Dear Diary!

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
love reading all these posts. lightens up what is usually sad situation. its interesting how most of us are wives of the PWA. we are more comfortable sharing our feelings. i've recently joined a knitting circle. only because a friend of mine didn't want to go alone. and I have found that these few hours away from the routine are very beneficial to me! I wouldn't have gone for myself you see? I make him a sandwich, lock the doors and he's fine for a few hours. so far so good
Hi @myfanwe :)

Yes, I initially started this thread as a reflective piece but it's morphed quite a bit over the past several weeks. I still try and note down our daily stuff but I also like sharing other aspects too, makes me feel 'normal' again; talking about interests, getting pointers, having a laugh in what can otherwise be a challenging journey at times. Reminds me I'm here too and that's been a massive plus as we can often be swept away by everything else. I'm also glad you fell on your feet with the knitting circle, it's often these unexpected opportunities that bring a much welcomed interlude! Now you don't get off that easy ;) Any book recommendations?

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Well out to our local Asda today, not so much for the shopping but the fresh air and sunshine. Mum has been desperate to get out and I was determined to deliver this afternoon. Going local gives us a shorter window to travel as there are no disabled amenities but hopefully when the weather is more consistent we can pop into town where this won't be such a big problem. Anyways following our return and lunch mum now out for the count, so gonna catch my breath and then prep dinner. Half hour break to catch up with the news, bonus! :)

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
its got good songs in it. maybe madagascar or some of the disney films.
To digress slightly (as I always do), remember mum taking me to the pictures to see the likes of Dumbo, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty as a child. They had an intermission in those days, kia ora juice with little tubs of ice cream 🍦 from the nice lady :)

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
To digress slightly (as I always do), remember mum taking me to the pictures to see the likes of Dumbo, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty as a child. They had an intermission in those days, kia ora juice with little tubs of ice cream 🍦 from the nice lady :)
they used to walk down the aisles to the front and you went and got it. dont get it these days and popcorn is very expensive in cinema. with my grandchildren, i have revisited the disney and animation films. frozen is one of my least favourite films

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
they used to walk down the aisles to the front and you went and got it. dont get it these days and popcorn is very expensive in cinema. with my grandchildren, i have revisited the disney and animation films. frozen is one of my least favourite films
Yep cinema prices are ridiculously high, when I used to take my son many years ago we would buy a very large hotdog 🌭 (our little tradition) and it was expensive then, dread to think what it costs these days. Modern day Disney doesn't really appeal, Moana being the exception. Just the amateur film critic in me I guess haha ;)

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
I remember trips to the local flea pit when I was a child. First with my mum, I remember seeing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Herbie.
Later, in the six weeks holiday, a group of us (primary school age) were allowed to go alone with a couple of parents picking us up when it had finished.
The thing I remember is we used to dance in the aisle when the local ads came on (usually for some local Indian restaurant). This was frowned on by the staff! Happy Days.

I think these days (not been for years) people try and sneak their own food in - as you say, @jennifer1967 ,the popcorn is a rip off.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
We don’t go now but with a CEO card carers can get in free - some cinemas put on cheapy silver screens in the day with tea and coffee!

i used to take my mental health clients as they didn’t have an age restriction 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ - paid for normal seats and sat in the huge premium ones. Clients loved it and it was a good work afternoon - as long as i chose carefully who I sat next to!

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
I remember trips to the local flea pit when I was a child. First with my mum, I remember seeing Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Herbie.
Later, in the six weeks holiday, a group of us (primary school age) were allowed to go alone with a couple of parents picking us up when it had finished.
The thing I remember is we used to dance in the aisle when the local ads came on (usually for some local Indian restaurant). This was frowned on by the staff! Happy Days.

I think these days (not been for years) people try and sneak their own food in - as you say, @jennifer1967 ,the popcorn is a rip off.
Before VHS and DVDs they just used to put Disney faves into a recycling mode as a money maker. Herbie and Escape to Witch Mountain... classic 70s. Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers, Sinbad, Clash of the Titans, Spiderman - I remember them all :)

I also remember my first 15 certificate film 'A Letter to Brezhnev', now that was a film! There were also lots of cinemas back then, now it's just one or two big chains, hmm you could always find something to watch back in the day.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
We don’t go now but with a CEO card carers can get in free - some cinemas put on cheapy silver screens in the day with tea and coffee!

i used to take my mental health clients as they didn’t have an age restriction 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️ - paid for normal seats and sat in the huge premium ones. Clients loved it and it was a good work afternoon - as long as i chose carefully who I sat next to!
Yep did that myself too, always a winner with the peeps; theatre, Blackpool Lights, the fair, even Amsterdam - long-term therapeutic benefits immeasurable. Now they were right proper days!

