Today

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Oh @Knitandpurl so very sorry To hear ur news 😢😢😢
Glad you have some dinners on order and hope maybe some friends /family make some doorstop drops xx

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London
You really are going through the mill at the moment @Knitandpurl - I hope you manage to get a bit of time to rest and recover - though I know it's not easy.

Your neighbour sounds lovely and caring, small actions like hers go such a long way. I know that when I was caring for my husband a neighbour of mine brought down the occasional meal when I was ill or when I had been sitting up the hospital for hours on end for my husband - I was so grateful.

Ready meals in the freezer were definitely a life saver at times too!

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Thank you all . On the plus side at the moment hubby is trying to help and show a bit of sympathy. Unfortunately his ‘help’ often creates more work be we’re all used to that. And he keeps forgetting, wanted us to go to local cafe for dinner today! Wants me to go anyway despite the Covid!! When we had the full lock downs the lectures he gave me for meeting up with my son or daughter for a walk and take with us coffee had to be heard to be believed. He’s very happy that no one is coming round and I’m not going out but still wants ‘us’ to go out. Even if I didn’t think it just plain wrong, at the moment I do not feel up to it. Like the housework it can wait. Hope you all have a good and peaceful weekend.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Not posted on here for a couple of weeks. I don’t like this time of year, it always seems to bring further progression of this awful disease. Hubby has slept nearly all afternoon and most of the evening. After sleeping over 12 hours last night. And a few minutes ago had no idea what time of the day it was, I know this happens with dementia but it’s a new one for us. On the wrist front, I am now on the 3rd cast having got the last one changed on Monday, fantastic service rang up Monday first thing saying how it was rubbing on the metal pins (look more like bolts in Frankenstein’s neck) and all done by 11.00 a.m. , and we had to get the bus in which takes half an hour.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Not posted on here for a couple of weeks. I don’t like this time of year, it always seems to bring further progression of this awful disease. Hubby has slept nearly all afternoon and most of the evening. After sleeping over 12 hours last night. And a few minutes ago had no idea what time of the day it was, I know this happens with dementia but it’s a new one for us. On the wrist front, I am now on the 3rd cast having got the last one changed on Monday, fantastic service rang up Monday first thing saying how it was rubbing on the metal pins (look more like bolts in Frankenstein’s neck) and all done by 11.00 a.m. , and we had to get the bus in which takes half an hour.
i think its the shorter days that seems to make them sleep along with the heating being on so they are toasty. your wrist sounds painful. do you put something over it to stop it getting wet?

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Thank you Jennifer1967, the wrist isn’t too bad now, (6weeks in), the cast would have been off by now if I hadn’t opted for op and the pins but the doctor said I would lose a lot of movement and strength, they come out next week. I just hold the arm above my head when I’m showering, I couldn’t tie or tape a bag on and hubby would not be able to, his eye sight is really very poor. It’s things like opening bottles and jars, and putting on pillowslips that have proved the biggest challenge.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Thank you Jennifer1967, the wrist isn’t too bad now, (6weeks in), the cast would have been off by now if I hadn’t opted for op and the pins but the doctor said I would lose a lot of movement and strength, they come out next week. I just hold the arm above my head when I’m showering, I couldn’t tie or tape a bag on and hubby would not be able to, his eye sight is really very poor. It’s things like opening bottles and jars, and putting on pillowslips that have proved the biggest challenge.
i keep having the podiatrist who deals with my toe and dresses it. i have like a waterproof thing that i pull on to stop the dressing getting wet and i can shower himself and me. its stops wter getting on bandages and casts and you just pull it on.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I can’t believe you’ve been caring with a wrist in a cast @Knitandpurl

I suppose we just get on with it…but it must have made life so much harder 😢😢😢

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
I can’t believe you’ve been caring with a wrist in a cast @Knitandpurl

I suppose we just get on with it…but it must have made life so much harder 😢😢😢
Yep, definitely a challenge, there was the evening we couldn’t manage to open the tin of tuna between us, ended up with jam sandwiches. House cleanliness is not up to normal standards. But OH has really tried to help after the first 2 days. And the children have rallies round too. But never knew about a plastic bag you could just pull on with one hand! Washing the dishes (pots) has been hard, he wouldn’t be able to do them properly. If this was permanent a dishwasher would be in the Xmas present list. I am lucky that my OH can still manage personal hygiene with only very limited input.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Yep, definitely a challenge, there was the evening we couldn’t manage to open the tin of tuna between us, ended up with jam sandwiches. House cleanliness is not up to normal standards. But OH has really tried to help after the first 2 days. And the children have rallies round too. But never knew about a plastic bag you could just pull on with one hand! Washing the dishes (pots) has been hard, he wouldn’t be able to do them properly. If this was permanent a dishwasher would be in the Xmas present list. I am lucky that my OH can still manage personal hygiene with only very limited input.
i got it on amazon in their health section. its shaped like a big foot and has a sealed top. they do the wrist ones as well and all sorts. you put in protection for bandages and casts. i would have whole weeks where he wouldnt have a shower without getting my foot wet/your arm wet

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
This morning OH and I went to next door neighbours for tea/coffee mince pies etc. They do this every year. A lovely young family always there if you need them. They had invited everybody on our local ‘street’ What’s App Group, some people had said they couldn’t attend but of the others only one other lady came. They had the table beautifully set, switched on all their outside lights, rushed to get the Xmas tree up and decorated, baked ….. Better for me and OH as large groups are very difficult for him but I really felt for them. Sometimes people can be so thoughtless.

scotlass

Jul 9, 2023
That was so very nice and thoughtful of your neighbours, and it's good to know you have someone close by if you need them.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I’m glad you got to enjoy the kindness of your neighbours @Knitandpurl 🥰🥰 I hope they saw the effort they had made were appreciated by you and your OH.

I find this side of Christmas so difficult. I love the idea of these community type gatherings but everyone is so ‘busy’. I used to try and encourage them but have given up…

Is your wrist ok now?

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
I’m glad you got to enjoy the kindness of your neighbours @Knitandpurl 🥰🥰 I hope they saw the effort they had made were appreciated by you and your OH.

I find this side of Christmas so difficult. I love the idea of these community type gatherings but everyone is so ‘busy’. I used to try and encourage them but have given up…

Is your wrist ok now?
Yes, thank you, back knitting and driving which helps to keep me sane. Been very lucky.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Well not ‘Today’ actually, but yesterday, it was my birthday - my sister gave me a pair of lovely pale blue glass earrings - made from recycled Bombay gin bottles - had to giggle, Hope I’ve not got a ‘reputation’. Another giggle was birthday card from step daughter - front shows older couple on deck chairs laughing, she’s got legs firmly crossed- words say : Griwing old has some real advantages … you can laugh, sneeze and pee all at the same time! OH was in hysterics. So nice to hear him have a really good laugh. And I had a lovely day, and he was on very best behaviour and nice to both my son who took us out for lunch, and my daughter who dropped round later. Feeling very blessed this morning.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
Well not ‘Today’ actually, but yesterday, it was my birthday - my sister gave me a pair of lovely pale blue glass earrings - made from recycled Bombay gin bottles - had to giggle, Hope I’ve not got a ‘reputation’. Another giggle was birthday card from step daughter - front shows older couple on deck chairs laughing, she’s got legs firmly crossed- words say : Griwing old has some real advantages … you can laugh, sneeze and pee all at the same time! OH was in hysterics. So nice to hear him have a really good laugh. And I had a lovely day, and he was on very best behaviour and nice to both my son who took us out for lunch, and my daughter who dropped round later. Feeling very blessed this morning.
happy birthday @Knitandpurl glad you had a good day

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Well I dived round the local small supermarket (where my wife used to work) so now I'm ready mealed up in the fridge and freezer until the new year.
K

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Well I dived round the local small supermarket (where my wife used to work) so now I'm ready mealed up in the fridge and freezer until the new year.
K
Well done you , wishing you, and all my Support Forum friends a Vey Happy Christmas - hope everything goes smoothly for us all. Here this evening (after lovely yesterday) we are just about speaking, had good walk and lunch out, I stopped to talk to a neighbour when we got out the car, and hadn’t unlocked door, OH got the hump, said I had left him standing around like a spare part, when I said he could have joined in the conversation, he swore at me and threw the shopping down….. so unlike his pre dementia self. Oh well at least I managed to get the door shut first so hopefully the neighbours didn’t hear, but probably did.

Knitandpurl

Aug 9, 2021
Lincolnshire
Could do with a holiday. Or even a little time apart. Went into town, OH had jumper and shirt to take back . As I’m sure you all know shopping is always difficult. The constant shaking me off, walking behind me then losing me, stupid embarrassing’jokes’ with shop assistants, saying things over and over, disagreeing with absolutely everything I say etc etc. Tgen back and knees killing me we return to car, by this time he’s had enough too and in a mood. And we’ve got a ticket on the car because I’ve forgotten to put the blue badge on display. I just cried, stupid, but it was the last straw. Sorry for rant, but I know you will all understand. Now another thing to do trying to appeal….

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlight1