So bizarre !

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
When I was young, last year, or a few years ago.....

I only had four outfits to wear. One on, one in the wash, one in the cupboard and one for best

No way could I not put my washing out

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
When I was young, last year, or a few years ago.....

I only had four outfits to wear. One on, one in the wash, one in the cupboard and one for best

No way could I not put my washing out

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

D'you know, 2jays I was thinking recently that I seem to have a lot more clothes than when I was younger. Even when a young working mum. I think even in the 1980s, people just didn't have so many changes of clothes.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
Ann,you can't go on like this,something has to give.Make it the laundry,let hospital do it.You naturally want to maintain the standards you had at home but things are different now,you have a job for goodness sake and quite a demanding one at that.And you are still the one going the phoning,is there any reason your husband can't do it?I know he's working but so are you.I know he's not been well but neither have you.And please don't be too grateful for help with housework,you're not the only person who lives in your home do it's not all your responsibility.Far be it from me to tell you how to run your life but I feel exhausted just reading about it.And just to add to the stress the home start playing silly b.....s.On a lighter note,a classic from my husband 'I've done that ironing FOR YOU'Said ironing consisted of seven men's shirts!!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Hello all,

Spent half an hour typing out a post and the whole darn site crashed, and lost it all :(

notsogooddtr, OH works up to 5 night shifts a week, and has to sleep, so is often in bed during the office hours that most organisations keep, meaning it makes more sense for me to handle phone calls and the like. I've had the 'I've done the ironing for you' type comment in the past, but to be fair, this last week or so, he really has tried to take his share of the chores, and as he tends to be up until the wee small hours, even when not working, he has been getting stuck into a lot of jobs. As for the hospital doing the laundry - the machine on the ward that is used to wash patients clothes seems to be broken an awful lot of the time - hence us often seeing patients either dressed in hospital issue pj's or ill fitting 'spares' during the day. Mil sometimes seems oblivious to this - but at other times, she has commented on what a 'sight' other patients look when she see's them dressed like that. There is no guarantee as to how she will react if she ended up having to wear these pj's or 'spares' - she might be OK, or she might be really distressed by it. She has enough 'distress' to cope with, with the dementia - Iguess by doing her washing, I'm just trying to spare her any avoidable extra misery :(

Katrine, our Mum's seem similar! Growing up, from aged 9, it was with my two sisters, Mum, step dad number 1, and my younger half sister and brother. Mum referred to us kids as 'those 3 and my two' - which gives you some idea of her priority and attitude. Like you, we (3 older girls) were expected to take on a lot of chores from an early age - and once I got a part time job at 14 (earning £13 a week), I was also expected to hand over £4 a week for keep, and put 2 x 50p in the electricity a week, to cover hot water for my baths and electricity for washing my clothes! From that point, I was also told that I would now have buy all my own clothes (including school uniform) and toiletries. Even my youngest half sister is still disgusted and affected by how Mum treated us - she said, a few months back, that its been pretty much instinctive when its come to dealing with her own kids and different situations, to think 'What would Mum have done?' - and then do the opposite! And I've done the same - which may well have meant that at times, I've not been as strict about my kids doing their share, as I should have been.

Yep - I generally had my uniform, a couple of casual outfits, and a 'going out' outfit, 2jays and LadyA - which was fine till I got to about 14/15 and started to realise that a lot of friends at youth club (for example) had several changes of clothes, and it made me very self concious about wearing the same outfit everytime I went out (I seem to remember that for a long time, my 'going out' outfit, was a fluffy bat wing white jumper and a pair of very tight black cords :eek: ). I've always tended to randonly buy odd items for my kids as I've seen them when shopping - a pack of socks here, a t shirt or two there, or a pair of jeans. They most definitely have way more clothes than I had through a lot of my early teen years!

I love the idea of a 'winebulance' - its a business that would defintiely be well used by us carer's :D :D :D

Amy, not worried that OH would 'shoot the messenger' as such - its just that I realised, once we thought we had found somewhere suitable for Mil, just how much he had been worrying about the whole thing. A load really did lift for him when he thought we had it all in hand for her - I was more worried about it stressing him out, to be honest. He was livid when I told him - like myself, he is in no doubt that we actually didn't 'misunderstand' anything (I was glad to get his confirmation on that, because I had wondered if I had misheard what was said to us) - after we had spoken to the manager, and been shown round, and having read the inspection reports and reviews before going there, we very definitely said to her that we would like the vacant room for Mil. Her response was 'Right - so you would like me to go an assess her?' - we confirmed this, and filled in some paperwork, giving her contact info and info on Mil. At no point did she say that there was a chance that someone else would be given the room - she just said that the assessment would have to be done first. That's it. Both OH and I thought that it was a done deal, as long as the assessment went OK. We wre evidently wrong - and whether this is common practice (care home version of gazumping?) or as a result of a mistake on their part, we just don't know. I phoned the hospital social work team, finally have the name of Mil's Social Worker and left a message for her to contact me - wouldn't you know it, she rang whilst I was upstairs, putting away clean towels, and by the time I realised there was a message left, she had apparently gone home! I'll ring again this morning.

JM - the home had told us that they don't operate a waiting list 'as such' - its a case of ringing up regualrly to see if there are vacancies. And yep - having the rug pulled is a very apt description.

Grace, sorry - I missed you out yesterday! Hoping you have been able to catch up with your sleep, hun and don't feel so stressed about Mil now xxx

Slugsta, glad you're enjoying your 'Home alone' time :D

IT stuff slowly but surely getting sorted - whooo hooo - can now access my emails on my work phone and the laptop! Hoping to get some other issues sorted today, as I'm meeting my line manager for my 'one to one', at the nearest IT support place, so should be able to get everything done that I need to on the admin front tomorrow. Got a lot of questions and queries lined up for her - so much info floating round in my head that I suspect that I've well mixed up several facts and processes, and need to straighten them all out before a make a mistake (or several) along the way, lol!

The cold is still lingering, though throat isn't so sore, thankfully. This morning its a combination of getting on top of emails (when I was finally able to log in, I found over 60 that I have to deal with, waiting for me!), getting Mils washing finished, dealing with SW and trying (yet again) to complete to mound of paperwork needed to be done to progress the situtation with the school. This afternoon, the one to one, and I have no idea what time I'll be home as I have no idea how long it will take to sort the techy stufff. OH is trying to work out how to try and sort his sleep today - he's just finished a night shift, off tonight, back in tomorrow night - but been told he also has to attend compulsary training during the day tomorrow - he isn't quite sure how he is supposed to go into work tomorrow night, having been on a course for a large part of the day - and stay awake!

I'm going to talk to my boss about booking a weeks holidays at the beginning of next month - the idea being that I can (hopefully) get a lot of stuff sorted at home (including the office space, which neither OH nor I have found time to even start to tackle) and perhaps even just take a couple of days break.

Hope you guys all have a good day xxxx

RedLou

Jul 30, 2014
Gosh, just catching up. Ann, easier said than done, but try not to get upset: actually MiL is safe and fed and being monitored and may very well be no more settled in a home than in the ward.
JM -been following news on your daughter -- fingers crossed.
Hugs to all.

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011
I'm sorry if I offended you Ann but I sense a rising panic in your posts which I can relate to.The only thing I'll add is this:who would do all these things if you weren't there?It's a kindness to prepare our families to function without us,none of us are indispensable.As it is without you the whole pack of cards comes tumbling down.Anyway,take care,book that holiday,do stuff for you.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Ann, I think once you get the mechanics of the IT stuff sorted, it will be a relief, or at least I hope so. Ditto clearing out the spare room and transforming it into an office. I try very hard not to clutter my house up with "stuff," but I swear it breeds or materializes when I'm not looking.

Also of course you battling a cold and your OH's shift times, aren't making things easier. I think your schedules will settle down after a bit but this is still all pretty new, and of course you have the worries about MIL as well.

Slugsta, fair point on teens' frontal lobes. I did know that, although likely wasn't remembering it when I typed. I think I just read an article somewhere that explained that one of the reasons teens are more likely to be attracted to risky behaviour, is the way in which their brain develops. I do think it's interesting to understand what is going on neurologically, but it might not make Ann feel better about the washing when her daughter throws a hissy fit (that's an American version of a strop, I think). It involves much eye rolling and utterances of "Muuuuuuuum, it's not FAIR" and perhaps some flouncing, yes?

I definitely didn't have a huge wardrobe either, back in the lost 1980s of my youth, now that you mention it. This makes me think I could stand to weed more stuff out of my closet. I'll put it on the list!

I did some calculating and am fairly sure I had a laundry epiphany somewhere around age 10 or 11. I can clearly remember an instance of not having clean clothes and deciding it would be better if I just washed them myself, so I did. My mother was often ill, or otherwise unavailable, and wasn't interested in housekeeping at the best of times (understatement). Katrine and Ann, perhaps our mothers all went to the same course on martyrdom? My mother was very, very good at that, not without some just cause to be fair, but very tiresome.

Ann, I in NO WAY am making fun of your stories of you paying for your keep as a teenager, but the idea of charging for hot water would cut down considerably on the very long, very hot showers some of my nephews take! Should I ever be trapped in a house with all my in-laws again, I'll consider it. Again, I do not mean to make fun at your expense, nor am I suggesting you start billing your daughter for room and board, I promise. (My mother didn't charge me, but she did snitch my babysitting money sometimes. Fairly soon I wised up and got a bank account instead of keeping it in my sock drawer!)

I don't have brilliant advice about the placement for your MIL, just hope you can get through to the social worker and the care home and get things moving.

Spamar, stay warm! We've had cooler weather here, too, although it promises to be a nice afternoon today.

I have some good news: I finally heard from the manager of the care home and the monthly fees for the memory care unit my mother has moved to, are not going to break the bank, at least initially (I know there will be increases as her care needs increase). In fact, due to some weird pricing scheme, the bills will be a little less to begin with. This is a huge relief. I won't get into the details of how funding works in the States (unless you're interested, which I can't imagine), but she is paying for her own care and of course I want her money to last as long as possible. And also of course, none of know how long she will need care. So that was a relief as I was expecting a BIG increase.

RedLou, how are you? It's always nice to see you here.

JM, hope your daughter is doing okay, and the rest of the family.

Grace, please look after that knee.

Ann, I am heeding your story and have been periodically saving my posts now, as I type them!

Best wishes to you all.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Afternoon all,

Amy, I'm very glad that your mum's care is not going to cost as much as you feared. It is such a worry for many people.

You are right in saying that a 'hissy fit' is the same as a 'strop'. I think we see so much US TV that much of the language is familiar to us :) My son was horrible for some years and I really despaired at times - it came as a great shock as he had been such a good child! He is now a lovely man, so there is hope for everyone.

Ann, I hope that the 1:2:1 went well. I do hope that getting your study helps you feel more in control. I suspect it will help when 'work' has a definite place in your home and doesn't spill over to other areas.

It's utterly ridiculous that your OH should be expected to attend training during the day and then work at night. When hubby was a cabby, they had to take a certain number of hours clear between shifts. You would think it was at least as important when caring for vulnerable people! :( Has he actually spoken to anyone about this?

I do agree that MIL could be as content in the unit as she would be in a CH. However, I also understand how upsetting this whole business must be for you - especially when you have so much else on your plate at the moment. I really hope that you are able to get things sorted soon - for everyone's sake!

The warden where Mum lives collared me on the way in this morning. She said that Mum returned home from DC yesterday preceded by a strong aroma of stale urine and wonders whether she might be better in the specific 'dementia' DC. I phoned to speak to Dc and was told that they are happy to have her there - but they will make a note that Mum should be taken to the loo 'at the end of the day'! I pointed out that every 30 minutes might be more appropriate but she just laughed - the manager was in a meeting today but is going to ring me tomorrow, so I will make the same request to her.

I forgot to say that Mum's flat reeked when I went in on Monday - then I found a note from the carer to say that she had found 4 used (wet) pads hidden around the place. That would explain it then! I remember Ann saying that MIL used to hide hers in different places - but thought this might be to hide the evidence, whereas Mum is not bothered about that. Whatever the reason, we will keep a look out in future. It was much more fragrant today - and so was Mum.

It has still been bright and dry but there is little warmth out of the sun and I am glad of the heating at either end of the day. Of course, my 2 black, furry 'hot water bottles' also help - although the weight on my legs doesn't do me much good.

Sending best wishes to you all.

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Slugsta, you are undoubtedly correct that so much American television has crossed the Atlantic, especially recently, that a lot of American English slang would be understandable. I will make a blanket apology for any of the rubbish television we have foisted on you, though. It's often disheartening to think that the US' main exports have been fast food, reality television, and embarrassing politicians!

