Dear Diary!

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
my husband wants me to pay for my funeral no

Targeted adverts at mum's age group re. programme content watched can be summed up in two categories - charities and life insurance. The former don't just ask for pennies anymore, looking for anything up to £35!!! The latter... well mum likes the chap's chatter for the Sunlife one, for me personally you can bury me in a cardboard box when I'm gone haha ;) All this preoccupation with death stuff can be quite depressing and amusing at the same time though; mum has faith (RC) - God, the afterlife and such but from my perspective as somebody with a background in the sciences (driven in part from the brain fog thingy as well) is hmm... no not really. Whatever works for you I suppose ;) and apologies it's not my intent to cause offence as I support mum 100% regarding her spiritual welfare, fingers crossed 🤞 she deserves some form of eternal reward (not for a long time yet I hope)!
The ones that cause most distress are of starving children with flies landing on their faces as P gets upset that no one knocks them of or wipes the childs nose. She misses the whole reason for the advert and just sees child cruelty.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
The ones that cause most distress are of starving children with flies landing on their faces as P gets upset that no one knocks them of or wipes the childs nose. She misses the whole reason for the advert and just sees child cruelty.
I'm one of life's cynics and knowing that these adverts are designed to generate a sympathetic response... Still heartbreaking, however I just don't like the way they target certain groups of viewers to generate money 🤔

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Must have been tired or something or other looking at my last posted reply, very repetitive and unable to edit! Frustrating for my brain with it's convoluted wire job, you can imagine the prep work needed for any submissions whilst studying at university... I won't even mention the problems I experienced with my dissertation haha 🤪 Hardwired perfectionist when it comes to the written word💥

Last edited:

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Hmm, well yesterday was quite interesting in the evening... Want to know more? I never lose my temper in a face-to-face with anyone but on Sunday I did just that with a visiting sibling; I'm all for keeping the peace, I'll even apologise even when I am not at fault, mostly because it's unfair to put mum in a situation where she sees that side of me. If I'm upset - well mum always has me as a stabilising influence, someone she can count on even in the most difficult of situations. Anyways the backhanded compliments, constantly being patronised in monotone, justification for their actions at a particular moment, a text praising my support on one hand but inferring at that same time I was to blame for other stuff relating to them... Haha well you get the gist!! After a blunt exchange I looked at the person in question and stated rather emphatically 'Stop talking!!' They stood up, said a swift goodbye to mum and as they left called me several colourful names followed by a not so quite diplomatic farewell ;) my response - that I was not prepared to roll over anymore. Now I felt terribly guilty afterwards and shortly thereafter I messaged person to say that I was prepared to put our current mutual dislike to one side so a visit (short or otherwise) could take place to which I received no reply. I always cave, always and I never ever lose my rag with anyone, I'm proud of that fact but this time? I mirror mum & dad in so many ways and they were the same too, you could only push so far. Therapeutic in a sense and healthy to lend a voice to those ongoing frustrations with this individual, just been so long! What's done is done, hmm and what do you know I am human after all ;) Mum 'picked me up' afterwards after multiple apologies for my outburst, she always knows the right things to say and do ❤

Last edited:

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Oh by the way mum well happy and increasingly cognizant in the late afternoon and evenings, longer/brighter days a definite catalyst. Now I don't want my diary thread to be all doom and gloom haha but yes apart from Sunday we're both in a really good place! Honest :)

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Mum continues to surprise and amaze me! Yesterday evening was a full max one for reading, she couldn't really verbalise but as I did mum was able to identify the objects either by pointing and eye movements. It's terribly frustrating for her when unable to sound a word out loud but you can see that she is able to process it nonetheless, we do talk but the act of reading out loud escapes her. Several years ago we would sit in the back room taking turns at 'Discworld' passages, doing character voices, you know the total works and for the life of me I can't seem to remember when this ability stopped. I think it's the same for the broad spectrum of functionality, it doesn't just suddenly cease, maybe a quiet exit perhaps through the back door of the brain. Strange for a person who has worked in acute clinical services that I can't record it any better!

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Well consequences of fallout with sibling on Sunday now apparent... has created a false self-serving narrative 🤔 enough said anyways with this being an open forum! As if we didn't have a myriad of challenges already to deal with eh? Fortunately I'm a tough cookie and used to such nonsense, oops right mum's issuing instructions so must go, she's the boss after all :)

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
So sorry @Eddcorner - I bet your mum would have a thing or two to say!
She would indeed haha :) Mum warned me early post-diagnosis that I would encounter problems with this individual and didn't want them involved... However mid journey and following a serious illness (mum) I reached out believing it was the right thing to do, should have listened!! All mum's predictions (and there were many) came true but it is what it is @sdmhred, such is life my friend ✌

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Mum having a really weirdy day 🤔 her numbers are all great so we'll just roll with it, even routine has been shelved... Where mum leads I follow though, won't do us any harm - anyways she'll let me know in no uncertain terms when ready to get back on her virtual horse ;)

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
I don't think I've ever worked so hard this past week/ten days or so! For all mum's increased seasonal cognizance the physical management side feels much more 'heavier' both on a macro and micro level; swellings from RA stuff are much better, pain - well we've found a balance of sorts which mum is happier with... It's just all the adjustments re. posture, the way she holds herself whilst sitting or standing, the tightness of it all 🤔 like mum's being physically squeezed (arms and torso) into a not so normal (apologies for use of that word) framing. The only real comparison I can draw is with that of a 'Stop Motion' figure, hoping this is a shortlived phenomenon peeps.

Last edited:

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Reflecting on yesterday's post 🤔

Apart from the brain fog and RA mum is doing exceptionally well for a woman touching nigh on eighty years of age; yes she's had past health issues/crises where clinicians have effectively written her off as someone with the former but has bounced back from each episode stronger than ever... Many of her contemporaries (diagnosed much later) are either in nursing homes with a multitude of health concerns or have passed on. So mum is walking, talking and breathing, is as sharp as a pin and still drives me loopy from time to time - in retrospect she's not doing that bad then eh?

Message to self: stop complaining haha ;)

Last edited:

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Reflecting on yesterday's post 🤔

Apart from the brain fog and RA mum is doing exceptionally well for a woman touching nigh on eighty years of age; yes she's had past health issues/crises where clinicians have effectively written her off as someone with the former but has bounced back from each episode stronger than ever... Many of her contemporaries (diagnosed much later) are either in nursing homes with a multitude of health concerns or have passed on. So mum is walking, talking and breathing, is as sharp as a pin and still drives me loopy from time to time - in retrospect she's not doing that bad then eh?

Message to self: stop complaining haha ;)
yes your mum is doing well. maybe because you were a practitioner, you might be over thinking things sometimes.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
yes your mum is doing well. maybe because you were a practitioner, you might be over thinking things sometimes.
I get that from mum ;) always dissecting, always seeking solutions... such a unique mind! Most of my textbook stuff did go out the window at the outset though, I learnt double quick that it's a very personal journey with no preset answers regardless of what you're taught. Hmm and when I think of the many older people's wards, homes etc that I covered whilst still practicing both as a student and a qualified member of staff - shame on me :( just didn't have the knack back then.

Ultimately I want mum to be happy, pain free and have her body keep pace with her cognitive functioning. Nothing more frustrating from her perspective than being able to process but not follow through on a task physically. I think her longevity is down to her determination to fight her corner each and every day, I'm just along for the ride! For me - you just want to give more, make it easier if you can... perhaps that's where my over thinking comes in.

Last edited:

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Adverts for two separate charities this evening, get this asking for preferred donations of £32 and £39!! I've banged on about this before (right moaning-minnie me) but come on guys - really?

On a lighter note 😄 mum is taking great enjoyment from getting me to stand up every time I'm at the point of sitting down, this is even after I've asked whether she's sure there's nothing else for me to do! Very sharp, very sharp indeed 👏👏👏

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Adverts for two separate charities this evening, get this asking for preferred donations of £32 and £39!! I've banged on about this before (right moaning-minnie me) but come on guys - really?

On a lighter note 😄 mum is taking great enjoyment from getting me to stand up every time I'm at the point of sitting down, this is even after I've asked whether she's sure there's nothing else for me to do! Very sharp, very sharp indeed 👏👏👏
your mum sounds like my kind of woman!!! christmas shelter sponsor a room is quite high too. it used to be a voluntary amount

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
your mum sounds like my kind of woman!!! christmas shelter sponsor a room is quite high too. it used to be a voluntary amount
I like this aspect of mum's personality albeit it's a little bit tiring haha - up/down/round and around/this way/that way... I'd be a bit worried if this side of her disappeared altogether however. Hmm and still no tips @jennifer1967!!!

I used to contribute years and years ago to various charities, now with supporting mum full-time I just don't have the money anymore. Throws me completely when they ask for so many pennies, not to mention (which is a biggie for me) having to share personal info but what really annoys me are cold-callers grrr 🤬, third party representatives acting for numerous orgs wanting you to set up a DD on doorstep!! No thank you 😠

Last edited: