Who am I ? I won't know myself soon!!!

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Crikey you are efficient , mind you I like to get everything done promptly so I don’t forget or mislay it . There doesn’t seem much more you can do now until like you say you are asked , maybe time for a bit of a breather and take a little time for you and hubby. Hopefully it won’t be too long until decision is made so you all know where you are and what’s happening . ? Xxxx

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Thanks for replies xxx
Popped over to mums house today to pick up carer report sheets to return to care agency and check her house ok, It's so strange being in mums house without her in it. We've often popped in to check on things in past when she's been staying at my sisters but it feels different now. Hubby said It's thinking she won't be coming back to it that's weird. It makes me cry thinking about it, but then at the moment quite a lot is making me cry. I just can't stop thinking abut her and wondering about her, it's like she's been stolen, taken somewhere but I can't see her. I hate this and feel so guilty and sorry for her and selfishly sorry for myself too.
My sister rang CH yesterday morning to see how mum was and they said she'd been in good mood early on, had breakfast and meds but was in a grumpy mood again. He said mum was like sunshine and showers, she has some good times and some grumpy ones but nothing that wasn't to be expected and they weren't concerned about it but would let us know if they were.
I haven't rung this morning, I couldn't decide whether to or not, but thought if there is any problems or mum wants anything they'll let us know and other than that when we ring we only get brief snapshot of how she is and she's up and down by sound of it which is to be expected, so speaking to them doesn't really help anyone. I keep wondering if she's wondering where we are, if she's annoyed with us or forgot us. I hope she doesn't feel abandoned but I bet at times she does, I don't know how I can help that though. She used to think I'd abandoned her when I saw her everyday as she didn't recognise it was me that had been.
I thought I'd ask tomorrow if they thought it was ok to speak to mum on phone and if could arrange it. My sister said when she spoke to them before mum went in that they said we could face time but I'm not sure mum would get it and she may not recognise me again which could confuse matters more so I thought just talking on normal phone might be better. Don't know if she'd have to go to an office to do that though and may not be allowed while quarantined so I will need to see what they say. I don't know what I'll say to her if do get to talk to her, or what mood she'll be in, I don't want to upset her more than she is so will be lead by what they think.
Sorry for the moaning minny post I feel quite lost and useless at the moment and don't know what I'm supposed to do.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
When mum was in her care home they used cordless phones and a couple of times when I phoned up to see how she was the phone was passed on to mum. With this pandemic, though, they may have to limit the time that the residents speak to relatives on the care home line, so I dont know what they would say. No harm in asking, though.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
They are all valid points and feelings and I’m sure everyone has felt that way too when in your situation . I agree ring and see what they say , FaceTime may work as staff will be able to assist , or chat on phone , worth asking what they think . I found it hard being in Mums when she was at my house unaware I was there , and then when I packed it all it up and cleared it out I felt so guilty and almost like a burglar , it’s a bizarre horrible feeling , the couple of times we took her it upset her so much we didn’t bother again , left her here watching a film .Sending you lots of hugs and support , thinking of you . Whatever you do please be kind to yourself and if you want to veg on sofa for awhile then so be it . ? ? X

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
That's understandable @annielou , it's horrible to go into an empty home when you wish your mum could be there. My mum has been in her care home for almost a year, and I still find it tough going to her house, especially now as we start to clear and sell it.
I know that mum is in the right place where she enjoys the company and is well cared for, and I find thinking about that helps.
I FaceTime mum, the staff take the iPad to mum in her room, or the dining room where it's quiet . It might sound a bit daft, but could you where a big name badge so your mum can read your name, just incase she's at one of those times when she's muddled with faces?
I can understand you feeling lost, but you will find a new routine , enjoy the time now with your hubby. Could you go and spend a few days with him at your sisters? Or just the two of you go away, maybe to self catering if that's easier to keep away from covid.

