Worried I will develop this!!

alexmarland

Jan 21, 2009
Hi all, my mum has been diagnosed with Alzheimers and is only 59and im now worried it may affect me in later life along with my son.My mother has been suffering memory loss for about 4years and now got to the stage she cant remember the months,periods of the year,Daily occurences and so on.Im 38 and even now I seem to forget the simplest of things such as names of people,dates of things to do,opening cupboards and forgetting what for and going upstairs wondering what on earth for!! Am I being a hypochondriac or should I be worried?

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Am I being a hypochondriac or should I be worried?

Hi Alex, welcome to TP.

I'd say no to the first question. The second one doesn't have an answer, because you'll worry anyway. We all worry, it's human nature.

Whether or not you have anything to worry about, I don't know. On'y a small proportion of dementias are reckoned to be genetic, and unless you are prepared to undergo a gene test, you're not going to know if your mum has that variation.

What I can say is that all your symptoms can just as easily be caused by stress. I'm familiar with all of them, as I'm sure are many other members of the forum.

If you want to know more abou genetic dementia, there's a factsheet here:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/factsheet/405

But try not to worry, and concentrate on caring for your mum and your son.

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
Hi Alexmarland.
Please Dont Worry You Are Stressed With Your Mum And Trying To Deal With All That Goes With Her Dementia And Trying To Keep Things Normal For Your Son Etc.

Hey You Are Reading The Words Of The Biggest Hypochondriact Here But I Am A Worrier And I Have Gone Upstairs Forgot What I Was There For, Answerd The Telephone At Work And Forgot What To Say (when I Say It A 100 Times A Day) And Iam Stressed But I Have Learned To Recognise It For What It Is, So Please Dont Worry About The Future For No-one Can Predict What Will Happen, So You Will Be Wasting Your Energy On Something That Might Never Happen When You Should Really Be Looking After Yourself. Take Care Xx
Hope This Is Of Help Xx

alexmarland

Jan 21, 2009
Thanks

Thanks Hazel and Sam for your wise words its really appreciated dont no if im coming or going at the moment im sure this site will help with what is to come with regards to my mum.
THANKS ALEX XX

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Alex,
I've gone through several phases when I've worried that I am developing or will develop AD. Then I calm down after a while & and proceed with my life.

It's just human nature. About 10 years ago, before my mother was diagnosed, so it was nothing to do with that, I developed a fixation about my death. What would it be like? When would it happen? What was the process? etc etc etc. I obsessed for quite a while & then fortunately for all around me, I got over it.

KatsWhiskers

Feb 8, 2007
Ramsgate - Kent
I too can relate to the same feelings about whether I will be an AD sufferer and having seen the dreadful 'slow death' at close range it terrifies me since I have neither siblings nor family to care for me.

Both Mum and her brother (my uncle) are at the same stage now.

I did post a message asking what people thought about it being hereditary but I was sort of reprimanded by a moderator for having done so.

It's in the genes yes. There is a blood test one can be given apparently.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I was sort of reprimanded by a moderator for having done so
if you check back I think you will find you were not reprimanded. Or even 'sort of'.

Members and moderators will always seek to clarify things to themselves, to those in a thread, and to people at any time later who read the thread.

Two moderators, who are carers, replied to your thread, along with other members.

Nobody reprimanded anyone. No reason to.

so no problem, eh? :)

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
It's in the genes yes. There is a blood test one can be given apparently.

I know there is a blood test for FAD - familial Alzheimer's disease, which is a very early onset - people usually start being affected in their early 30s and most die before the age of 50. That form of Alzheimer's affects only about 5% - 10% of Alzheimer's sufferers. There is a specific test for this and it is a yes or no answer. If you have this particular mutated gene, you will develop Alzheimer's. And start it early.

The other 90% - 95% suffer from what is referred to as "sporadic Alzheimer's", meaning that there is no explanation at this time. Most of us fall into this group. There is some evidence that having a blood relative with AD can increase one's chances, but it's not a significant increase.

There is also the apoE4 gene. Below is a quote taken from the Alzheimer Society of Canada. My emphasis added.

If a person's pair of apoE genes include one apoE4, they have three times the normal risk of developing Alzheimer's disease, but if they carry two apoE4 genes the risk increases to ten times. It is important to note, however, that people with no apoE4 genes can still develop Alzheimer's disease, and people with two apoE4 genes may not.

If I were tested for the apoE4 gene & found out I had two, it still doesn't mean I will absolutely develop Alzheimer's.

So unless it is the familial form of Alzheimer's in your family, I would not worry too much about it (easier said than done, I know :)). There is research done regarding lifestyles etc but my post would end up being longer than Gone With The Wind.

barbara h

Feb 15, 2008
county durham
I found this a very interesting post as my sister and i have been worrying about getting dementia when we are old. My mam had vascular dementia which i know isn't hereditary but they also said she could also have had another form as well. Her mother and grandmother also had dementia so we have always known that it has been in the family but seeing it so close does scare you for the future.

I suppose the only thing to do is live for today.

love
barbara h

KatsWhiskers

Feb 8, 2007
Ramsgate - Kent
Barbara H

As you say - we really do have to take each day as it comes.
We may be knocked down by a bus tomorrow - but think I'd prefer that rather than knowing I have Alzheimers ! :confused:

Take care

xxx

Mary

BeverleyY

Jan 29, 2008
Ashford, Kent
As you say - we really do have to take each day as it comes.
We may be knocked down by a bus tomorrow - but think I'd prefer that rather than knowing I have Alzheimers ! :confused:

Take care

xxx

Mary

Ditto.. the bus would be preferable I think :(

I think all of us with a parent with a form of Dementia think at some point.. what if I get it?

I've thought it many times, and have discussed my thoughts with my husband (though I know he doesn't like my views on it).

I know when Dad was first diagnosed, he was mindful something was wrong. Now, a number of years on he is totally refuses to believe there is anything wrong.

Being totally honest, if I were diagnosed I'd be more scared of AZ and the effect it would have on my family than of death itself.

Beverley

KatsWhiskers

Feb 8, 2007
Ramsgate - Kent
Beverley

Yep - I agree - when one sees what it does to the person you love - its so sad. I know I lost my Mum a couple of years ago - as she's in a world of her own and totally oblivious to what's going on around her.
I've had a bad time with arthritis in my knee - but did I get any sympathy ? No - I just got constant abuse.

Your lucky that you have your husband to support you as I have no one. So if you hear of a 'spare' man anywhere - send him over please lol. So much needs doing in the house and I could do with the company.

Every good wish to you and your dear Dad.

Mary