Welcome to Talking Point! Find out more and say hello...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark_W

Sep 28, 2015
London
Welcome to Talking Point :)

If you have dementia, or care for someone who does, you're very welcome to join our community and get support from others. Find out more about how to join and say hi to our friendly community on this discussion!

Finding out more

If you've got questions about how to use Talking Point click on these links below.
  • You can find answers to frequently asked questions here.
  • Our Help videos will show you how to navigate the different areas of Talking Point.
  • We also have a Quick Guide explaining how to use Talking Point including logging in, posting, replying, checking private messages and searching.
  • Also we recommend having a read through our Guidelines which are some useful tips and things to remember when posting.

Connecting with others

Head over to our list of forums to find people who are in a similar situation, people at a similar stage of dementia or an information topic that interests you.

Here are some tips on how to post a reply or start your own discussion...

1. When you're in a forum, look for the blue "Post New Thread" or "Reply" buttons at the top or bottom of discussions

post a thread smaller screen.png

reply to thread smaller screen.png

2. To start a discussion, type a title, add your message and choose 'Create Thread'.

create thread smaller screen.png

3. To add a reply just add your message and choose "Reply"

reply screen smaller screen.png

---

Any questions?

If you have any questions about using Talking Point, you can email us on talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk or Use our Contact Form - we're here to help.

Saying hello

This is our welcome thread - the place many members start. Our volunteer hosts and regular members are here to say hello to you and to welcome you to our community.

Why not tell us a little about your experience and how you'd like Talking Point to help you?

Whatever you're facing today, we hope you find our community to be helpful and supportive.

Mark :)

Eldivo

Dec 1, 2018
Hi I'm a career for my hubby, who is 64 and has frontal lobe dementia, about 5 months ago he started to urinate in the bedroom ,he does wear inconternace pants,but if I don't wake in time he pulls them down and wets were he's standing. I was just wondering if any one else has this problem, and any advice on how to get rid of the smell.i have tried a few neturlizers, but carnt seem to get rid of smell. Many thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello Elvido and welcome to Talking Point.
Im afraid this problem is only too common. Usually its because they cant remember where the bathroom is. Would an alarm mat which would wake you when he gets up help?

In the meantime, pet accident neutraliser works well. Also try putting a puppy training pad down beside the bed.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Eldivo, welcome to the forum. As has been said this is a common issue and pet cat products can be good for the smell.

Now that you have found us I hope you keep posting for support.

Do take a good look around the forum as it is a goldmine for information. Old threads are a good read and then the Society Publications List is very informative and can be found with this link https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

If you want to search for any support services in your area you can do a post code search by following this link
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

Eldivo

Dec 1, 2018
Hello Elvido and welcome to Talking Point.
Im afraid this problem is only too common. Usually its because they cant remember where the bathroom is. Would an alarm mat which would wake you when he gets up help?

In the meantime, pet accident neutraliser works well. Also try putting a puppy training pad down beside the bed.

Eldivo

Dec 1, 2018
Thanks for help I will have a look at the alarm mats,I know he no longer knows where the toilet is,also I think he doesn't remember that is where he's suppose to go.i will also try pet neutralizer .than you all for your advice

TowerOfSong

Dec 27, 2018
Hello there, thank you for letting me join. My mother had a diagnosis of Mixed Vascular with Alzheimer's a few weeks ago after some memory problems, and very worryingly it seems to be progressing rapidly. So I am scrutinising this site for advice and tips.

Thank you

TowerOfSong

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello there, thank you for letting me join. My mother had a diagnosis of Mixed Vascular with Alzheimer's a few weeks ago after some memory problems, and very worryingly it seems to be progressing rapidly. So I am scrutinising this site for advice and tips.

Thank you

TowerOfSong
Hello @TowerOfSong , you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

Do take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

anxious annie

Jan 2, 2019
Hi Mark
I posted for the first time today and had a reply from karaoke pete. I tried to type below his reply and send my reply, but it said I wasn't allowed to post the content. I'm not sure how to reply to members on the thread and wonder if you know what i did wrong?
anxious annie

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi Mark
I posted for the first time today and had a reply from karaoke pete. I tried to type below his reply and send my reply, but it said I wasn't allowed to post the content. I'm not sure how to reply to members on the thread and wonder if you know what i did wrong?
anxious annie
Just go to the empty box at the bottom of the thread - as you did this time.

I'm not sure what went wrong when you tried to post but you may get some value out of the videos on the help page, which you can find by clicking this link https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/help/

Gomezfamily

Jan 1, 2019
Hello Everyone,
Happy new year! My dad was diagnosed Young Onset Dementia/Alzheimer's about 6 years ago. We somewhat celebrated his 61st birthday last Friday. He no longer speaks sentences or can care for himself. This is so so difficult for our family:(

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hello Everyone,
Happy new year! My dad was diagnosed Young Onset Dementia/Alzheimer's about 6 years ago. We somewhat celebrated his 61st birthday last Friday. He no longer speaks sentences or can care for himself. This is so so difficult for our family:(
Welcome to TP, Gomezfamily. Sorry your dad is struggling badly now. Does he have carers in from an outside agency ? You and he are definitely entitled to a care assessment and a care needs assessment from Social Services in which you can ask for help with care and / or day centres if you have not already done so.
https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets is a good place to look for help,, though there are always knowledgeable and supportive people here.

Doodles87

Sep 4, 2018
Hi,

My name is Danielle and my dad has Vascular Dementia and Alzheimer's. We recently returned from a once in a lifetime family holiday and l I can say it was hell! I see my dad on a daily basis anyway, but I guess he was severely disorientated, had toilet issues and on occasions very aggressive. We are home for 2 weeks before my parents fly to the far East to travel round. I've been trying to persuade my mum not to go as she's barely coping at home and holiday was much worse, I don't know what to do?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome to Talking Point @Doodles87/ Danielle.

I would continue trying to persuade your mum to cancel the far eastern holiday, however disappointing it may be.

I continued to holiday with my husband until it became too stressful. His confusion increased with each holiday. I couldn`t go to the toilet and leave him to wait for me because he wandered off. He had a panic attack on a trip and we had to sit it out for two hours until he calmed down. He had problems with flights of steps. Other incidents which I`m sure you will relate to made me realise the time had come.

If your mother is without your support it will be even more difficult for her.

Mags62

Jan 5, 2019
My Dad has had dementia for some time. He has always been absent- minded so it has been hard to understand when this became a problem. He is not looking after his personal hygiene but then again this is something that we have noticed for many years. He is living in a rented flat in a retirement community. He now needs a bit of help to remember to change his clothes and he forgets to take his medication. None of the family lives nearby. He is refusing to have carers.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
My Dad has had dementia for some time. He has always been absent- minded so it has been hard to understand when this became a problem. He is not looking after his personal hygiene but then again this is something that we have noticed for many years. He is living in a rented flat in a retirement community. He now needs a bit of help to remember to change his clothes and he forgets to take his medication. None of the family lives nearby. He is refusing to have carers.

Good morning and welcome to the TP. I'm sorry to read of your situation but I'm glad you have found the forum. I know you will get lots of help and support here.

Now that you have introduced yourself you might find it helpful to begin a thread of your own. Lots of people do this. It will allow you to share your concerns, ask questions or even just have a rant. You'll also be able to keep all of your replies in the one place. Just go to the area

I Care For A Person With Dementia

Click on the 'Post New Thread' box and you'll be all set.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi,

My name is Danielle and my dad has Vascular Dementia and Alzheimer's. We recently returned from a once in a lifetime family holiday and l I can say it was hell! I see my dad on a daily basis anyway, but I guess he was severely disorientated, had toilet issues and on occasions very aggressive. We are home for 2 weeks before my parents fly to the far East to travel round. I've been trying to persuade my mum not to go as she's barely coping at home and holiday was much worse, I don't know what to do?
a warm welcome from me too
I hope your mum comes to change her mind
but maybe start putting plans b and c in place just in case, so if your mum calls for help family are ready to jump in eg check on travelling arrangements, costs, communication ie has she a mobile, what are hotel phone numbers etc
and, vice versa, being cruel to be kind, tell your mum straight that if she goes ahead and things go wrong, she will have to deal with it on her own (until someone can get them help or get there to help)

Orca no1

Jan 8, 2019
Hi everybody hope you are all well,mum has Vascular Dementia,diagnosed 2years ago but had memory problems for years and yes we did blame it on old age (rubbish)!

Status
Not open for further replies.