Certainly day care should be prompting your mum to go to the toilet, or at least, I should think so. I'm not quite clear on what service the day care centres in the UK do, or do not, provide (and it quite likely may vary), but surely that's a pretty basic sort of thing?

I also don't know if the "hidden" pads and pants and soiled clothing are actually an attempt to cover up the evidence, or just being put somewhere out of the way, or even mistakenly being put "in the bin" or "in the laundry." I found soiled pants wrapped in bin bags, tucked away at the bottom of my mother's wardrobe, when we cleared out her old room. I also found soiled pants in her shower the other day, soaking wet, so she had perhaps made some attempt to clean them or rinse them? It's so hard to know. That pong of urine is never welcome. Perhaps you will come to identify places she usually stashes them, and the carers can routinely check? Bottom of the wardrobe, top of the wardrobe, down the back of furniture and radiators, are all places I can recall people mentioning.

I was watching a Teepa Snow video on You Tube, a recording of a lecture she'd given, and she mentioned that PWDs often lose their sense of smell for certain odors. Hang on, let me find my notes. She listed: smoke, chemical smells (such as bleach or cleaning agents or what they put in natural gas to give it a scent), spoiled food, body odor, urine, and feces, as all being odors that PWD could no longer identify. Obviously this goes a long way to explaining a whole lot of behaviours!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning everyone :)

I'm sorry if I offended you Ann but I sense a rising panic in your posts which I can relate to.The only thing I'll add is this:who would do all these things if you weren't there?It's a kindness to prepare our families to function without us,none of us are indispensable.As it is without you the whole pack of cards comes tumbling down.Anyway,take care,book that holiday,do stuff for you.

You absolutely did not say anything to offend me, Hun - I so appreciate all the different points of view, the support and the advice that the lovely folk on here give me x

Amy, I am so, so pleased that the financial side of things is not going to be as bad as you had feared - such a relief for you, I'm sure. We got a bit of a 'hissy fit' (we use that term too, as well as 'strop' :D ) from youngest last night - she came in from swim coaching with a casual 'Mum, can you make sure that my costume and kit are washed and dried for tomorrow' and it was more of an instruction, rather than a request! OH jumped in and asked why she couldn't put the things in the machine herself, pointing out that I'd worked all day and was now in the middle of cooking her tea? The 'Oh for God's sake' and the eye rolls and sighs he got in return prompted him pulling her pretty sharply and she was really cheeky in her response :mad: Both OH and I gave her such a dressing down - which did prompt an apology (albeit a half hearted, eye rollingly-delivered one, initially) and she did she to her own stuff. Not particularly happily - but she did it! And we did get a proper apology a little later.

The hiding pads and soiled undies/clothes was such a regular thing when Mil was here, Slugsta - and yes, I think she hid them in panic, to cover up the fact that she had had an accident, because she was embarressed. And then, of course, promptly forgot, and if she happened to be around when the items were found, she would be adamant that they were nothing to do with her. I agree it seems odd that your Mum would do this, when she is (thankfully, for her sake) not concerned or upset by her 'accidents' - but then, hiding all manner of things seems so common amongst pwd's anyway. All I could do was regularly check the hiding places that I discovered - though even then, I would fail to track down one every now and again. The info that Amy gives, about dementia causing pwd's to be unable to smell certain odours is interesting - Mil had, at one time, a dreadful habit of putting urine wet clothes onto her bedroom radiator, either just rinisng them under the bathroom tap (which was pretty inadequate) or sometimes not even attempting to do that. If I didn't spot them there, went out and came back later, after the heating had come on, the smell as you walked into the house could knock you sideways - and it always struck me as unbelievable that Mil would be completely oblivious to it.

Where day care and prompting your Mum to go to the loo is concerned, I think it depends on the type of service that the DC is designed for, the number of staff and what they are told they are allowed to do. Its insurance, its costs and sometimes its down to carers/support staff being bloody minded - so many have seen wages cut and working conditions worsen, that a lot now stick rigidly to only what they are required to do in their job description. It may be that your Mum's DC has no provision to cover anything to do with continence, which technically would include prompting, and that the manager is sticking rigidly to that, even though its such a simple and as Amy says, such a basic thing :(

OH has managed to get todays training changed - he pointed out that legislation sayd he must have 11 hours clear between shifts (training counts as a shift) and that they would be breaking the law. Cynical me wasn't surprised that once they realised that he knew the law, they were suddenly very accomodating about changing thetraining dates!

Hiya Red - nice to see you, hun.

Yesterday was good re work - the 1-2-1 went well, my boss is really pleased with what I'm doing, I'm ahead on most targets and in the area's where I am not ahead, its purely down to the IT issues, which are down to the IT department, not me - and that has been clearly noted. One heck of an ego boost - I'd never thought to ask, but in conversation with someone else, my boss revealed that there had been 46 applications for my job when it was advertised! She added that I was the first person that they interviewed, and they had definitely picked the right person for the role - which made me feel 10 feet tall - such a lovely thing for her to say, and a big confidence boost!

On the not so good side, re Mil, I managed to speak to the Social worker yesterday morning, before I had to leave for my meetings. She wanted to know why we were even looking for a home for Mil, when there hasn't been a discharge meeting? I told her that there had been - she said, no - not one that met procedure and policy, because a social worker has to be present in order for it to be recognised as a discharge meeting, and that until that happenes, until she meets Mil and can judge whether or not she has 'capacity', until a best interests meeting is held, until a DST (funding meeting) is held and a meeting to determined if Mil is to be fully funded under the 117 or if she qualifies for CHC as well, then Mil cannot be discharged, whether we have found a home for her or not. Although she has been allocated Mil as her client, she had received absolutely no information from the ward - she had no idea that any meetings had been held, let alone (she said) a discharge meeting that did not met the necessary requirements. She sounded quite officious at first, but as I started asking questions, then explaining all that had happened so far (including the struggle to get Mil admitted, the meds farce due to all the locums, the attempted early discharge after I'd had that awful injection, the changes of diagnosis and the lack of info) her attitude changed. She was, she said, appalled at what we and Mil had been through, from me being left to supervise and oversee all the medication changes for so long, through to the hospital totally messing up the discharge procedure. She explained that because Mil has over the £23K threshold, that a CHC meeting must be held, although whether or not Mil is awarded it will only affect the cost of her care as in where the funding actually comes from - if she gets CHC, any additional costs would be covered by 117, if she doesn't, 117 will cover it all. She needs to do a capacity test in order to meet the criteria of a best interests meeting, which must be held when discharge is being planned. She also asked a lot of questions about Mil, and grew (it seemed) more sympathetic as I answered. She said she intended to get things sorted as quickly as she could, and apologised at the set back. She's arranged to hold pretty much all the meetings consecutivly, on Monday - she again apologised, and warned me I was in for a long day, as either OH or I should be there for all of it - it'll just be me. OH isn't working on Monday night, but has a compulsary meeting and training to attend at work during the day - and nope, he can't get the time off at such short notice. Either way, although she says we can continue looking at homes, it is going to delay Mil's discharge.

Reeling from that, I left early for the meeting so I could pick up a repeat prescription from OH at the chemist. The script hadn't been done, despite the request going in last week. Into the surgery, to be met by a new and very snotty receptionist, who informed me that OH couldn't have any more scripts till he attended a medication review. I asked why we hadn't been told, as he now only had a couple of days of his meds left? She informed that they had 6,000 patients and simply didn't have the time to contact them in instances like this. I explained he was working nights and asked what he was supposed top do to get his meds in time? She shrugged. I asked if she could tell me who our new GP was? We don't have one - the surgery is now to be fully staffed by locums! I asked could he have just a weeks prescription, to last until he was able to make an appointment for this review? She said she would ask the GP - but couldn't guarantee it, and that I would have to phone the next morning to see if it had been done. I honestly don't know how the hell I held onto my temper - unhelpful and so clear that this new 'service' is going to fall so short in comparison to what we used to have. I went outside, had to ring and disturb OH, who was sleeping and leave it to him to try and sort out - I had to go to work:(

Got home from the meeting to find a message on the answer phone, to ring the hospital. It never rains but it pours. Mil has been transferred to medical with what seems to be another bad chest infection. Both OH and I are still full of a cold, we can't visit - the hospital are understandably firm on that - and we are at this point still waiting to hear which ward she has been admitted too. Worried sick, and not able to go to her - its horrible :( Once I find out where she is, I'm going to go and sort out a ruck of new nightwear for her - it seems that 2 pairs of pjs have gone for good, and only 4 nighties can be accounted for - then lable the new stuff and get it to the hospital, so at least I know she has enough whilst she is poorly, even if I can't get to see her whilst I'm still full of this lurgy. I'm going to buy and pack another bag with toiletries for her too - last time she was on medical, her toiletry bag never made it over with her, though I didn't find that out till just before she was transferred back to the EMH ward - I don't want to risk leaving her without essentials again. I'll have to work on the IT stuff this afternoon, and tomorrow morning, so I get my hours in, and can at least print off the paperwork I need for the next week and sort emails. Thank goodness that I do have a certain amount of flexibility with this job! I've yet to find out if Mil being ill is going to delay the meetings (I can't see why it would, but lets be fair - you just never know, do you?) and its so frustrating, not to mention worrying, when we can't get to her when she is poorly like this :(

I'll update when I know more about Mil and i get chance - meanwhile, apologies if I've missed anyone out, and I hope you all manage to have a good day xxxx

Amy in the US

Feb 28, 2015
USA
Oh, Ann, I am so sorry to hear MIL is poorly with another chest infection. How very distressing and worrying for you. I understand why you can't visit but also understand how worrying it is, when you can't see someone for yourself, or know which ward she's on.

I don't even know what to say about the latest update about a discharge meeting. I know I shouldn't be surprised by this sort of thing by now, but I always am. You cannot seem to get a break and I'm so sorry.

Idiocy of surgery's new receptionist duly noted, with scorn. I have worked for physicians and if a patient requests a refill of a medication, and it cannot be refilled for whatever reason, the patient is notified. If the medication is needed by the patient, and they need to be seen for a medication review, and have an appointment on the books, a temporary prescription is given to get the patient through until their appointment. So someone, or several someones there, is/are not doing their job. I know you must miss your lovely former GP even more right now!

Well done Ann and Mister Mac for holding firm with a united front with youngest, to make her put her own washing in the machine, and well done Miss Mac, for apologising to your parents for being an histrionic teenager (don't worry, you'll grow out of it).

Ann, I have no idea if what Teepa Snow said about PWDs not being able to smell things (or register the information, or process it, or whatever) is accurate, but I have to say it makes an awful lot of sense. It would explain many stories I've heard here on TP and in my support group, about a PWD not smelling smoke from something burning in the kitchen and especially not recognizing body odor, urine, and faeces smells. In fact, it makes so much sense, I'm inclined to run with that theory. If I can find a timestamp and the clip I was watching, I will let you know.

And to end on a positive note, I am glad your work meeting went so well yesterday. It's great that the job is going well, IT problems aside. I will say that I am not surprised to hear they chose you for the job, because, as all of us know, you're well qualified. Everyone all together now: Ann's number one! Ann's number one! ;)

I hope your day gets better, and when you get a chance and know more about MIL's condition and feel up to it, please give us an update. Sending a big squashy ((hug)) your way.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Ann, it really is one thing after another for you, isn't it?! :( I'm so sorry that MIL is poorly again, especially when you cannot visit her to reassure yourself about her condition.

So glad that you are getting positive feedback from your new employers. We knew you would be perfect for this job, it's great to know that they know it too :)

The GP surgery sounds out of order - I worked in Primary Care for more than 30 years, I know how hard it can be and also that you don't leave a patient without essential medication! If you use the same pharmacy regularly, they can often help out with an emergency supply (or they could, I know that things change quickly). Of course, this is just one more thing for you to sort out, on top of everything else :mad:

Amy the thing about PWD losing the sense of smell is interesting. They lose so much else, why should smell be an exception?

I'm pretty sure that one place Mum 'hides' her pads is in her laundry box. Which makes perfect sense- after all, that's where dirty washing goes. It's just a pity that she doesn't seem to put anything else in there! Clothes get taken off, something different put on the next day (sometimes) but the clothes just get 'recycled', they don't actually get put out to wash :rolleyes: Periodically, I go through all the piles of clothing and take home everything that looks (or smells) as if it might have been warn. Fortunately, she has plenty of clothes so doing this doesn't leave her short.

