Does tiredness make symptoms worse?

Peg53

Nov 16, 2023
We’re still waiting for a formal diagnosis but the neurologist has said my partner likely has young onset Alzheimer’s, he’s 53 and has a stressful job. He’s still working at the moment but weekday evenings after a day at work he’s so much worse than the weekends. He can’t cope with tech, I help him with personal admin, emails etc but I’ve noticed that when he’s not stressed or tired he’s more switched on. Still terrible with plans, days, times, instructions but definitely more present.

Do any of you also notice that symptoms are worse when your loved one is tired or stressed?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Oh yes @Peg53 , no doubt about it.
My OH is no longer working, but if family have come to visit, there are workmen in the house, or anything else that disrupts his routine, he is much worse in the evening and the next day.
Perhaps it is time for your husband to take medical retirement?

Peg53

Nov 16, 2023
@canary, thank you. He’s had conversations with his boss and HR and he’s waiting to see what they come back with but yes, he and I both agree that it’s time to leave. It puts such a lot of pressure on him, I think it’d help him a lot to not be there anymore.

Peg53

Nov 16, 2023
@Grannie G, it’s helpful to know it contributes. He gets much more easily confused when he’s tired but knowing that it happens can give me another way to help him in certain situations.

GlennBurch

Apr 10, 2024
Yes, this is a fairly common observation. Dementia symptoms such as forgetfulness, confusion and poor concentration may worsen when you are tired or stressed. It's important to pay attention to these factors and try to create a calmer, more supportive environment for your partner, especially during times of increased fatigue or stress.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ering