What about the sufferers

Finbar54

May 23, 2024
Hi all first time post,diagnosed with ftd a week ago,am scared, this is the first forum I have found that mentions the sufferers,I am in Australia formerly from Cardiff, wales.is it me or does no one really understand what this disease is really like to live with.i am 70 years old and have been married for 50 years to a beautiful girl I met when she was 13.This is a living hell because the way I have been behaving,I’ll probably end up on my own and will probably deserve it.
There seems to be so many forums for carers but nothing for us nutty old farts

leny connery

Nov 13, 2022
hi, welcome to the forum for both the one who has the disease and his or her carer. We all try to support each other. I am sorry you get this disease, and must be so devastated and scared. No one deserves the impacts and consequences of this disease. Your beautiful wife of 50 years will , I am sure, stay by your side. Most of us do. We do not just abandon our beloved easily. There is the love for who you were, what you have been to her, loyalty, honour. We stick around, honestly. Having said that, read and find out as much as you can about it, try live a day at a time with as much positivity you can muster. Wishing you both the strength and the wisdom to carry on

Eileen12

May 23, 2024
Hello Finbar sorry to hear of your diagnosis, My Mum was diagnosed just yesterday, you have Alzheimers Dementia, eat well, do quizzes and take this medication. Have a nice life. You will lash out at those closest to you, carers always take that brunt but who explains that it’s not uncommon or personal. YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO BE ALONE. And I cannot imagine your wife deserting you. But she will need someone to support her.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Finbar54 and welcome to the forum. I am sorry to read about your diagnosis, this must be so frightening for you. We have a section on the forum for people who have dementia to post about how they feel and i have attached a link below. I have also attached a link about FTD which you might also find useful.

Finally I have attached a link to the Dementia Australia website because here in the UK we would not know what help may be available to you in Australia. However dementia is the same the world over and I do hope that you will continue to look for support on our forum.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello Finbar sorry to hear of your diagnosis, My Mum was diagnosed just yesterday, you have Alzheimers Dementia, eat well, do quizzes and take this medication. Have a nice life. You will lash out at those closest to you, carers always take that brunt but who explains that it’s not uncommon or personal. YOU DO NOT DESERVE TO BE ALONE. And I cannot imagine your wife deserting you. But she will need someone to support her.
Hello @Ehwright and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to read about your mum's recent diagnosis, even if you were half expecting it, it still comes as a shock. You might find it helpful to start a regular thread in the area - I care for a person with dementia and I have attached a link below. There you can ask questions, seek advice or just have a rant if needed.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellen C