The funny side of dementia

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
:D
My dad goes to his dementia club on a Friday , apparently the conversations are yet to be fathomed:rolleyes::confused::D

Maymab

Oct 8, 2013
Staffs
My husband of nearly 56 years announced "I m going to write the story of my life and you'll be in it!"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
My husband of nearly 56 years announced "I m going to write the story of my life and you'll be in it!"

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Talking Point mobile app

Oh, isn't that sweet?

When I reminded my husband of 54 years that I am his wife he said " Are you really? You'd think I'd remember that wouldn't you?"

Bittersweet.

beverrino

Jan 12, 2015
My mum has been having problems with her television. She keeps saying how she doesn't like the TV, but watches BBC news religiously (and just the odd soap).
I said to her - 'You might have to get a new TV' (she hates change of any kind) and she said 'I will not. I would rather not have a TV', so I said 'but you like to watch the news' with which her reply was ' well I can always watch the headlines on the TV' ???
Made me laugh :)

Long-Suffering

Jul 6, 2015
Some great stories on here.

A few weeks back, my dad told my mum very seriously that when he died he wanted us to have all his money and his collection of Abba tapes. He was very insistent about it. The thing is, he doesn't have any Abba tapes and has never been a fan of the band to my knowledge. He's more of a Johnny Cash kind of man. Mum knew nothing about Abba tapes either. So the next day when I spoke to him, I said "What's all this about your collection of Abba tapes, Dad? Do you have one? Where are they?" He didn't answer directly, but this huge, cheeky grin appeared on his face and he said "Winner Takes it All was the best song they ever made". Then continued grinning and chuckling to himself. We may yet find a secret stash of tapes somewhere.

LS

CynthsDaugh

May 5, 2015
Salford, Lancashire
Had to giggle tonight. Mum has ice cream after dinner quite often, and usually just says 'please take the ice cream out of the freezer'. Tonight it was ' have we got anything that can be dessertificated?'. I said I would email Oxford English Dictionary to propose her new word after I'd taken the ice cream out of the freezer.

snorkmaiden

Mar 8, 2014
Surrey
"He didn't answer directly, but this huge, cheeky grin appeared on his face and he said "Winner Takes it All was the best song they ever made". Then continued grinning and chuckling to himself.

Doesn't it make it extra special when our loved ones can enjoy these moments as well? There's not much fun with dementia (understatement!) but how wonderful when fun and humour can still be shared with those we love? I certainly cherish such moments with my Dad. Humour certainly lightens the load for me for a bit so THANK YOU all for sharing your own funnies xxx

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I had to put this on here as well even though I put it on my 'feel a bit better now'

I shouldn't laugh but this has still got me giggling, I had a Asda shop delivered and while I was putting them away Allen said "can I help" so I said "oh yes thank you take the bananas and apples out of that bag and put them in the fruit bowl please"

He went off into the living room while I was busy and he shouted have we got another fruit bowl, I said I think they will go in that one,
so when I went in a bit later he had a pile of bananas, 6 tomatoes 4 onions a bag of ready cooked prunes and the apples piled up in the fruit bowl, it was like Blackpool tower

Last edited:

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I took mum to the local village fete last week and she seemed to be under the illusion that she had organised it all. As we went past a group of blokes in striped tops and scarves who were singing sea-shanties she said in that loud voice that only the very young and the very old seem to employ "I dont think we will book them for next year....."

Sheepteach

Sep 4, 2011
Somerset
Loving this thread. :)

Don't know how I've missed this thread before - anyhow, thought I would add a little to it.

Earlier this year I finally persuaded Dad to replace his 50+ year old lino. All the furniture was duly removed from kitchen and breakfast room and after about two hours I had to put up with "Have they finished yet?" for the rest of the day.

When it was eventually finished and normality was resumed he was delighted with the new vinyl, proudly stating "There are no flaws in this floor, are there!" ;)

fizzbomb

May 10, 2014
lancashire
I went to visit my mam in the hospital the other day. We were sat in a TV lounge, nurses, carers, and other patients. Sometimes when I cuddle her, I also stoke her hair, she likes it, it soothes her. Well this time she decided to return the gesture, and she stroked my hair... and promptly looked at her hand in disgust, wiped it on her skirt and said loudly 'Ooh when was the last time you washed your hair?' to which the whole room erupted with laughter( myself included). I explained that it was hair spray, but she didn't believe me.:eek:
The next day I went to visit, and decided not to put any hairspray on , just in case... she saw me, looked at my hair and said, again, loudly... 'so is it windy outside then?'.... gotta love how she speaks now, there's no filter any more. And to be honest, I just love it when I get a sentence from her that I understand! I think next time I'll wear a hat...;)

Slugsta

Aug 25, 2015
South coast of England
My MIL was never officially diagnosed with dementia. However, she had always been 'scatty' and that certainly did not get better when she was terminally ill.

