Tonight I actually snapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
How did your call to the local Carers group go this morning, Dave? Thinking of you and sending loving thoughts. X Shelagh:)

Ah yes, that is something I forgot. You can use Age Concern from age 50 I think. Our local branch has a thing called a Dementia Advisor who was very helpful. Also, google 'admiral nurse' in your area. They deal with relatives of dementia patients and that was my first port of call, I was lucky there was one nearby, who I went and cried all over on a couple of occasions.:D she was very good at directing me to useful organizations, and in fact it was her who told me to get a carer assessment done with SS.

Did I mention carer assessments before?:D:D:D

I made the call but the Senior community memory nurse was unavailable

Still waiting for a call-back

Thank you for all the other options but between memory nurses, SS, Admiral Nurses I am getting dizzy

Just thought that if I had the information that I need to do I could do it but I do not know who too, not too call as I do not want to take on any more than I have too, sounds a bit short-sighted but I don't want confuse myself in what I am doing

At the end of the day, wife, will not want any help but I am doing this for me and am getting all confused now :(

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I made the call but the Senior community memory nurse was unavailable

Still waiting for a call-back

Thank you for all the other options but between memory nurses, SS, Admiral Nurses I am getting dizzy

Just thought that if I had the information that I need to do I could do it but I do not know who too, not too call as I do not want to take on any more than I have too, sounds a bit short-sighted but I don't want confuse myself in what I am doing

At the end of the day, wife, will not want any help but I am doing this for me and am getting all confused now :(

Morning Dave

I'm not surprised you're feeling dizzzy but well done on making the call.

I think because your wife is already under care the memory nurse is the one who 'should' be the connecting link for you in getting other services. I put it in ' ' because with the changes in the NHS and social care this can be different from area to area and in the current climate is constantly changing - they don't make it easy do they;) .

I hope you get that call back soon and the ball can start rolling.

In my area things are very bad hence they pushed me to Age UK to fund my own HH and refused me a proper assessment because some days I could function! they may use excuses not to provide care which I hope you don't experience but stand your ground.
Best
Sue

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Dave

Just a suggestion - why don't you get one of your threads locked as things are duplicated and no wonder you're dizzy. You could ask a moderator.

Sue

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Hi Dave

Just a suggestion - why don't you get one of your threads locked as things are duplicated and no wonder you're dizzy. You could ask a moderator.

Sue

Good idea Sue - I'm a little dizzy myself! :D Could be me though.......

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
Morning Dave

I'm not surprised you're feeling dizzzy but well done on making the call.

I think because your wife is already under care the memory nurse is the one who 'should' be the connecting link for you in getting other services. I put it in ' ' because with the changes in the NHS and social care this can be different from area to area and in the current climate is constantly changing - they don't make it easy do they;) .

I hope you get that call back soon and the ball can start rolling.

In my area things are very bad hence they pushed me to Age UK to fund my own HH and refused me a proper assessment because some days I could function! they may use excuses not to provide care which I hope you don't experience but stand your ground.
Best
Sue

The problem I have is that OH goes out on buses to different town every day, sometimes multiple times in a day, I do not know what she gets up to or how other folk see here so would the powers to be think that care is not required

It's in the house where the problems are, morning, noon and night, she is doing things that no child would do once told not to do it, she is confused, does not cook, clean, personal hygiene has gone so has her clothes choice

She steps in dog poo everyday bring it into the house, yes I do check for puppy poo all the time, but if I miss one it is guaranteed to be brought in the house

Her language, reasoning, understanding, memory are non existent, she does not want help, threatens with divorce, moving out, the "F" word id her favourite along with 2 fingers (something she has never done before in her life)

Every day like clockwork she puts a pen through the calendar for that day, always has done but this does not happen any longer, no problem but just another thing that she has done for eternity but does not do any more, there are hundreds of minor things, it is constant.

She is aggressive, constantly asking questions, question, questions, guessing 200-300 or more every single day 7 days a week

I am now sleeping on the couch, fully clothed for the past 2 nights as I am really finding it hard being next to my wife (I shower once she gets up). I know I have covered all of this in various posts but as I am sat here thinking of what to say to anyone whom may call me from the memory team I thought I would list in my own head everything I am concerned about

She is horrible to the neighbours, never to their face though, only to me, delights when neighbour lost his job, then went in to hospital for an operation returning with his arm in a pot

She, does not, will not leave my side when she returns from her bus trips, constantly walks around, hands behind her back asking really infantile questions, will not take a no for any answer, can not sit down for more than 2 minutes in a different room if I am not there, constantly requests that I sit in the front room with her when I say no, I am working in the next room, running my online business sh yells that I hate her, should we get divorced etc. etc.

She is incapable to finding anything on the TV to watch, I have to press the buttons, this is a new one as only last week she could use the remote.

She gets bored after 2 minutes and is asking me all the time what should she do, hell, I am work in the day answering calls, replying to e-mail, checking site, stock changes, processing orders, dispatching them, taking payments, issuing refunds, looking after our dog, going for walkies twice a day, feeding him, bathing him, comforting him, playing with him, I can not do anymore than I am doing now

I am lucky if I get 2 or 3 hours sleep a night, wake up on the sofa fully dressed then it all starts again

There are many more hundreds of things I could mention but I think you all get the jist of things

I AM UNABLE TO COPE, I AM UNHAPPY, I AM EXHAUSTED (all of the time) and now I am waiting for a call that may or may not happen

Edit:

I forgot to mention the BEST part - My wife is like an angel if front of anyone else, it's just me she is horrible too.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Just tell all that to the Adult Social Services. In our area they have a First Response Team who will allocate you a Social Worker.
All the above has to go into a carer's assessment to get you the help you need for her.

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
Just tell all that to the Adult Social Services. In our area they have a First Response Team who will allocate you a Social Worker.
All the above has to go into a carer's assessment to get you the help you need for her.

Thank you

I could have gone on for another hour but I did not want to put all of you to sleep with my problems :(

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
The problem I have is that OH goes out on buses to different town every day, sometimes multiple times in a day, I do not know what she gets up to or how other folk see here so would the powers to be think that care is not required

It's in the house where the problems are, morning, noon and night, she is doing things that no child would do once told not to do it, she is confused, does not cook, clean, personal hygiene has gone so has her clothes choice

She steps in dog poo everyday bring it into the house, yes I do check for puppy poo all the time, but if I miss one it is guaranteed to be brought in the house

Her language, reasoning, understanding, memory are non existent, she does not want help, threatens with divorce, moving out, the "F" word id her favourite along with 2 fingers (something she has never done before in her life)

Every day like clockwork she puts a pen through the calendar for that day, always has done but this does not happen any longer, no problem but just another thing that she has done for eternity but does not do any more, there are hundreds of minor things, it is constant.

She is aggressive, constantly asking questions, question, questions, guessing 200-300 or more every single day 7 days a week

I am now sleeping on the couch, fully clothed for the past 2 nights as I am really finding it hard being next to my wife (I shower once she gets up). I know I have covered all of this in various posts but as I am sat here thinking of what to say to anyone whom may call me from the memory team I thought I would list in my own head everything I am concerned about

She is horrible to the neighbours, never to their face though, only to me, delights when neighbour lost his job, then went in to hospital for an operation returning with his arm in a pot

She, does not, will not leave my side when she returns from her bus trips, constantly walks around, hands behind her back asking really infantile questions, will not take a no for any answer, can not sit down for more than 2 minutes in a different room if I am not there, constantly requests that I sit in the front room with her when I say no, I am working in the next room, running my online business sh yells that I hate her, should we get divorced etc. etc.

She is incapable to finding anything on the TV to watch, I have to press the buttons, this is a new one as only last week she could use the remote.

She gets bored after 2 minutes and is asking me all the time what should she do, hell, I am work in the day answering calls, replying to e-mail, checking site, stock changes, processing orders, dispatching them, taking payments, issuing refunds, looking after our dog, going for walkies twice a day, feeding him, bathing him, comforting him, playing with him, I can not do anymore than I am doing now

I am lucky if I get 2 or 3 hours sleep a night, wake up on the sofa fully dressed then it all starts again

There are many more hundreds of things I could mention but I think you all get the jist of things

I AM UNABLE TO COPE, I AM UNHAPPY, I AM EXHAUSTED (all of the time) and now I am waiting for a call that may or may not happen

Edit:

I forgot to mention the BEST part - My wife is like an angel if front of anyone else, it's just me she is horrible too.

Well Dave you've just put it all down in a nutshell and that is what you should print and send to the memory nurse and adult care services, the only thing you have left out is how long this has been going on for. If you took this to your GP, in the state you are in (which I think you should and give him the name of your wife's psychiatrist) I think your wife needs admitting for proper assessment and care:eek::eek::eek::eek: I can see your reaction and hers but something will give otherwise. I didn't mean to be pessimistic about you getting a callback as I do hope you will very soon.
Rooting for you
Sue

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Well Dave you've just put it all down in a nutshell and that is what you should print and send to the memory nurse and adult care services, the only thing you have left out is how long this has been going on for. If you took this to your GP, in the state you are in (which I think you should and give him the name of your wife's psychiatrist) I think your wife needs admitting for proper assessment and care:eek::eek::eek::eek: I can see your reaction and hers but something will give otherwise. I didn't mean to be pessimistic about you getting a callback as I do hope you will very soon.
Rooting for you
Sue

I agree Sue :)

Dave, could you add anything else you need to the list, then either print it off and post, or email directly to the memory clinic, adult services and / or your GP? You really must get help, for your wife as well as yourself xx

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
Rooting for you
Sue

Cheers Sue

First noticed, probably, 6 years ago

Started getting worried (constant arguments not know what it was) 3 years ago

Told my wife she needed help (doctors) 2 years ago

Made my wife go to the doctors (with me in the dr's room) 6 Months ago

The last 6 months were really bad

The last 2 months have been unbearable

The last 2 weeks - I wished I was dead (plain and simple)

I notice something different each and every day, a new thing pops up and is then part of this awful torment I am suffering, but OH can not retain any message or instruction for more than 2 minutes. She goes to do the lottery down the road, 2 minute walk then either calls me to say what has she gone for or comes back with a packet of biscuits

Edit:

Writing it down on a piece of paper, tried that, she forgets she has a list to look at :(

Lindy50

Dec 11, 2013
Cotswolds
Have you spoken to anyone yet Dave? Did they call back?

Please try not to lose momentum ( easily said, I know :eek:)

Lindy xx

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
I'm afraid not

Wife's back now so if they do it maybe a tadge awkward

Thanks for asking

Sent from my XT1032 using Talking Point mobile app

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)

Hi Beate

Thanks for these links, I tried finding something similar on the Barnsley site but got too confused

Unfortunately, I have a Rotherham Postcode, but come under Barnsley for NHS, SS etc. and to top it all the bin men are from Doncaster

I live slap bang in the center of all three major towns

What a mess my life is in :(

I will try and look again on Barnsley site to see if I can find similar links

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
Well done for getting started.

Keep it going. Can you phone on your mobile whilst you walk the dog? You may have to keep phoning and then be lucky and get put straight through

Lady Phoenix

Account Closed
Feb 8, 2014
Various
Ill make a confession. I snapped this morning and Im a so called "professional"

It went like this

ME - Would you like some breakfast
SU- Yes Please
ME - What would you like?
SU- Yes Id like breakfast
ME - (Getting fruit loaf out of cupboard) Would you like fruit loaf? (She has fruit loaf every morning but I like to make out its her deciding)
SU- O yes, I like that
ME - How many slices would you like?
SU - Yes, Id like some of that
SU - Yes please, can you make that
ME - 1 slice or 2?
SU - Have we fed the birds yet?
ME - (Shouting) WOULD YOU LIKE 1 SLICE OR 2?
she then looks at me, then shouts back Slowly, but very sarcastically
SU - I WOULD LIKE 1 SLICE

We then both laugh at each other.

In this instance it all boiled over nicely but the bottom line it I snapped and shouldnt have.

Happens to us all.

Dave K

Account Closed
Apr 14, 2014
Barnsley (UK)
Ill make a confession. I snapped this morning and Im a so called "professional"

It went like this

ME - Would you like some breakfast
SU- Yes Please
ME - What would you like?
SU- Yes Id like breakfast
ME - (Getting fruit loaf out of cupboard) Would you like fruit loaf? (She has fruit loaf every morning but I like to make out its her deciding)
SU- O yes, I like that
SU - Yes, Id like some of that
SU - Yes please, can you make that
ME - 1 slice or 2?
SU - Have we fed the birds yet?
ME - (Shouting) WOULD YOU LIKE 1 SLICE OR 2?
she then looks at me, then shouts back Slowly, but very sarcastically
SU - I WOULD LIKE 1 SLICE

We then both laugh at each other.

In this instance it all boiled over nicely but the bottom line it I snapped and shouldnt have.

Happens to us all.

Yep, happens to all of us eventually

A typical scenario I go through many times of the day

Wife: Want a cuppa
Me: Yes please
Wife: Tea or Coffee
Me: Tea please (thought a cuppa was tea anyway)
Wife: Are you sure:
Me: yes I am
Wife: Would you not prefer coffee
Me: No thanks, Tea is fine
Wife: but I am making coffee
Me: but you don't drink coffee
Wife: I will make you one if you want coffee
Me: OK, I will have a coffee then
Wife: But I thought you wanted tea
Me: I did too
Wife: You choose, Tea or Coffee
Me: Surprise me
Wife, COME ON, WHAT DO YOU WANT?
Me: I'll have a beer
Wife: But it is only 5pm
Me: I will have a cup of Tea please then
Wife: OK
Me: better put the kettle back on as it must be cold by now
Wife: who is?
Me: Leave it, I will do it
Wife: No it's OK I will make you a nice cup of tea
Me: Thank you (Phew)

2 mins later

Me: Thank you but you have made coffee
Wife: what did you say you wanted?
Me: Tea or coffee, I do not really mind

1 minute later

Wife: Do you want something to eat with that?
Me: No thanks - (I gave up, too many options on this one) besides wife has not cooked or made me a sandwich in 12 months or more

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.