DianeW

Sep 10, 2013
Lytham St Annes
It is perfectly natural to feel that way.....I always felt the house was very cold and not the lovely warm homely place it was when my Auntie and Uncle where there!!!

Also my mum and dad lived in Isle of Man and Dad still does in their home....mum died almost 20 years ago and it still feels wrong when I go, I can’t explain it.

I think phoning mum would be best especially because she usually remembers you on the phone as her Andrea......

But be expected for the onslaught of questions, to take her home etc.

I would if she pushes you just try calmly to explain that the hospital Dr sent her there for convalescence after her fall and small stroke....as they need to wait for test results that take time at the moment to come back.......and that when they say she is better she can go home again.

Try to treat it like a little holiday while she gets better and enjoy getting waited on for a bit....

Tell her that you will be able to visit her soon and she will shortly be able to mix and join in things with the other people that are convalescing too.

Tell her you want to visit her but can’t at the moment but will be able to soon.

It’s going to be difficult I think because you can’t go get her or give her the answers you want or she wants.

It’s a difficult decision whether to speak to her or not, just be prepared that it won’t likely be a friendly loving call.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I used to find phoning the care home to see how mum was pretty frustrating and mostly useless. They never seemed to tell me what I wanted to know and would often just say, 'oh she's been a bit grumpy/wandering a bit/not eaten much but seems fine today.' I'd then be left wondering what she was really like and would spend ages going back over what was said trying to read between the lines.

Pointless really. I should just have listened to their last 3 words and left it at that.

I do hope you can speak to your mum on the phone as you've done so much of that over recent times and it might work well for her. On the other hand, be prepared to have her blame you for everything...!

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
Mum could not do FaceTime but she manages phone calls. I think you will be absolutely fine as you are well practised in making the appropriate comments.
I think what Diane said is so true. Your Mum will probably tell you she wants to go home and make up loads of reasons why she should. I still say to my Mum the Dr says you need to stay until you are a little better which at least prevents me getting the blame.
I also sometimes think that Mum just wants to ‘vent’ at someone about everything that is wrong in her life - that person being me. I thought I would need to be all chatty and give her news but generally find that Mum just talks (generally muddled) and has no interest in my life.
I am sure there will be more tears, frustrations and sadness over the coming months. So much has changed and will change again in your life and all suddenly, but you will continue to be amazing and cope with it all. You are one strong person dealing with all that has happened To you which you have kindly shared with us

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
You are between a rock and a hard place there Andrea because you are worried and want to know how your Mum is settling in but if you phone you are likely only to get a standard “Oh she’s fine” type answer. The staff are going to get fed up if you phone too often and up to a point you have to let them get on with their job and leave Mum to get on with them.
if you phone and ask to speak to her you could well upset the applecart by reminding her that she wants to leave, when in fact she is coping with things as they are. If she is stressed we’ll that isn’t much different to when she was at home and not knowing you even though you were going in every day! You could well be working yourself into a frazzle over how she is doing and she could be more relaxed than when at home by herself.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
Morning @annielou.

I've been catching up with your thread. A lot has happened since I last read your entries.

It's exceptionally hard making the move to a CH, no doubt you know this now, but it is an ongoing change. I found the sadness I had over making the decision resolved slowly as I began to realise it was the best of a bad situation for everybody. The guilt monster raises its head now and again but I think thats more due to lockdown and no visiting. Even though we know it's coming we try to dodge it as best we can until suddenly we have arrived at the destination of CH and then its 'all change' -we split up as our own seperate journeys continue. It almost sounds like a train journey home from a holiday, but of course its not. Its a difficult time to make the transition because we can't visit as before, but like many others visitng at the beginning is not necessarily a good thing (though thats not true in all situations, pwd are individual and differ in their needs).

I find phone calls difficult because mum instantly recognises my voice and gets upset and teary so I avoid them purely to prevent her from feeling so distraught, otherwise she is settled and quite content in the CH. When I speak to the staff I ask for mums nurse for the day and they generally tell me how she really is, how she has slept, any changes and how she is in her mood. I find the carers not so informative, but its easy to become desensitised in an environment where they are surrounded by pwd, many in later stages. Each care home is different and you will find your way round this eventually, no care home is perfect so I apply my rules of how I would want to be cared for and see if they are met.

Its a tough jounrey caring for someone with dementia, for some the decisions they make come easy and for others not so easy.

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Thanks for all the replies xxxxxx
Still don't know what to do, I hate calling people and don't want to be seen as a bother, but also don't want to look like I don't care and have forgot about mum now. I want to know how she is, but then what do I do with the info they give me? I can't do anything about it if she's upset which she probably will be even if only some of the time. I want to talk to mum so she knows I love her and haven't forgotten her but am scared to talk to her in case it makes her more upset by either confusing her who I am, how old I am and where I am, or she's upset because she's not at home and wants to know why I can't bring her home. There's a slight chance calling may make one or both of us feel better and there's also a chance it'll make us feel worse. Which way to go, I don't know.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
When I had a difficult time with OH and couldnt leave him to visit mum I sent her postcards with a simple message saying that I loved her and would see her soon.
Apparently mum loved them and got the carers to read them out to her over and over and as they were picture postcards that I sent she thought I was on holiday, so she was happy.

Other people on here have found cards on the internet that you can record a short message onto and it will play the message when you open the card, which sounds like a good idea.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I don't use phones unless I have to @annielou, but I was wondering if you have an email address for the home? You could just drop a line with your email address and a message for you mum. That way they can pick it up when they have the time.
As @canary says I've been sending in cards, including those recorded ones and ones where you put one of your own photos on the front. Also flowers, a small teddy that she loved and a cushion with a photo of most of the family on it.
I wouldn't worry as to what they think of you, though I know that's easier said than done. They'll know how much you care about your mum,

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
It sounds to me like, despite the amazing job you have been doing in trying circumstances, the time has come for a care home for your mother's own safety. She is clearly likely to do something that puts her at serious risk when you are not there.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
Great idea’s there @annielou about sending cards ,Little nik naks , teddy, chocolate , flowers and an email to the home , put in there what you have here , that you miss Mum, don’t want to upset her by calling , and see what they say . Hope you have an ok day ? ❤ Xx

annielou

Sep 27, 2019
Yorkshire
Thanks for replies xxxxx I bit the bullet before lunch and decided to phone and see. Lady who answered said mum was ok just bit bored, I asked if she was still wanting to leave all the time and she said she wanders about a bit. I asked if thought it would be ok to talk to her on phone or if thought that might make her worse. She said she didn't know, I could try it if like and see. So I asked if had to book a time and she said No she could take phone up to her room now and see. While she was on way she said they'd just noticed some bruises on back of mums right arm did I know about them, I said No but I have noticed she has had them on top of her arm every so often before when she was at home and not known why, but I wondered if she held her arm when she was asleep cos she bruises easily. She said It could be. Then she must have got to mums room cos she said mum was there and told mum I was on phone.
Mum said Hello love,She sounded pleased to hear from me. I asked if she was ok and she said No I'm bored. She said there was nobody there and it was quiet. She told me she was only five minutes away, that she was near our old DRs and could walk it. I just mm'd. She asked if I could visit and I said not yet cos she's in isolation but I could in a bit. She asked a couple of times during call if she could go home, or how long she had to be there and if I could visit but she didn't get annoyed or upset when I answered, just accepted what I said and actually sounded ok not too sad or mad. I said I wasn't sure how long had to stay, maybe a few weeks, the DRs needed to monitor her after her fall and she seemed to accept it. She did say she could isolate at home but I said she needed to be where someone could report back to hospital and she said Oh yeah.
One time when she asked about me visiting and why I couldn't anymore I said I was isolating at home after going to hospital but I could do it at home cos I didn't need monitoring for the DRs like her but I should be able to go after that. She said Ok love and then asked How long did they say, 2 weeks? and I said Yeah think so. Mum said I've been in over a week already, I told her Not quite yet but I know it feels like it cos long days but it'll go by soon and when you're done isolating you can mingle and do more so it'll be better. Mum said I'm hoping to go home then. I said You have to stay a bit longer till DRs sure you ok but once yer done isolating you can go about and see other people and do more, Mum said see Who? there's nobody here? I said There is in other parts, it's just you're in isolation part and mum said Oh.
I asked if her room nice and mum said Yeah it's just boring. I asked if she was doing her puzzles and colouring and mum said she'd done them all, I asked All of them? cos I sent 3 books in and mum said Oh well I might a got bored on em. I asked if she'd been watching her DVDs and mum said she didn't know where they were. I said ask them when they next come in. The lady who'd took phone up must have been there cos mum asked her If she'd seen her DVDs and she said they were downstairs and she could bring them up. I told mum to ask them to put her one on. Said I'd sent her half a dozen including Vera cos she'd just started watching it at home. I said I 'd thought it might help pass her time so I'd sent her colouring books and puzzle books and magazine and some sweets and biscuits to help pass time. Mum said Thank you. I said I thought you could put home channel we used to watch on yer tele and do your colouring and puzzles, mum said she kept forgetting it was her tele. I said Yeah it's yours, you can put it on and ask them to put you a DVD on, mum said I will.
I asked mum about her bruises and she said she didn't know how she'd done them, I said Do you think you hold your arm in bed when you're asleep, mum laughed and said I don't think so, I said she sometimes used to have them at home and mum said I know I don't know what I do. I asked if maybe she bumped into a door frame, was there a door she goes through in her room she could have bumped. Mum said There's four. I said What four doors? and mum said No four bruises and laughed at me. She said she didn't know what she'd done but she bruises easy and never knows, which is true. Even before Alzheimers mum would have a bruise and not know how or why she got it, I'm the same. Then mum told me her thing was back on the back of her hand too, every so often she gets a deep red/purple mark on the back of her hand like a burst blood vessel, it's been happening for quite a while and we never known why. I said she needed wrapping up in bubble wrap, which had mum laughing again and saying It'd be a bit hot in bubble wrap.
Mum sounded ok, she wasn't angry or sad, she accepted what I said when saying had to stay where she was for a while. After we'd chatted a few minutes mum said You can ring again after a while so I said I would and we said bye, well mum said night night and then laughed, she used to do that a lot on the phone before, say night night even in the morning and then we said Love you lots. The lady who I spoke to first came back on and said they'd keep an eye on her for bruises if she bruises easy and I could ring any time. I said thanks.
When I hung up I thought I should have asked why mum didn't have her DVDs cos I was bit surprised she hadn't got them in her room, I'm now wondering if she has all stuff I packed for her to do. I don't know if it's being kept for a bit in case anything on them, or if she's not allowed to have them or something, but they never said anything when we asked about taking stuff in or when we dropped it off. I hope mum isn't just left sitting there with nothing to do, I'd hoped they'd suggest her doing some colouring, or puzzles, or putting tv on for her when they popped in to see mum. It could be mums just forgot what she has and what she's done, or that she said she didn't want them but it seems bit odd not to have DVDs in her room and now I'm wondering what else isn't there.
I felt a bit better when I first got off phone as mum hadn't sounded upset today like she was in hospital last time I saw her, but now I'm worrying about her being bored and if she has her things. My sister says we can ring and ask tomorrow and probably now I've mentioned DVDs they'll bring her them up, I hope so.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
@annielou It sounds like your mum isn't as anxious as she has been, which is good, and as you say once her quarantine is over she will hopefully get more involved in other activities. At the moment anything we bring in for mum at her care home has to be 'quarantined' for 3 days before being given to her due to infection control so I expect that the same has happened to her DVD's and other items.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathyann