! Why faff around if you can avoid it?

I needed a new one a couple years ago and made sure that the water collector tray ( I gave a condenser type as it is not near an outside wall to fit an outlet pipe) was at the top of the machine - much easier than bending down to floor level to empty it after each use,

I would not be without my dishwasher either - I am such a lazy slob!

11. Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    North West
    OMG I haven't seen one of those in years, we used to have one. Think I'll stick with a tumble dryer @Jaded'n'faded no disrespect as mum would be hanging paper tissues on it

12. Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    North West
    I think you can't beat a dry day and a washing line. But the time has come to deal with the increasing workload of washing and drying. Not sure which is better a condenser or vented dryer? Also tempted on the dishwasher but have nowhere to install one in the kitchen

13. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    My tumble drir packed up just before Christmas and I havent had time to get rid of it and sort out a new one, so Ive been hanging stuff outside to dry and then over the airer, or in the airing cupboard. Its been OK during the summer, but now that autumn has arrived I really do need to get my act together

PS - I have a dishwasher too - it is my main support system :p

14. Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    North West
    I am jealous really could do with a dishwasher to be honest

15. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    I have a slimline dishwasher which is placed under the sink. Ive only got a small kitchen, but I was determined to get one in!

16. Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    North West
    Hmmm choosing one is hard so many dfferent things on them now including sensors etc and wifi

17. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    Think about whether you will actually use all these bells and whistles.........

18. Rosettastone57

Rosettastone57 Registered User

Oct 27, 2016
    My mother-in-law had one of these and I didn't know this was the name. I have a condenser sensor dryer which means it can go in any room. A bit more expensive though, but I find the sensor a bit hit and miss. With a large load,eg sheets, there are areas of damp still. You don't have to use the sensor, but It's a bit trial and error.

19. Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
    We have a slimline dishwasher and it is good. We used to have a full size one but if you don't fill it up quickly they can start to smell. There are 3 of us in the house, well there used to be but now I am mostly at dad's I suppose there is only 2

Anyway a slimline was adequate for the 3 of us.

20. Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
    Female
    High Peak
    I had to lose the cupboard under the sink to fit in my (slimline) dishwasher - definitely worth it. (And I live by myself!)

But the Sheila Maid is brilliant. I hang the washing one day and take it down dry the next day. Must have had this one for 30+ years and it has never needed any attention or bits replacing...

Unlike me :D