One day I arrived for my 'shift' and she was mithering about taking a photo of the garden. She was adamant that I should do this and would brook no arguments.

Just do as I tell you' she said 'take this...turn around...walk across the lounge...stop...turn back...now take a photo, over my head, of the garden.'

'I'd love to Mum' I replied 'but what I have been trying to tell you is that this is your phone...'

looviloo

May 3, 2015
Cheshire
This thread brings a smile to my face, and I have to share a conversation I had last week with one the residents in my dad's care home. The resident doesn't have dementia but he sits at a table with a gentleman whose dementia is quite severe.

The resident told me "we had some entertainment at breakfast today... xxx poured the whole bowl of sugar over his porridge and stirred it in, and then he added his glass of orange juice and stirred that in too"

I smiled, and the resident commented "at least it's an efficient way to eat your breakfast, all in one bowl"

So I replied (with a smile) "will you be trying it yourself, then?"

To which the answer was "oh no... {long pause}... I don't like orange juice..."

I was chuckling all day after that!

Mrsbusy

Aug 15, 2015
My mum made me smile in Sunday, she was waiting to go out with an old work friend who doesn't really know much about dementia and they haven't seen each other for at least five years. She was getting very anxious so wandered off upstairs, where I heard her chatting to the cat about 'oh this is where you hide then is it, you are a lazy old thing etc'.

I went to the front window to look for the friends arrival, only to find the cat stretched out on the window sill, I'm sure he was saying don't tell her I'm here because I'm comfy.
Mum was still having a chat with the cat upstairs unaware.

josephinewilson

May 19, 2015
Lancashire
Thanks for this thread!

I'm glad to have found this thread because to be honest, reading through other threads when I have posted my own posts, I've found it rather depressing to think of what I have got coming to me with my mother's dementia. So this was a welcome relief. This one made me smile - my OH's mother has Alzheimer's. He goes to see her each night in her sheltered accommodation. He rang the main buzzer - no reply - in the end someone let him in and he went up to her flat - rang her bell - no reply. Knocked on the door - no reply. Stood knocking and ringing for 5 minutes. He knew she was in there because the TV was on loud and he figured she must not have heard him. So then he got out his mobile phone and rang her up. it;'s by her chair so she actually answered. "Hello son - nice to hear from you -where are you?" "Mum! I'm outside your front door -I've been knocking for ages" So after a minute she wandered up to her front door, opened it for him and said "Sorry I didn't answer the door earlier - I've just been on the phone to someone!"

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
I'm glad to have found this thread because to be honest, reading through other threads when I have posted my own posts, I've found it rather depressing to think of what I have got coming to me with my mother's dementia. So this was a welcome relief. This one made me smile - my OH's mother has Alzheimer's. He goes to see her each night in her sheltered accommodation. He rang the main buzzer - no reply - in the end someone let him in and he went up to her flat - rang her bell - no reply. Knocked on the door - no reply. Stood knocking and ringing for 5 minutes. He knew she was in there because the TV was on loud and he figured she must not have heard him. So then he got out his mobile phone and rang her up. it;'s by her chair so she actually answered. "Hello son - nice to hear from you -where are you?" "Mum! I'm outside your front door -I've been knocking for ages" So after a minute she wandered up to her front door, opened it for him and said "Sorry I didn't answer the door earlier - I've just been on the phone to someone!"

Priceless:D

nannylondon

Apr 7, 2014
London

This is brilliantly funny I am sitting here with a big grin on my face great to have a sense of humour it's what keeps me going xxx

CeliaW

Jan 29, 2009
Hampshire
Love it, sounds just the sort of thing my Mum used to say. She often used to phone me and tell me she was ringing about her phone as she was worried about it. When I asked why, she would tell me " it's not working". I would say " Oh, the problem must have sorted itself, phones do that sometimes" There would be a pause, then she would ask "How do you know it's working? You aren't here!" I would then have to say "Oh, I just guessed because you have used it to phone me, but don't worry, let's just hope it stays sorted, I'm sure it will" There would then be this silence, a sort of Harrumph sound and then often she would say "Well, what was it you were ringing me about then?" ☺

Last edited:

MrsTerryN

Dec 17, 2012
A friend rang mum yesterday. She asked mum when was I born. Mum replied she didn't know but there wasn't much age gap between her and I but she was older than me.
Had quite a laugh over that. I think 26 years is a bit of an age difference