The funny side of dementia

Oxy

Jul 19, 2014
Funny lilac blossom, in retrospect but shows how lack of communication can instil fear in their dementia patients.

worriedson1

Jan 30, 2012
I feel like when somethng happens in the lounge at the home mum is in when i stifle my laughter, i feel it's like "Nervous Laughter" like laughing when you shouldnt be laughing.

Dad really liked opening his "birthday" present. Quite how the Christmas decorations in the room relate in his mind to his summer birthday, I can't fathom. Nevertheless, just for once, his dementia made something better. He struggled to unwrap his present, not sure mentally how to do it and not physically co-ordinated, but you know how it is when you get a present and the longer it takes you to open it, the more exciting it is? That's how it was for him.

Of course, now he doesn't know where the item came from but he's very pleased he's got it. That's what matters.

Last edited:

Gingertwist

Aug 8, 2014
We had quite a good Xmas day with my Mum. Her first comment was that my partner had a large stomach and had put on so much weight (he hasnt) but it broke the ice and we were all laughing. She then said we were all getting fat and that we must be eating well! She ate so much herself and had three glasses of wine. (Before this disease started she would not join in would push food around her plate and would never drink, and would clock watch until it was time to leave). I can honestly say that this was the best Christmas we have had with her for years, I usually dread it, but now I feel sad that this disease seems to have changed her personality, which for some reason has been hidden all these years and that this may be the last Christmas that we will have as her memory is deteriorating quickly. She took home with her a Christmas decoration of a silver heart decorated with small bells. She said she needed to do something with it but that I would get it back one day??!! She did seem happy and I hope that she will remember at least some part of the day.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
We had quite a good Xmas day with my Mum. Her first comment was that my partner had a large stomach and had put on so much weight (he hasnt) but it broke the ice and we were all laughing. She then said we were all getting fat and that we must be eating well! She ate so much herself and had three glasses of wine. (Before this disease started she would not join in would push food around her plate and would never drink, and would clock watch until it was time to leave). I can honestly say that this was the best Christmas we have had with her for years, I usually dread it, but now I feel sad that this disease seems to have changed her personality, which for some reason has been hidden all these years and that this may be the last Christmas that we will have as her memory is deteriorating quickly. She took home with her a Christmas decoration of a silver heart decorated with small bells. She said she needed to do something with it but that I would get it back one day??!! She did seem happy and I hope that she will remember at least some part of the day.

That's a lovely post - so nice to read that you had such a lovely Christmas :) x

LyndseyB

Dec 31, 2014
Cardiff
I love this thread, thank you so much for sharing. Its been a really hard day with my Mum and this has been the first time i've laughed properly all day.

ClaireUK

Apr 17, 2014
My father in law emailed me to tell me that there was something on the TV about dementia, and my Mother in Law (who was diagnosed with vas dementia) said "isn't it a shame about those people with dementia, I'd like to volunteer and help the poor souls".

jen54

May 20, 2014
you have to laugh or you would cry, my mum is the same - "so glad I haven't got that, or hope I dont get that when I am old" she tried to help another elderly lady last time we took dad to hospital, offering to take her arm, mum was hobbling along herself as it was! she really thinks she is much younger than she is, heartbreaking .

southlucia

Dec 19, 2011
My visits to Dad at the NH are distressing and sad, but there are occasionally the odd funny moments that make me feel a bit better.

A new resident recently arrived at the home. He was sat on the opposite side of the lounge to Dad and me, but I could clearly hear him and his lovely Irish accent. (This is a NH in London) “Did you have a lovely Christmas, and did you see Santa?” he asked a carer. I couldn’t hear the carer’s response, but he then asked “If you didn’t see Santa, maybe you saw Humpty Dumpty?” The carer was laughing. He then continued, “Did you see Humpty? and was he falling off a wall?” The carer close to him was giggling, then I started, then another carer did too. My dad started to laugh, even though he didn’t know why, but was obviously laughing because I was. It was a lovely moment.

Dad was recently reviewed by CHC. I spent almost three hours with the assessor, and she then asked to see Dad. The nurse, assessor and I went to the lounge. She knelt down by Dad’s chair, pointed to the nurse and asked Dad, “Who’s this?” He replied very firmly, “Maggot”. Well, she did ask! (The nurse is actually very lovely)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I love this thread :D

Recently mum was 90 yrs old and I arranged a small party for her. Both my brother and I were there as were her grandchildren, plus all the spouses.

Mum got treated like a queen and reveled in it all, telling everyone over and over that she was "90 now, dontcha know"

However, she was having trouble working out who her grandchildren were as they are all in their twenties and she was dimly aware that they had some relationship to her, but wasnt sure what. Finally she twigged "Grandchildren?!" she said amazed "You are my grandchildren??!!!"

Then she paused while she considered it "I must be really old!!!!!"

Yes Grandma - you are 90
:D

Annie56

Feb 8, 2009
Cirencester
Mum found visiting dad in his NH very difficult (we sadly lost him last May).
After one visit we were sitting at home and she turned to me and said "they don't people down anymore do they? Rather taken aback I replied "well I don't think they ever have mum, I think you're getting mixed up with vets" she said " yes, I think I probably am"!

I've started making a log of the funny things that happen, it brightens up an otherwise very hard existence.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
We were watching TV together one night some time ago when OH asked, "when you clean the TV do you take out the currents?"

Seems like what he was really asking was, "When you do a clean up on the computer, do you delete the cookies?"

A while ago OH wanted to print off something off the computer. He called me in to help him because he was very concerned. A dialogue box had come up asking him to choose either portrait or landscape and he didn't know how he would be able to read the document if it was so little!

Anniebell

Jan 31, 2015
One thing I found particularly funny was my gran was blowing her nose and complaining saying "oh dear these tissues are a lot rougher than the ones I usually buy" when I turned around she was blowing her nose on a slice of bread! I was in stitches and when I pointed out what she was doing she was too haha

Can't breath for laughing that is so funny, mum comes out with some corkers will have a think and then post some this thread is just what we need keep it up x

1953barney

Nov 5, 2013
Suffolk
This is a great thread and had a good laugh reading your posts. My mum said the other day to myself and my daughter, do you know I woke up in a shop window in town this morning!! Well my daughter laughed first and then we were all laughing, it was good to see mum laugh....

TWHITE

Jan 27, 2015
True

This is so true, lol I know how hard it can be caring for someone with dementia, but as you said it can have its funny side.
My wife just told me how mum was sitting in the living room and our cat TC appeared at the rear patio doors wanting to come in. My wife asked mum to open the sliding door to let him in. After a few minuets of trying to open the door she succeeded and TC duly trotted in. He walked straight over to the kitchen door and my mum saw him and said AWWW do you want to go out?? She opened the front door and let him straight out the front!!!

Katrine

Jan 20, 2011
England
Not so strange really. I can see the cat's POV. He wanted to go somewhere but the house was in the way. My kids do this. Come in through the back door and straight out the front door. It's a shortcut to the pub. ;)

Oh, duh, now I get it. :eek: Cat was expecting food!

alwaysfretting

Jan 1, 2015
Hope this doesn't offend anyone. In my defence, I don't have much to laugh about at the moment so I make the most of it:-

Mum had a phase of trying to persuade random people to take her shopping. There's a nice young man who lives opposite her for instance. I'd taken her out shopping and we stopped at a cafe for lunch, surrounded by yummy mummies and she was discussing getting this lad to take her out. She said to me, 'do you think Jeremy will drive me to tesco in exchange for sex?'. 'In exchange for sex!' I shrieked loudly and all the yummy mummies stared at me. Mum looked at me bewildered. 'No dear, I didn't say that'. A moment later the penny dropped and mum said, ' no, I said in exchange for x , - x amount for petrol!'

Mum has deteriorated since then but it still makes us laugh. And I can't quite look her neighbour in the eye!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
No, thats not offensive - I can just imagine the looks on their faces!
When mum was last at the memory clinic she tried to proposition the consultant!
She kept saying things like "oh you can come home with me any time you like!" :eek:
I didnt know where to look, but fortunately he found it very funny. In retrospect Im finding it funny too :D

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Mum has had a multitude of boyfriends most of which she has no idea of their name. One of her interests she informed was "oh I suppose I shouldn't tell you (giggles) but I have a passion for the bus driver "
Not actually words I ever thought I would hear my mother but I too had a giggle over the phrasing

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
Went to see mum today. A staff member came up to say hello to mum and I . Mum said " oh have you met my ......" she looked at me thought about it and said "mother? " my reply "no mum the other one". "Ahh my daughter " I did laugh though she still didn't remember my name .

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Batty