The DC manager didn't ring today, so I have made no progress there. I don't know how many staff/clients they have, nor what they are allowed to do - but reminding someone to visit the loo periodically shouldn't be beyond their remit, surely? Especially as they are telling me that they are perfectly happy to keep her there, rather than moving her to the dementia facility!

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Morning all,

Amy and Slugsta, I was really surprised by the atttitude at the GP's - fine, medication reviews are necessary and I get that. But not notifying patients that a review is due, and potentially leaving them with meds is surely not on? OH managed to get an emergency appointment, meaning his sleep was broken but at least he got the meds. What I really don't like though, is this business of no one having a named GP and the surgery being staffed by locums - is this really the way it is now? I never was one for trotting to the GP's at the drop of a hat, but now I'm even more reluctant to go there. After the experience of having to deal with an ever changing parade of locum psychiatrists with Mil, and all the mistakes and messing around that caused, dealing with, potentially, a different GP every time you need to see a doctor is definitely not something that I am happy about :(

When we went to start sorting Mil's house, Slugsta, we also found that she had piled clothes everywhere upstairs - on the beds in all 3 bedrooms, on top of cupboards and dressers, chairs and even a lot draped over the top of wardrobe doors. And, as you describe, they appeared to be a mix of clean clothes and dirty clothes, with even some new clothes & clothes she had obviously bought from charity shops (but not worn - labels still in place), mixed in. A lot of stuff I admit, I binned - some stuff was so soiled it was the only option, and I also found that things that she had bought were in an assortment of sizes, many that wouldn't have fit her and some things that were, quite frankly, items that she couldn't actually wear without looking ridiculous - a second hand parka-style jacket, complete with numerous sewn on patches featuring Union Jacks and mopeds, for example - and even a pack of 3 crop tops! There must have been at least 10 bin bags of clothes that we got rid of in the end!

If Mil had used the laundry basket for the soiled/wet pull ups (and sometimes clothes), it would have been better - and would have made sense, as you say, Slugsta. But I would find them wrapped in towels or carrier bags in drawers or the bottom of her wardrobe, actually shoved behind her chest of drawers or wardrobe, chucked under the bed, down the side of the bed, under the mattress, under her bedside chair seat cushion, shoved behind the radiator and before pull ups, wet knickers would even be hidden in the pockets of her dressing gown or clothes hanging up in her wardrobe. Playing 'hunt the source of the smell' didn't rate amongst my favourite past times, that's for sure!

After a few phone calls yesterday morning, I tracked Mil down to the 'acute cardiac unit ' - which was a bit of a shock until the person I was speaking to explained it was often used as an 'overspill' ward for the Medical Assessment Unit, where she should have been. I was told it was a 'slight chest infection' and she was on antibiotics, that she was able to 'mobilise' with her frame, so (so far) it doesn't sound like she is as poorly as she was last time she had to be transferred to medical. I explained that I was full of a cold, as was OH (though thankfully, he seemed a lot better yesterday - me, I'm still with a sore-throat and cough) and they agreed that I shouldn't visit, but also agreed that it would be good if I could fetch in more nightwear and toiletries. So, I went out and bought 4 pairs of suitable PJ's and two nighties (both in the same design and colour, as it was the only suitable nightie I could find - didn't have the time to go to more than 2 shops!). I added 4 new bra's to the mix and bought a new large toiletry bag which I filled with the essentials - it was quite an expensive shopping trip!. I brought everything home, used a landry marker on all the clothes (put her name on both the PJ tops and bottoms) and on the toiletries, and I photographed all the new nightwear before I took it in to the hospital, along with 2 of her other nighties that I'd previously collected from the EMH ward and already washed. back out to the hospital, half an hour driving round and round the car parks to find parking - :rolleyes: - and off to the ward. I stopped at the reception desk, explained why I couldn't visit Mil, and handed over the stuff I'd brought in - when Mil emerged from on of the small wards. She looked flushed, but otherwise not bad and bless her, her eyes lit up when she saw me. I called across and explained, and she was OK about it, thankfully - but I was really cross to see she was wearing what looked to be like a mans', very shabby, old grey dressing gown :( I've always left two gowns at the hospital for her, and in fact, had put a newly washed one in with the night clothes I'd brought in. A nurse from EMH was with her, and I have to admit, I made a point of saying that the dressing gown wasn't Mils (actually, not sure from the glimpse I got if the nighty underneath was her's either!) and that I'd brought another 'decent' one in for her. I know Mil didn't seem bothered, at that particular point, but its something that maddens me - its not like she should be short of her own clothes - ill or not, I collect and drop off washing 3 times a week on average and she has (or should have) lots there. There just isn't the need for her to be dressed in spares and cast offs. Its undignified, as well as being unnecessary :(

Back home, and I got stuck into sorting the techy stuff - 1 issue solved after a phone call to head office, the way to sort 2 other issues discovered (just a case of waiting now), managed to set up the requisite accounts with various departments (marketing and commercial), then onto setting up the printer (desperately needed at the moment!), only to discover that the wireless connection didn't work - which I'd been warned often happens - so now another wait for the approved cables to be delivered (has to be the approved stuff, can't just connect a cable as the security on laptop won't allow it - I'll sort ordering them with another call to head office this morning, as the chap I needed to speak to was in a meeting yesterday afternoon). As I was stuck with sorting the printer, I then went out again, to get the stationary I needed and then back home to order the office furniture. By 5pm, I was done for the day, sat down to wait for dau to get back from swim coaching so I could make the tea - and was woken up by her coming in at 7.30. Threw together a very quick tea - and was in bed by just after 10pm. Still feel rought his morning, intend to work till no later than 1pm (to cover my hours) and then, if I need too, I'm just going to sleep! the house looks like a bombs hit it, but I don't care - which just shows how ropey I'm feeling.

Grace, hope you are reting that knee, and that the rest of you have a good day xxxx

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
No time for a long post, Ann SW seems to know her stuff, just a pity you didn't get to speak to her before now, and hope that capacity test can be done whichever ward MIL is on.

Not seeing the same GP twice just doesn't make sense for long term conditions, as they get to know you and you them etc.

Major teenage strop on Tuesday morning here, just expecting us all to jump out of her way wherever she needed to be in kitchen to make sandwiches or breakfast. And a major rant from her about a teacher setting homework on Mon and due in on Tuesday, we pointed out she is in GCSE year and teachers will do this. She had already done it as well. OH tried to sell her in work but no takers.

CAtch up with the rest later I hope.

Good old family fallings out causing stress here yesterday as well. I do wonder whether we change as we get older and what bonded us to siblings no longer does and we just get awkward, not my side so I've told OH he can make decisions, but we are both p***ed off.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Re the GPs. Yes, its not good to have to see different GPs each time, but I just thought that Id mention that down on the south coast here whole GP surgeries are closing down because they cant even get locums to cover. Apparently, there are thousands of people without a registered GP now :mad:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Love your comment about OH trying to sell daughter but no takers. Workmates have obviously heard about her!!

Our GPS are allegedly over staffed for the population. Not one of them, there are 6 ( well, there were last time I looked) works full time. I try and stick to 2 for most queries. If they know you, it does save so much repetition!
Many years ago, my parents were ill ( different illnesses) at the same time, if it wasn't for a GP that knew them, one, at least, could have died. So you can understand why I don't like all these changes. We moved here in 2006 and have had 5 'regular' gps in that time! As for replacing gps, we also have a problem, here in a holiday area. I think Cornwall is the same.

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
Evening all,

Ann I understand why you are upset about MIl being in clothes that are not hers. Especially when you work so hard to see that she has plenty of clean, appropriate clothing :mad:

I do hope you managed to get that sleep, I think it is much needed (and deserved)!

Spamar, your comments about GPs are interesting. We are also a holiday area but are pretty much in crisis. Mum's surgery is mainly operating with locums and Nurse Practitioners with less than 1 hour per week between them of appointments that can be booked ahead :( Given the number of years it takes to train a GP, this is not going to get better for some time.

Mum's flat wasn't too fragrant today - but not awful either. I had a scout round and couldn't find anything that might be responsible. Both the fridge and freezer had been switched off at some stage - but there wasn't enough perishable food to worry. The contents of the fridge are a bit of yogurt (I threw the open pot away and we got some more today), some butter and assorted biscuits, choccy bars etc. Wiltshire Farm Foods were due to deliver later, so that was good timing!