Yet ANOTHER fall, and in hospital and poorly

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Oh how I relish the time when I can read all your lovely messages! Thank you all so much for finding the time in your own busy lives to send such loving thoughts to me, I cannot tell you how much it's appreciated.

When I visited John today, after my second funeral of the week, my daughter was there. She hadn't seen her Dad for about a week, as she's had a cold, and the Home, naturally, don't want you visiting if you're infected.

Poor girl, she burst out crying at the change in him, and what he's now become, and I stressed that I'd far rather she remembers him, as he was, than torture herself. He can't hear her, he doesn't know she's there, and I reassured her that I wouldn't be upset if she didn't come, and she said "but what about you?"!!

I said I'm made of strong stuff, and blimey, I must be. I fell off a step ladder yesterday, my own stupid, stubborn fault. I fell backwards 4 feet, into a radiator, banged my head on the wall with the impetus, and have a gash about 6 inches in my back. NO SYMPATHY PLEASE!!!! I was stupid, and shouldn't have done it.

My grand-daughter wanted to dial 999, and screamed out "have you broken your neck" because of the bang of my head against the wall. I assured her I hadn't, but wanted to cry. She bathed my back, and applied half a dozen large plasters, so that just the gauze bit was across the gash. I daren't have a bath, because the dressing will come off, so I'm using John's bath wipes (which someone on here told me about, so thank you very much!) for a few days.

And of course, all I wanted was John to cuddle me, and bathe my back, and apply soothing cream, and plasters and say "my poor brave girl". That's what I miss so much. When I listened to the eulogies today, a couple of the men broke down, and couldn't continue and their mates had to read them. I've given eulogies before, and broke down, but nobody minds if you're crying and they're all willing you on.

After one, about 6 years ago, several people were saying that they wanted to book me for their eulogy! And John asked me to do his too. And whilst listening to those today, I thought "how could I ever do one for John? Nobody could do one for their husband!". But I know I'll have to .......... because I promised him again a few years ago.

Such a morbid thing to think about, but I'm determined I'll not let him down. I feel the end could be in 10 years, or 10 days, who knows, but something tell me to prepare myself for more grim times ahead. My poor, poor lad looks like he's been on a starvation protest for months, as his cheeks have sunken, and he doesn't even look like himself.

I'm cancelling John's appointment with the consultant, regarding his Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, as he can't communicate anything, so what's the point of going. I've also received a letter today for my Pre-Op Medical, which I shall be cancelling too. I don't want to be hobbling around on crutches at the moment, and providing I put sticking plasters on my bent toes (arthritis) to stop then rubbing against my shoes too much, I'm OK. A few weeks or months isn't going to make much difference, and I haven't been asked to appear on Strictly. ;)

I'll get back on TP when I can, but once again, thank you for all your love, support and kind wishes, and love to all of you wonderful people too. Have as good a weekend as you all can. xxxxxx

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Oh Scarlett!!!!! For goodness sake! Please look after yourself!!;)

Think of you every day. x

pony-mad

May 23, 2014
Mid-Wales
Sending love by the bucketful:; with strength stamina and good-humour thrown in too!
And........be careful!!!!!!!
G x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Oh my poor Scarlett. So many horrible things are happening to you at the moment just when you are having to be so strong. Please take care of yourself and your poor toes. Hope you can find something to ease the pain of them. My chiropodist has made me a couple of things that prevent my shoes touching my toes and find they do relieve the pain. Sending love to you both. Verityxx

Sent from my GT-N5110

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
Don't know what to say Scarlet. Totally inadequate words to offer, just loads of love and healing through the ether. Please take care of yourself, you can't do what you are having to do when you are in several bits. X Thinking of you and John. Shelagh:)

Scarlett123

Apr 30, 2013
Essex
Just had a one hour chat on Skype with my son, 6000 miles away, who assured me he could be here in a day if I wanted him. But it's not as if he and John could fondly talk about the times they played for the same cricket club, or went to West Ham, or anything like that.

He was pleased to hear that I was going out for an evening meal with friends next week - my second evening meal in 6 months!!! - and gave me a right telling off for even going on the lowest rung of the stepladder, let alone the top one. :eek:

Rathbone

May 17, 2014
West Sussex
How absolutely lovely Scarlet! What a star! Hope you hang on to that thought - the one about being by your side, not the telling off (however right he was). X Love and a big hug Shelagh :)

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Scarlett, I'm so sorry you had that fall. It sounded very scary and that's some large cut you have on your back. Thank goodness your Grandaughter was with you. I won't tell you off:eek: but just ask you to be careful.

Of course you wanted John to be there to help you; it's times like that that really get to me. I'm hoping that your day will be better today and John is peaceful.

You are in my thoughts

Love,

Lyn T

pamann

Oct 28, 2013
Kent
Hello Scarlett l am sending you a big hug, so much going on in your life, regarding your toes l had very bad bent toes, went to my Dr. I had them straightened 6 toes, the relief was amazing after years of pain, all done on NHS, my thoughts are with you at this very difficult time ♥♥♥

jan.s

Sep 20, 2011
Dear Scarlett, I have only just read your thread. Oh my goodness, what you and John have been through is horrendous, and I am so sorry.

I have on Rogers notes that I don't want him to go to hospital, although I guess after such a fall, an x-Ray is important. I would expect him to stay a minimum amount of time, especially after reading about you bad experience.

I am glad John is back at the CH, although he still sounds very frightened. I hope he realises that he is back in the kindness of those who care for him.

At times like this, there is little that can be said to bring comfort. Just know that I'm thinking of you and wishing for good things for you both.

Jan x

truth24

Oct 13, 2013
North Somerset
Thanks for includng us in that, LadyA. Hope your back is healing nicely and you have a peaceful day, Scarlett. Love to you both. Verityxx

Sent from my GT-N5110

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch