Today

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
The walking behind is so stressful. You have to keep looking over your shoulder.

I tried to change it by holding hands which was fine until I suffered back and hip pain because my husband seemed to pull me to one side.

sapphire turner

Jan 14, 2022
I don’t blame you for crying, I would have too. It’s no wonder we make silly mistakes when we are under such pressure. I hate going anywhere with my husband now, he is so critical about how I drive and I always end up doing something wrong and he goes on and on. It’s funny I can drive just fine when I am on my own! I hope you can get the ticket repealed but it’s not your fault. Sending love ❤️xxx

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Thank you, I knew my friends here would understand. I find the walking behind especially difficult as I get back and neck ache constantly looking over my shoulder, and he pulls away when I try to take his arm or hand - this is a man who was always holding my hand or arm before the dementia, a double loss. Annoying thing about the parking ticket is that it is a large multi storey car park, loads of empty spaces today and you need to scan the blue badge to get the discount when you pay (before leaving), so unless you need the disabled space why would I have parked there. Now I’ll have to appeal, and if it doesn’t come through within 2 weeks fine doubles.

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
So sorry to read of your stressful day. My late husband used to walk behind me. I didn’t realise it was a common thing.

Tomorrow s another day @Knitandpurl , here’s hoping it’s a better one.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
These ‘small‘ things all add up and our stress buckets overflow 😢😢😢 I have to admit I have cried and sometimes raised my voice a little bit to various inept utility providers when it all gets too much.

I do hope tomorrow is a better day xxxx

GillP

Aug 11, 2021
Just wondering - why do they walk behind? My OH does it all the time.
Could it be for reassurance? They want to be able to see us? I know this doesn’t explain why some then wander off. Just a thought.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
mine does it too. i go on my mobility scooter and match my speed to him but he always goes behind so i hurt my back and neck checking where he is. ive told him so many times but he walks slow and gets buffered if not careful so i like to shield him. one reason we dont go out any more together. getting on a bus with it, hes in my way or walks in front of me. he gets impatient and pushes past people. ive forgotten to do something, you have so many things going that something is bound to slip. juggling plates.

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
My O H does it too...always walks behind me....long before we knew he had alzheimers, and he would shrug off my arm when crossing the road...he said it was so he could see where I was.....as if he couldn't see me when I was walking beside him....

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
🤞on the ticket. My OH told me once he walks behind me so he can follow me (I think he means not walk into things/get lost), it doesn’t work . Tried to tell him if he held my arm or even just walked beside me I could make sure he didn’t walk into things or get lost, but it didn’t make any difference. Had told me this evening that I’ve spoilt a nice day by being upset over the ticket….. obviously we have different interpretations of the day prior to the ticket…..

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
mine does it too. i go on my mobility scooter and match my speed to him but he always goes behind so i hurt my back and neck checking where he is. ive told him so many times but he walks slow and gets buffered if not careful so i like to shield him. one reason we dont go out any more together. getting on a bus with it, hes in my way or walks in front of me. he gets impatient and pushes past people. ive forgotten to do something, you have so many things going that something is bound to slip. juggling plates.
That must be SO difficult with the scooter, you must be worrying that you are going to run into him…. I find getting on a bus with OH difficult enough with just his dementia and sight problems.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
That must be SO difficult with the scooter, you must be worrying that you are going to run into him…. I find getting on a bus with OH difficult enough with just his dementia and sight problems.
i cant manage him and the scooter now. not been on a bus since july as its so pressurized putting it in the wheelchair space especially as most passengers are experts and i get the benefit of wisdom of them 😵‍💫 😵‍💫

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
We are on holiday - Whitby , postponed from beginning of November due to the broken wrist. Well it’s been so windy we have spent most of the time indoors and yesterday got out and just walking and his leg ‘went’, appears to have pulled a muscle in his calf, I had to help him limp to a spot where I could bring the car to and then go fetch it. End of trip out. Today he insists we go out so I take us on a drive to Saltburn, went down like a lead balloon. Back now and he’s asleep. Looking forward to going home!!!!

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
We are on holiday - Whitby , postponed from beginning of November due to the broken wrist. Well it’s been so windy we have spent most of the time indoors and yesterday got out and just walking and his leg ‘went’, appears to have pulled a muscle in his calf, I had to help him limp to a spot where I could bring the car to and then go fetch it. End of trip out. Today he insists we go out so I take us on a drive to Saltburn, went down like a lead balloon. Back now and he’s asleep. Looking forward to going home!!!!
thats a shame. couldnt you hire wheelchair or have fun with a mobility scooter you could hire?

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
thats a shame. couldnt you hire wheelchair or have fun with a mobility scooter you could hire?
Lovely idea, but absolutely no chance of him agreeing to that. Mind you as his sight is very poor, probably safer not. He says he’s going to climb the steps to the abbey tomorrow……. Obviously a miracle recovery is to happen overnight.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Lovely idea, but absolutely no chance of him agreeing to that. Mind you as his sight is very poor, probably safer not. He says he’s going to climb the steps to the abbey tomorrow……. Obviously a miracle recovery is to happen overnight.
can you let us know what it is, might help others!!

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Well this was yesterday not today but in the evening - out of the blue OH looked directly at me and says “thank you”. Smiling I said that’s nice, thank you too, but what for - “looking after me”. Brought tears to my eyes. And this morning I have been out (do talking newspaper reading twice a month), and come back to find he’s washed and dried the dishes. Strange after complete disappearance of empathy a couple of years ago that recently it’s returned. I’m appreciating and enjoying.