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
They definitely were the good old days! We did cinema, bowling, football, theatre, wetherspoons, picnics, dog walks and then the LA decided no longer allowed 😢

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
They definitely were the good old days! We did cinema, bowling, football, theatre, wetherspoons, picnics, dog walks and then the LA decided no longer allowed 😢
I worked in the private sector (various charities) as all the hospitals for people with LD closed down (Thatcher), eventually went into the NHS for my last 5 or 6 years. I could never settle in one place easily through. Had most fun as a student nurse, it was a big time of change in services. Community Care Act came in then delayed as they realised the costs of implementing it! Lots more staff needed in community as opposed to ward based care.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Just before my time I think. I really enjoyed working in an assertive outreach team for hard to engage and risky clients. Loved it. They spoke v fondly of their time in the large hospitals! Working in CMHRS also good - but now the NHS / Social services are ‘divorced’ for mental health care. I feel very de-skilled in SS now. Biding time - hanging on to 3 days per week largely from home whilst mum allows. Will move on post dementia. Maybe mh well-being, coaching, training 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Just before my time I think. I really enjoyed working in an assertive outreach team for hard to engage and risky clients. Loved it. They spoke v fondly of their time in the large hospitals! Working in CMHRS also good - but now the NHS / Social services are ‘divorced’ for mental health care. I feel very de-skilled in SS now. Biding time - hanging on to 3 days per week largely from home whilst mum allows. Will move on post dementia. Maybe mh well-being, coaching, training 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️
I trained 91-94 and yes many of the peeps I worked with often commented in a positive way about their hospital memories. Nursing for me just reached a natural end after a difficult period in my life. Worked in a warehouse once back on my feet before college and university again, obvs plans on hold following mum's diagnosis. Not too sure post dementia..? Could never do care work!

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
One of the cinemas in town has an arrangement. I think organised by Age UK, that once a month on a Thursday morning they have what they call a "dementia friendly film showing". They select old films from the 1940's, or 1950's or 1960's for dementia sufferers - free - and their carers at a v cheap price. They also on the third Sunday of each month have an "autism friendly film showing" for autism sufferers - free - and their carers, also at a cheap price. I think that's really good. The price includes a cup of tea and biscuit beforehand.

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
One of the cinemas in town has an arrangement. I think organised by Age UK, that once a month on a Thursday morning they have what they call a "dementia friendly film showing". They select old films from the 1940's, or 1950's or 1960's for dementia sufferers - free - and their carers at a v cheap price. They also on the third Sunday of each month have an "autism friendly film showing" for autism sufferers - free - and their carers, also at a cheap price. I think that's really good. The price includes a cup of tea and biscuit beforehand.
Hey that's not bad is it? I think there are some similar schemes just out of area but mum's quite picky about what she watches... would probably have to be slightly violent haha ;) Mum really enjoys a right proper fight, either that or sci-fi. We did watch 'The Great Gatsby' (1974) this afternoon... was much enjoyed!

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Groaning as I type. I'm not a big eater during the day usually apart from at breakfast time, having a bigger meal later on. Well today I over indulged and am paying for it big style :( too many roast beef and gravy sandwiches! Tummy twitches...

Eddcorner

Aug 27, 2020
Oh managed to arrange covid boosters for me and mum next week (home visit), reminded them I expect them to wear gloves, masks and apron on attending. Last time I had to ask 'staff' to return to car and get the necessaries, visibly taken aback by my request! 'Extremely clinically vulnerable' didn't seem to register; unsurprisingly this service had been contracted out. Ah well at least it will be sorted, dentist is to visit the following day, next on list? Opticians 👓

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @Eddcorner
Cinema - no they do violent films, as they don't think they're dementia friendly.
Dentist - how did you get a dentist to house call? I don't think my OH would be able to properly engage with instructions such as keep your mouth open etc. I'll have ago at trying to find a dentist that does home visits, but reaction may be just another strange young person trying to tell her what to do, against which, her first reaction will be to resist. Post how you get on, please.