Tonight I actually snapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuggalug

Mar 24, 2014
Norfolk
I know, I know, It's just hard asking for it, I feel like I have failed if I ask

Blokes... I don't know :D

You might be a bloke Dave, but you're still a human being with feelings. I hope the situation evens itself out with people who are actually trained in this area.

Be kind to yourself was one of the loveliest things said on here. Do it, Dave. Be kind to yourself.

Man, I'm glad I ain't the only one who loses it, but after reading your news, I sort of wish I was to save everyone else from going though it.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Remember when you go to the memory clinic, they aren't social services, so if you want them to refer you, to ask for help, you will need to make that request, as otherwise it suits them to keep the status quo. Worth writing down in advance what you need help with, the more specific the better.

So what would help?
Help with domestic things? Cooking? Cleaning? Washing and Ironing? A carer/cleaner?
Help to escape for a few hours? A sitter of some sort?
Has she got to a point where she could go to a day centre? It sounds like she is pretty fixed in what she likes/dislikes and I think it must be so hard for younger people with dementia to end up in groups which are predominantly very elderly.

Each time you think 'I'm a bloke, I don't do asking for help' remember it is not you who you are asking for. The help is for her, to keep you going and healthy to care for her, so think of it as asking for help with her, if that helps get over that hurdle. The old adage that you can't care for someone if you don't first care for yourself comes into play.

WIFE

May 23, 2014
WEST SUSSEX
These selfish relatives who find it so easy to "deny" there is a "situation". In my case its a dysfunctional sister. Please get some advice if not help - put pride aside - it only clouds the issues at hand. You need, deserve and should have assistance - should not be having to carry all the weight on your shoulders. You may feel better today - but there is always tomorrow!

Thinking of you and your wife.

Tinkerbelle258

Nov 13, 2012
N E Lincolnshire
I know, I know, It's just hard asking for it, I feel like I have failed if I ask

Blokes... I don't know :D

It's not just blokes Dave. I am in the very same situation caring for my husband. Last week I snapped big time. I was mortified afterwards as he understood most of what was happening but is unable to communicate easily. Afterwards he came and put his arm around me and said "sorry". For heavens sake, what does he have to be sorry for!! It's me that can't always hold it together! However, like you, I have been shunning all offers of help, believing I could do it all on my own. My family are very supportive but from a distance as they live 4-5 hours away.
I have been offered the chance of visits from the local carers group to do an assessment, also from the local Parkinsons Support group (he has both dementia and Parkinsons). I have refused both as I believed it wasn't the right time, other people needed their help more.
Perhaps it's time for both of us to look at the bigger picture and do what's best for our loved ones continuing care, rather than thinking about ourselves as being failures. All week I've been telling myself "it's not just what I want" but "what WE need". I think I'm slowly getting there but it'll take a bit longer yet.
Sorry for "going on a bit" but I just wanted to let you know that I know exactly how you feel and that the wise people who offer advice on TP really do know what they're talking about as they have all been through it. Do be kind to yourself x

malomm

Mar 23, 2014
Campania Region, Italy
Hi Dave, you're not alone. I have almost snapped 3 times this week, the last not more than 5 minutes ago :).
After 5 years as sole carer, and my wife getting steadily worse, the strain does begin to show. We are in a situation where carers/social services etc. are practically non existent. I did manage to get neurologist appointment for 9 July, which may help us towards some sort of carers allowance. I've tried to hire carers/cleaners locally, but nobody seems to need the money. No.1 son lives 2500 miles away, no 2 son lives 10 mins. away, but is too busy with his own business and family, and no.3 son, who is single with 2 dogs is working away. He often pops by, especially if broke. Grandchildren of course busy with school and hectic social life. Physically my wife is very active, which makes her doubly dangerous around electricity, gas, water, and household appliances. On Tue a.m. as I was on the way out to do a quick shop, she locked the bedroom door before I'd had time to get my money/driving licence, and hid/lost/misplaced (you choose) the key. 2 mins later complete denial, and no recollection of where the key might be. The house is quite big, so after about an hours fruitless search, I saw red and phoned no. 2 son and asked him to intervene. He did come round, and the key turned up in a bathroom cabinet, tucked in amongst some curlers. This p.m., with stormy weather on the horizon, insisted she was going to walk to the garden if I wouldn't drive her there. We're talking 5 miles on mountain roads. I've had her lost twice already with tricks like that, so although' feeling rough meself, off we go. Get there to a heavy shower and cold wind; and 'oh, it's too cold, I want to go home' so we picked a few strawberries and back we came. About 20 mins ago browsing here, and trying to find out what time the match is on and storm strikes. 'Oh, come and look at the lightning and the rain. My arm hurts can you give me a massage.'
Keep smiling Dave I have about 3 mins to do the massage and pour a glass of Jaimison's before the match starts - she loves football even if she hasn't a clue, bless her.
all the best,
malomm

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app

dymphna

Feb 25, 2014
York
Dave, I have just become aware of your original post - devastating!
My first reaction is to marvel at the number of responses; it cannot be fare behind whatever the record is - PLEASE feel loved and cared for. In just a few short weeks, you have acquired a large fan base, many of whom would help you personally, if that were possible.

Secondly, since you are the same age as my sons, I cannot suppress these quasi maternal feelings that make me crave to stop you suffering, or at least, give you the biggest possible hug.

Lastly, I hope you realise that we minor posters absolutely need your vigorous and humorous presence on tp. SO, kindly take the advice offered by so many and return refreshed ad inspired.

Have a good night. My thougts are with you and your lovely wife. XxxD

PS I have had a pig of a day, but have been able to talk to our supportive CPN.

oldfella

Nov 26, 2012
somerset
i feel for you

Dave
I know how you feel and have been there many times my wife has had AD for over 4 years now. My local adult social services told me about the Direct Payment scheme, they pay me to employ someone to look after my wife for 3 days a week while I hold down a part time job, this gives me a bit of freedom to escape and put some sanity back into my own world, but also allows me to look after my wife as well. Please give the social services a try.
Don't suffer in silence or you will end up in a very dark place that I went to some time ago.

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
Dave, I have just become aware of your original post - devastating!
My first reaction is to marvel at the number of responses; it cannot be fare behind whatever the record is - PLEASE feel loved and cared for. In just a few short weeks, you have acquired a large fan base, many of whom would help you personally, if that were possible.

Secondly, since you are the same age as my sons, I cannot suppress these quasi maternal feelings that make me crave to stop you suffering, or at least, give you the biggest possible hug.

Lastly, I hope you realise that we minor posters absolutely need your vigorous and humorous presence on tp. SO, kindly take the advice offered by so many and return refreshed ad inspired.

Have a good night. My thougts are with you and your lovely wife. XxxD

PS I have had a pig of a day, but have been able to talk to our supportive CPN.

I feel a little better now (or I have my anger better under control this evening)

I do not feel loved or cared for, I feel that I did something really wrong in a past life to have the life I am living right now

It is not about me, me, me,me (I leave that to my OH) but I am here to help others that are experiencing the effects of AD be it better or worse than I am involved in right now

Yes, I loose it as do most if not all carers, some admit it and some do not, I do not mind admitting that I am struggling and will never refuse to led a shoulder, advice and help to others when I can

If it were not for TP I would have gone over the edge a few times

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
Dave
I know how you feel and have been there many times my wife has had AD for over 4 years now. My local adult social services told me about the Direct Payment scheme, they pay me to employ someone to look after my wife for 3 days a week while I hold down a part time job, this gives me a bit of freedom to escape and put some sanity back into my own world, but also allows me to look after my wife as well. Please give the social services a try.
Don't suffer in silence or you will end up in a very dark place that I went to some time ago.

Never heard of the "Direct Payment Scheme" but I will research this in the morning

I work from home, for myself so it is hard being in the house 24/7/365 with the occasional walking the dog on my own when I can slip out

Call me stupid, pig-headed or just an idiot but I try to keep away from social services, never had any dealings with them but have read so much how you have to fight to get what it is you need.

I do enough "internal" fighting to be bothered with fighting with social services, I can really do without it, for the time being anyway, but thank you for the suggestion, if it gets any worse then I may explore this route.

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Never heard of the "Direct Payment Scheme" but I will research this in the morning

I work from home, for myself so it is hard being in the house 24/7/365 with the occasional walking the dog on my own when I can slip out

Call me stupid, pig-headed or just an idiot but I try to keep away from social services, never had any dealings with them but have read so much how you have to fight to get what it is you need.

I do enough "internal" fighting to be bothered with fighting with social services, I can really do without it, for the time being anyway, but thank you for the suggestion, if it gets any worse then I may explore this route.

Hi Dave

There was a thread on here recently that discussed direct payments: http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?71418-Direct-payments

Basically your wife would have an assessment from SS and then instead of them providing services like day care, they would pay her / you the equivalent cost, for you to source the care she needed. Usually they help you with this but you can be quite creative. For example, if someone needed help with hair washing, you wouldn't necessarily have to get a carer in, you could use the money for someone to take her to the hairdresser.....that type of thing.

It might well suit you and your wife, I think :)

Plus, I always feel that because you work at home, you underestimate the need for support. If you had to go out to an office to earn the cash to keep a roof over your heads.....what help would your wife need then?

All the best

Lindy xx

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
i think where people get into trouble with SS it tends to be to do with funding battles. Having a carer assessment is not about a funding battle, it is about giving you financial and other support. Just deciding you don't want to get SS involved is making a decision about them without any knowledge of how they can help, so yep, you said it you are being a bit, um pig headed about it.:D You are kind of doing a 'yeah but, no but' thing in here.
For goodness sake Dave, nearly everyone on here is saying the same thing, ring social services, don't bother waiting for the memory clinic visit, that is a separate thing, and ask for a carer assessment. They will come and do it anywhere you like, they will meet you in a cafe or somewhere that is convenient for you to slip out to so you can talk freely away from your oh and see what help, and funding, they can offer, none of which involves talking to your wife, so she doesn't have to know about it. And if you feel they aren't helpful, well fine, you just walk away again but nothing ventured nothing gained.

