Dear Diary!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I like this aspect of mum's personality albeit it's a little bit tiring haha - up/down/round and around/this way/that way... I'd be a bit worried if this side of her disappeared altogether however. Hmm and still no tips @jennifer1967!!!

I used to contribute years and years ago to various charities, now with supporting mum full-time I just don't have the money anymore. Throws me completely when they ask for so many pennies, not to mention (which is a biggie for me) having to share personal info but what really annoys me are cold-callers grrr 🤬, third party representatives acting for numerous orgs wanting you to set up a DD on doorstep!! No thank you 😠
i think your mum is boss and you will just have to follow her instructions

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Watching 'Bombay Railway'... 'Hill Railways' to follow next week as mum loves anything to do with India, China and Egypt also hold a deep fascination for her (ancient world especially) - can become totally immersed. Right proper student of history is my mum, when she was more independent/mobile we would literally do a tour of all our city's museums, that is every day seven days a week mind haha ;)

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Up four times with mum last night, unusually had to do two changes which is right out of character for her re. nighttime routine. A bit heavy legged and shaky today as a consequence, appetite is okay but not at same levels, hmm and very distracted too. Have administered PRN pain meds although I've observed L/knee swelling has reduced dramatically, the R/knee a little too - lot of rubbing of joints going on nonetheless.

Anyways I only got half my normal zedding time plus was up at 6.30am running numerous messages and same again midmorning... so housework can wait today, just going to focus on mum ;)

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Appetite back to max but remains shaky and distracted, all pain meds PRN and otherwise given; did not have her afternoon nap which has compounded things somewhat. Wish more could be done, seems R/ankle is more tender than usual as well by all indications. Roll on 9pm and opp to administer more Ibuprofen, fingers crossed 🤞 peeps.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Glad to report that mum is back to her usual self! Went to bed at an unusually early time of 9.10pm, now this would normally lead to massive massive problems for her nighttime routine but lo and behold it was a really good night :) Yes I had to support/assist mum on five personal visits during this period but I slept on top of her bed with a loose cover managing to catch an hour's sleep in-between each time we had to get up. Mum settles much more quickly if I do this plus I'm blessed with five separate dreams as a result haha ;) Anyways total turnaround, consequently happy days peeps!

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Well 4 x weetabix this morning and all six sandwiches at lunchtime just, lots of fruit juice & tea too. Yesterday was a bit hit and miss only picking up at teatime... fully stocked food-wise managing to pick up a big punnet of strawberries for under a quid which mum devoured quick smart! And rather than dicing her apples so she could spear them with a fork made apple fingers instead, these were much easier to manipulate as her RA has impacted both hand's functionality somewhat. Hmm - you have to be inventive as it's important to promote mum's continuing independence, easy to miss the obvious sometimes ;)

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Well 4 x weetabix this morning and all six sandwiches at lunchtime just, lots of fruit juice & tea too. Yesterday was a bit hit and miss only picking up at teatime... fully stocked food-wise managing to pick up a big punnet of strawberries for under a quid which mum devoured quick smart! And rather than dicing her apples so she could spear them with a fork made apple fingers instead, these were much easier to manipulate as her RA has impacted both hand's functionality somewhat. Hmm - you have to be inventive as it's important to promote mum's continuing independence, easy to miss the obvious sometimes ;)
What a star you are, @Eddcorner , and your mum too, of course.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
In bed early again but not too bad, mum shattered after a long day so unprepared to stretch it out tonight. Distracted late on with pain management issues which have probs contributed to same and taken a toll as day has worn on.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
In bed early again but not too bad, mum shattered after a long day so unprepared to stretch it out tonight. Distracted late on with pain management issues which have probs contributed to same and taken a toll as day has worn on.
pain is very tiring. is your mum more comfortable in bed?

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
pain is very tiring. is your mum more comfortable in bed?
She has an adjustable hospital bed (with mattress to protect pressure areas) which helps a little but the major plus is that she's not putting any stress on either her knees or ankles... a double bonus is as she lies on the right side mum's left shoulder and hip which present with RA too are also less likely to be impacted. More often than not she'll be asleep reasonably quickly so I'm assuming that any pain is minimised although we do have nights where there are exceptions to the rule.

Long answer eh? There are other cumulative factors but ultimately it's the wear and tear of the day as it progresses which can exacerbate mum's RA @jennifer1967.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
She has an adjustable hospital bed (with mattress to protect pressure areas) which helps a little but the major plus is that she's not putting any stress on either her knees or ankles... a double bonus is as she lies on the right side mum's left shoulder and hip which present with RA too are also less likely to be impacted. More often than not she'll be asleep reasonably quickly so I'm assuming that any pain is minimised although we do have nights where there are exceptions to the rule.

Long answer eh? There are other cumulative factors but ultimately it's the wear and tear of the day as it progresses which can exacerbate mum's RA @jennifer1967.
no i was interested if your mum was comfortable and how it affected her rest. as one that is in pain, its trying to find a comfortable position.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Well in contrast to the night before it was quite heavy in a negative sense for mum, having had her PRN codeine the day before it bunged 'the works' up somewhat. Now she's pretty regular is mum and goes every day, when she doesn't her body can present with involuntary twitching (pesky vagus nerve again). Fortunately the matter resolved itself this morning but not before a long, long night; consequently lied on top of bed with loose cover from 4.45am onwards which acted as a good way to settle mum down. Up later as a result (9.15am) but we both needed that extra time to recover. Anyways all is well today thankfully!

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
no i was interested if your mum was comfortable and how it affected her rest. as one that is in pain, its trying to find a comfortable position.
Oh apologies I misunderstood, she adopts an almost foetal position, yes quite comfortable! I also place a hot water bottle by her feet and knees as an aid to comfort.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Busy on Amazon getting stuff to distract/aid mum's RA. A new selection of squeeze balls for her hands to promote functionality & fine motor skills (only £6.99), Flexiseq Max Strength for ankles (£30) which really does work wonders and another gel that I've recently discovered to give relief for knees/(L) shoulder, a sort of instant soother... Other stuff too - mounts up pounds wise but so important in maintaining mum's independence & dignity in the short to medium term. Getting there peeps ;)

On the big plus side mum continues to be very sharp cognitively; the ability to process information remains high, chatty in the p.m. throughout and able to sound out occasional words whilst reading! Total star 🌟 this one despite all the obstacles placed in her way :)

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Well it looks like mum's midafternoon nap is not going to happen, totally overtired and fighting it... We were up at our usual time slot of 8.30/8.45am but it's just one of those things I guess ;) Might be the film we are finishing off from yesterday 'The Day After Tomorrow', really into it so my fault really for putting it back on!!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jayne Oswald