Late onset dementia

craigbd

May 8, 2024
Hi there everyone,
The website has been a fantastic help and joining this forum is th ex next step in trying to get some further information about my Mum who got diagnosed with late onset dementia recentley!
She has deteriated very quickly and is now bed bound, Unable to speak and is incontinant and unable to move at all!! She stopped eating several days ago and had drunk very little, i wish i could end this suffering for her as it is destroying me to see her like this! My question is, how long can she survive like this as the nurses have said it could me months? I hope folk out there with previous experience with their loved ones might be able to shed some light and maybe some advise as i feel so helpless xx

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Sadly the nurse is correct. Someone with dementia can be at the very end and then rally for a bit. It is very very cruel and devastating for the loved ones to witness. Not been there myself yet but I have spoken with many carers in your shoes. I guess it’s about looking after your self as well as your mum. If she is getting the right meds she will be comfortable. You don’t say where she is,in a home or hospital ? Or is she at home with carers? All the best.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello and welcome @craigbd to this friendly and supportive forum. I am glad you have found us.
I am sorry to read about your Mum's recent late onset diagnosis. It's a cruel disease for sure, but it sounds as though you are doing well in caring for her. Is she still at home, or in a nursing home (as you mention nurses).
How long this stage can go on for - there is no definitive answer. But all I would say it is amazing how long the body can go on for with seemingly very little or no nourishment or drink. I had the same with my dear Mum. There's no getting away from the emotional rollercoaster at this stage I'm afraid. Just be with her, hold her hand, talk of happy memories and that you love her etc. Even though she is unable to speak, hearing may certainly be very much still there.
I also hope you have some time for yourself. Your own health is important in all of this. Take care, and wishing you strength at this hugely difficult time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Porternorma