Sorry I feel like I am going on at you on your various threads :Dbut it is so blindingly obvious that you need to shift a gear and let in professional help that it is painful to read your posts. Getting low with all this can colour your thinking and I think you think your situation is helpless, but I think it can be shifted a bit but you just can't see that for the emotional fatigue you have.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I second everything RaggedRobin says. Until you know what's on offer you can't make an informed decision. I think you have reached the point where your needs need to be addressed or your wife will end up suffering.

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I third it , nobody is saying it is easy, it is probably the most difficult thing you have to do in your life, but please don't leave it too late, what will your wife do if you are ill, have a breakdown or worse, get at least something in motion before then, Be brave and stop procrastinating x

Best wishes Jeany

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
I agree too. Found the care assessor very helpful and the social worker assigned to us (after many years of reluctance on my part) has been involved and caring. Perhaps I am fortunate in that. I know others have had a bad experience with social services but here they do try to help. So let go of your male pride, we females have it too and hang in there as long as we can, and see what can be done to help you. Am not pretending to know your wife and how she is, but she may just surprise you. My husband certainly did as I was adamant that he wouldn't accept anyone but me but I couldn't have been more wrong in the end. Not saying that that will happen for you but perhaps maybe........

Sent from my GT-N5110

Grace L

Jun 14, 2014
NW UK
Morning Dave,
I agree with what others have said, please give outside help a try...
I know I've expressed my negative thoughts on SS/SW, but they are not all the same.

The best help I found, after several years, came from Age Concern (now Age UK), who provided a sitter (male). He would come for appx 2 hours every other week.
The plan was, they would go out for a little drive / coffee, shopping ...
The service was free, but I paid for coffees etc.
When my husbands behaviour got too difficult to manage :(, my sitter still came, but they did not go out.
The sitter liked J (and me ), and said he would still come and I could use the time to go out myself.

It was the Psychologist that told us about the Age Concern service, not SW.
Psychologist was cross with SW for not telling me. She also said the GP can make referrals.

I/we also used Crossroads as a sitting service. They were very good. This was a sitting service only.
I had to pay for this (no SS involvement), and used them on the opposite weeks I used Age Concern.
It meant I had 2/3 hours off from caring every week,
I'd go out, but even though I knew J was in good hands, I never could relax or stop worrying.... ever !!
You know what it its like, your head always thinking of someone else and not yourself.

Crossroads will also take people out shopping, day trips, hair cuts. Its up to you to tell them what kind of service your would like.

Have you joined your local Carers Association ?
They will be able to tell you what help is available to you, and I think you will find it less 'invasive' than SS....

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Hope you are doing ok now Dave. It makes me so mad though - the disease and caring for someone with it is hard enough. ("We" have been up since 3.48a.m.! And had a physical battle to get a sodden pad changed. again. I did manage to get the pad changed, but he held on like grim death to his soaked pj bottoms, so I just said "sod it - stay in them then!":mad:) But why, why can't the powers that be make it a little easier for carers to at least find out about what help and benefits are available? Why is it all such a quagmire, and we have to go digging and searching and phoning and phoning and phoning to try and get anything? Surely things could be a little more cohesive?

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I feel a little better now (or I have my anger better under control this evening)

I do not feel loved or cared for, I feel that I did something really wrong in a past life to have the life I am living right now

It is not about me, me, me,me (I leave that to my OH) but I am here to help others that are experiencing the effects of AD be it better or worse than I am involved in right now

Yes, I loose it as do most if not all carers, some admit it and some do not, I do not mind admitting that I am struggling and will never refuse to led a shoulder, advice and help to others when I can

If it were not for TP I would have gone over the edge a few times

I admit openly on this forum, not as a mod, but as a daughter, that at times I have to take to the bunkers, but I have my own home, my own front door and I can chose not to answer the phone and call my siblings, not that they do anything but say I am buttoning down the hatches and its over to them. How people cope on their own with no respite, no bolt hole to go to, is something I can only admire, respect and say that they have to take care of themselves first, because if they crack, then who does the caring?

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
How did your call to the local Carers group go this morning, Dave? Thinking of you and sending loving thoughts. X Shelagh:)

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Ah yes, that is something I forgot. You can use Age Concern from age 50 I think. Our local branch has a thing called a Dementia Advisor who was very helpful. Also, google 'admiral nurse' in your area. They deal with relatives of dementia patients and that was my first port of call, I was lucky there was one nearby, who I went and cried all over on a couple of occasions.:D she was very good at directing me to useful organizations, and in fact it was her who told me to get a carer assessment done with SS.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
Ah yes, that is something I forgot. You can use Age Concern from age 50 I think. Our local branch has a thing called a Dementia Advisor who was very helpful. Also, google 'admiral nurse' in your area. They deal with relatives of dementia patients and that was my first port of call, I was lucky there was one nearby, who I went and cried all over on a couple of occasions.:D she was very good at directing me to useful organizations, and in fact it was her who told me to get a carer assessment done with SS.

Did I mention carer assessments before?:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.